REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

8 1/2 or 9 foot?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

8 1/2 or 9 foot?

Postby John Harper » April 30th, 2018, 7:27 am

Not sure whether to go with a 8 1/2 foot 5 weight or 9 foot for trip to Wyoming. Just going to get another Redington CT like my 7 1/2 foot 3 weight. I seem to be able to cast that rod pretty far, so not sure I need all of 9', plus might be a little more maneuverable. I'm leaning towards 8 1/2 foot.

John
John Harper

Re: 8 1/2 or 9 foot?

Postby planettrout » April 30th, 2018, 7:32 am

John,

Where and how will you be fishing ? Small creeks, large rivers, from a boat or still waters ???

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby WanderingBlues » April 30th, 2018, 8:09 am

8.5 will be better for huckin streamers, especially in the wind. 9 will be a better general purpose stick, and will have a little more sensitivity for takes. If it were me, I’d

Get them both....
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 30th, 2018, 8:16 am

WanderingBlues wrote:8.5 will be better for huckin streamers, especially in the wind. 9 will be a better general purpose stick, and will have a little more sensitivity for takes. If it were me, I’d

Get them both....

If I did get both of them, I would have one of them in a 6 wt. The Big Sky Country gets some pretty strong winds every afternoon, where you'll appreciate the extra punch of the 6, especially if throwing big bugs and streamers on big water.
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby John Harper » April 30th, 2018, 9:20 am

planettrout wrote:John,

Where and how will you be fishing ? Small creeks, large rivers, from a boat or still waters ???

PT/TB

No boat, probably not too big a river. I generally fish smaller waters. First trip to Wyoming, but can't see myself on any huge river situation with so much else to choose from.

John
John Harper

Postby fly addict » April 30th, 2018, 9:32 am

I have several 5wt rods and I always grab the 8’6” 5wt when I want to fish a 5wt rod. It is lighter in weight, inherently more accurate and just feels better in the hand to me. The 9’ rod may cast a little further and may make on the water mends a little easier. When I have fished in that part of the country including big rivers such as the Henry’s Fork, or Madison, I fished my 8’6” 5wt and tossed small dries (tricos) to large hoppers. All of my cast were 40’ or much less. If you plan on using streamers or fish in windy conditions a fast action 6wt would be a better choice. You should go cast both rods before you decide to buy one if you can. A good line for a Redington CT would be Rio Gold.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby NorcalBob » April 30th, 2018, 10:04 am

I've bought around 100 fly rods in my lifetime and not a single one of those is 8.5' long!!!! I tend to like bigger rods 9-11', but then again I spend most of my time on bigger rivers/creeks fishing from a boat/floatie thingy. When I'm not on bigger waters, I'm mostly fishing smaller creeks where I use 7-8' rods in light line weights (2-4 wt). For me, if I could only own one rod (hahahahaha!!!! :roll: ) it would be a 9' 5 wt!!!!!
NorcalBob

Postby John Harper » April 30th, 2018, 10:09 am

NorcalBob wrote:I've bought around 100 fly rods in my lifetime and not a single one of those is 8.5' long!!!! I tend to like bigger rods 9-11', but then again I spend most of my time on bigger rivers/creeks fishing from a boat/floatie thingy. When I'm not on bigger waters, I'm mostly fishing smaller creeks where I use 7-8' rods in light line weights (2-4 wt). For me, if I could only own one rod (hahahahaha!!!! :roll: ) it would be a 9' 5 wt!!!!!

Interesting. I guess 6" really doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I'm just so used to fishing tiny creeks except when surf fishing, then a 9' rod really helps.

John
John Harper

Postby John Harper » April 30th, 2018, 10:11 am

fly addict wrote:I have several 5wt rods and I always grab the 8’6” 5wt when I want to fish a 5wt rod. It is lighter in weight, inherently more accurate and just feels better in the hand to me.

Yes, that's why I like my 7 1/2 foot rod too. I was thinking it would feel similar in hand as well.

John
John Harper

Postby planettrout » April 30th, 2018, 10:37 am

A 9', 5wt. rod is the standard for Montana and most recommended by shops like Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone, inside and outside of the park. When the wind comes up, blowing straight down the river and I am chucking large bodied nymphs and streamers, I use a 9'6", 7wt. I have not used a 8',6" rod since my early days on the Frying Pan in CO. For general nymphing on the rivers in MT, I use a 10', 5wt - these rods will also handle light streamers and dries.

