REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fish More Often!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fish More Often!

Postby WatchinTheWater » May 8th, 2018, 9:13 am

Last week when I posted my first day on the water this year I realized I had not put up a post in almost two years, thanks to Papa’s, “he lives” comment. Seeing the Photobucket ad in place of my images in a couple of old posts inspired me to come out of hiding to catch up with some old friends and introduce myself to those newbies that have joined up recently. Some of you may remember I rescued a livestock guard dog, an Anatolian shepherd, several years ago and had been trying to incorporate him into my camping and fishing outings. We didn’t fish much last year thus no posts. We have tried to continue outdoor activities but fishing slid down the priority list.
Bear is great with packs on carrying all of his food and my alcoholic beverage supply.
Twenty years ago I inherited a 65 Chevy pick up that my dad had restored. For a number of reasons it had been sitting in an Idaho garage. Getting the truck to Colorado and getting it back into good running order became my highest priority. Dad set it up for hunting/camping so Bear and I have made sure to honor that intention.
Being a livestock guard dog Bear is a great camp companion, critters are not welcome in our camps. As a fishing companion we still have a long way to go although he has learned to spot fish. Rising on an alpine lake,
Or hiding under a rock in the stream,
However our stealth approach needs a little work,
Last fall I traveled to a couple of spots that many fly fishers put on their bucket list and I didn’t go to either to fish. Eclipse totality passed over some of Wyomings finest fishing waters, the eclipse was incredible but I should have brought my fishing gear. Celebrating a non fishing friends 50th we enjoyed the warm tropical waters of the Bahamas and lots of rum but never got out bone fishing. Seeing a few bone fish cruising the flats might have intrigued me enough to return other day just to fish. I did get a good picture of this pig feeding on the surface in crystal clear water!
The day on the water last week (without Bear) reminded me how beneficial fishing (and then lying to you knuckleheads about it) is for my mental health so I started planning a couple of trips for this year. Southern Wyoming and eastern Utah are close. My brother has kept Dad’s house in the Idaho panhandle so on the way most of Idaho is in play along with the panhandle and western Montana when I get to the house. I have been studying.
Bear will be a fantastic camping and hiking companion in griz country, we’ll have to keep working on the fishing. I promise to fish and post more this year.
Happy Fishin’
Dave
WTW & Bear
WatchinTheWater

Re: Fish More Often!

Postby Papasequoia » May 8th, 2018, 11:44 am

I wonder what kind of a fly one should use to catch a pig? Keep em coming!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby WatchinTheWater » May 8th, 2018, 12:33 pm

The pigs went crazy every garbage “hatch”! The only refusal I witnessed were banana peels, I would go with a -4 apple core imitation but pretty much anything big would work.
WatchinTheWater

Postby lucfish » May 8th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Not many things eat banana peels. Nice post.
lucfish

Postby John Harper » May 8th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Hopefully, we'll cross paths this summer. I'm planning on being in those areas as well!

John
John Harper

Postby stanbery » May 8th, 2018, 7:32 pm

Dave

Nice pig!! LOL

Love the 65 you should enjoy that a lot

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby FIGHTONSC » May 9th, 2018, 7:51 am

Papasequoia wrote:I wonder what kind of a fly one should use to catch a pig? Keep em coming!

I was wondering the same thing...maybe an apple?
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby Jason » May 9th, 2018, 8:03 am

I love that photo of your dog standing in the stream spotting fish. 'Tis the season to get out and pester some fish, I'm planning on a better year also.
Jason

Postby 1mocast » May 9th, 2018, 5:09 pm

Nice looking dog.

And gotta love the Bahamian Swimming pigs! :P
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Return to General Fly Fishing