REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Albright Reels

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Albright Reels

Postby midger » March 20th, 2009, 4:53 pm

I was curious about the quality of them so I bought 3--the Topwater (their cheapest at $14.55), a Bugati (around $40), and a General Practioner (GPR series at around $60).

I fished both the Topwater--loaded with a triple 000 line--and the Bugati--loaded with a 3 weight line. The Topwater performs well for a cheap single action click/pawl reel and it has a hardy like sound when line is stripped out. On a scale of 1-10 where 1 mean sucks and 10 is great, it gets a 6 for value.

The Bugati looks nice in a grey finish and it is a mid arbor reel for a 3/4 line. Disk drag, interchangeable spools. The line is * when stripped off and I wasn't impressed with it. I'm going to call the company and see if I can return it in case I got a lemon. On a scale of 1-10, this reel gets a 1.

I still haven't tried the GPR but will let you know what it works like. I don't expect it to function like a Ross, Galvan, Tibor, but do expect functionality.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: Albright Reels

Postby Nav » March 20th, 2009, 10:17 pm

Mike, I bought a 7/8 Bugatti a couple years ago for a 7 wt Albright A5, while it certainly is not comparable to any high end reel, I can't complain, I've been fishing it almost every weekend lately on the prowl for Stripers and it seems up to the task , it is reasonably smooth, and has handled some small 8 pound and under fish with no problems

later
Pat
Nav

Postby rayfound » March 20th, 2009, 10:55 pm

$14.95!!!

THAT sounds like my kind of Reel, though its still triple the cost of my current one. (Reddington Red-Start 3/4 purchased @ a thrift Store my mother runs $5)

But seriously, $15 for a reel seems like a sweet deal. Its just there to hold line people.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby stanbery » March 21st, 2009, 1:44 am

Mike

You could have a lemon.

The Bugatti 3/4 that I have does not have that problem at all.

The GPX 5/6 reel that I have works great as well.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby midger » March 21st, 2009, 5:55 am

stanbery wrote:Mike

You could have a lemon.

The Bugatti 3/4 that I have does not have that problem at all.

The GPX 5/6 reel that I have works great as well.

Jon

I thought the same thing about the Bugati. I was sure the manufacturer wouldn't let something go that had a distinct
glitch in the rotation of the spool on every turn. I'll give them a call and see about swapping it out. Hopefully it is just the frame as changing line is time consuming. I did get a second spool for it so will see if it is the spool or reel frame today.

I haven't spooled the GP up yet, but it is also a 3/4.

Even though the reels are somewhat heavier, I don't notice that as being a problem at all. Sometimes manufacturer's get too light so the reels won't balance out the rod that well.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby midger » March 21st, 2009, 10:11 am

I contacted the company and they are having me send it back in for an exchange. They have a new, upgraded Bugati. I'll keep you posted on the outcome and the new version.
Mike
midger

Postby Papasequoia » March 21st, 2009, 12:52 pm

The GPR is what I got on closeout (with two extra spools) for the 8wt Redington. I haven't put line on them yet since I haven't made a trip where I needed it, but I hope that it will be at least a serviceable reel.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby DSFlyman » March 22nd, 2009, 9:26 am

I recently talked with the owner of albright. I talked with him a little bit about his rods and reels. I got the feeling that the reels were well made, but not finely crafted. He was pretty excited about the rods though. He says he has a new model coming out that he thinks will out cast and out fish any graphite rod on the market - given the price, i'd like to see that, I saw a rod review of their a-5 where a fly shop compared like 10 different rods and the A-5 was the least expensive yet came in 3rd overall - obviously subjective.

But I'm with Rayfound - if you're on a 3 weight or lighter, do you need anything other than something that holds your line?
DSFlyman

Postby midger » March 22nd, 2009, 9:52 am

DSFlyman wrote:
But I'm with Rayfound - if you're on a 3 weight or lighter, do you need anything other than something that holds your line?

I also agree that a 3 weight and lighter rod doesn't require a reel with a disc drag that will attempt to stop a Mack Truck. However, the reel has to allow smooth stripping of the line when you are lengthening casts, and the drag (whatever it has) needs to be smooth with no hitches/pulls on every revolution of the spool. The Topwater model meets those requirements, and hopefully, so will the "new, improved" Bugati.

Yes, the owner seems nice and he is very responsive. I've never cast one of their rods, but probably will in the future as I enjoy trying out different rods with different actions. ;)
midger

Postby midger » March 28th, 2009, 9:20 pm

I got an email from the owner/CEO stating they'd shipped a new Bugati model and spare spool so Ill let you know how it works, as I hope to get it reloaded and on the river in the next week or so. I did find the folks very responsive, which is a real plus, and their turn around time was excellent. Kudos for their service.
midger

Postby Jim T » March 29th, 2009, 11:27 pm

I bought the 7 wt GP last year and finally got it spooled up Saturday with the SA Streamer Express. Tried it out today bass fishing at Castaic Lagoon. It stripped out fine and retrieved very smoothly. Unfortunately, I didn't get to use it under pressure as I got skunked. Will be trying it out in the salt in a couple weeks.

Jim T
Jim T

Return to General Fly Fishing