I have other, shorter rods but they see limited use when I head up to Montana. Keith Roberts fishes a lot in WY. Maybe he could check in...???

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby BrownBear » April 30th, 2018, 1:00 pm

I tend to longer rods for a couple of reasons. I like the extra "clearance" on back casts when wading deep or sitting in a float tube. But for more general uses, the longer the rod the better for line mending and roll casting. Since I do a whole lot of both, I find moving to a shorter rod pretty frustrating. About the worst I own is an 8' 14-weight. Lotta, lotta lifting power for tuna and sails, but just about useless for the quick roll casts, back casts and short casts typical of tarpon fishing. Especially in the wind. My 9' 14WT is a beast of a different color and sees lots more use.

The same applies for the "close game" that is often involved with my trout fishing.
BrownBear

Postby John Harper » April 30th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Looks like the consensus is 9' so far. I guess that makes it a bit more versatile as well, seeing as I'm an extreme minimalist. I guess I'm just so used to small fish and tiny creeks with a shorter rod I really don't know much about big water fishing. I won't get a chance to try it before purchase, but I really love the way my 3wt CT feels, so effortless. Hopefully the 5wt is very similar. I can pick one up new on Ebay for just over $100, so that works for the budget too, since I'm really hoping to find some small waters along the way more than big rivers.

I'm still pretty much a hack, so I'm not really going overboard on rod expense until I find out what I encounter in WY, MT, and ID. Just need some line, I'll look into that Rio Gold. I have been using Allen Flyfishing line, it's quite inexpensive and seems to perform well, and looks (and feels) just like the SA "top shelf" line I have on another reel.

I think I might even swing through Ketchum, ID and be a poser at Silver Creek, anyone fished there with Hemingway's headless ghost?

John
John Harper

Postby Jimbo Roberts » April 30th, 2018, 10:49 pm

I'm in the, "use the longest rod that the water will let you" camp. Longer rods have many advantages, especially if you are nymphing. My "go to" nymphing rods are 10 foot. That said if you are going to be throwing drys, longer is not as big of an advantage. It is one of the reasons 9 foot rods are so popular, they are kind of a sweet spot in length. When I am fishing drys on open water I still generally use a 9 foot rod. My "go to" dry fly rod in such situations is a 9 foot 4wt. I'll go up to a 5 or 6wt.depending on the wind, big Flys, or really big fish.
That being said I fish a bunch of smaller creeks and they tend to be lined with willows if not totally overgrown. These call for shorter rods. I fish many 2,3,&4wt. in the 7 1/2 to 8 foot range there. I fish some that are so narrow and overgrown a 7 1/2 rod is too long. I recently purchased several rods under 7 foot. The latest are a 6 1/2 foot 3wt Scott F 2 and a Sage LL 6'9" rod's. They are both a compromise but when the creek is real narrow they are a necessity.
Let the water, wind, and fish tell you what is best.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby FIGHTONSC » May 1st, 2018, 4:08 am

I agree with NorcalBob and Planettrout. If I had but one choice of rods to use in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho, it would be a moderately-fast action 9' 5wt. A Sage One 9' 5 wt.is a pretty good rod if you can find a used one on EBay. It's got good mechanics and enough power through a wide range of flies from tiny to streamers.

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby BrownBear » May 1st, 2018, 4:50 am

I'm going to speak up for Temple Fork's new Axiom II rods.

This winter I've been using three of them- an 8WT, a 10WT and a 12WT right alongside the best from Sage, Winston, Loomis and Orvis. The guide I fish with regularly here in Florida was so impressed with mine that he offloaded his Orvis and Loomis rods, got on the TFO guide program, and now carries nothing else on his boat. Yeah, they're that good. My 8WT stands right with my 8WT Sage X for light weight, casting ease and accuracy while having lots more fish fighting power. Yet it's a "true" 8WT and is best with standard 8WT lines unlike most "power" rods these days. When I get back home to Alaska I'm going to run, not walk, to buy the first 5WT Axiom II I see.

No dirt on the Sage One (got a couple of those too), but if you can't find a used One for less than the cost of an Axiom II ($340), any extra money you spend will be wasted.

If you're inclined for a new reel to fight powerful fish, get your hands on TFO's new Power reel while you're gandering around. The same guide cancelled his order for Nautilus NV Monster reels ($945) after watching my Power reels at work, and all his rods are now mounted with TFO Power reels. Talk about a smooooooth, powerful drag.
BrownBear

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing