REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Wading Pants Fiasco

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Wading Pants Fiasco

Postby John Harper » May 21st, 2018, 11:21 am

So, after finding that waders with booties size 8-10 are clown feet on me, Simms suggested I get custom waders. Unfortunately they don"t custom build the Freestone pants with smaller booties and the G3 pants are ridiculously priced ($400+ for custom booties on G3 pants). Not only that, but both models are out of stock until late July. Same goes for Patagonia's wading pants. Great work, it's almost the beginning of summer, and no one in marketing/sales forecast increased purchases??

Looks like I'm wet wading on my trip. Has anyone tried the Chota Caney Fork Knee High Wading Socks?
https://www.ebay.com/p/Chota-Caney-Fork ... 2526649352
Found a pair on Ebay for $38, I guess they're worth a try.

John
John Harper

Re: Wading Pants Fiasco

Postby FIGHTONSC » May 21st, 2018, 11:53 am

Except for the Owyhee, we wet wade the West from the end of June till October.

Problem solved!
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby John Harper » May 21st, 2018, 11:55 am

FIGHTONSC wrote:Except for the Owyhee, we wet wade the West from the end of June till October.

Problem solved!

Well, I stand in the frigid Pacific Ocean with only surf booties and trunks all winter, how bad can it be compared to that?

John
John Harper

Postby FIGHTONSC » May 21st, 2018, 11:58 am

Probably not as bad because the ambient temperature will be warmer than along the beach.
FIGHTONSC

Postby John Harper » May 21st, 2018, 12:01 pm

FIGHTONSC wrote:Probably not as bad because the ambient temperature will be warmer than along the beach.

Yes, that freezing offshore wind in the mornings can be challenging. Pretty sure my legs are impervious to cold at this stage of my life.

John
John Harper

Postby FIGHTONSC » May 21st, 2018, 12:19 pm

John Harper wrote:
FIGHTONSC wrote:Probably not as bad because the ambient temperature will be warmer than along the beach.

Yes, that freezing offshore wind in the mornings can be challenging. Pretty sure my legs are impervious to cold at this stage of my life.

John

A good wading staff and studded boots should do you just fine!

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Postby Papasequoia » May 21st, 2018, 12:47 pm

Simms sucks. Switched to Redingtons and never looked back.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby clee » May 21st, 2018, 1:29 pm

I owned a Chota once, not the pair you posted but another. Didn't last one outing before flooding my leg with frigid water. They suck.
clee

Postby DarkShadow » May 21st, 2018, 3:31 pm

What size boots are you?
DarkShadow

Postby John Harper » May 21st, 2018, 3:48 pm

DarkShadow wrote:What size boots are you?

Size 8 shoe, 5'8" 160 lb, 33 waist", inseam 30" Those 8-10 size booties just suck, especially because I'm paying money for something that doesn't fit. I won't do that.

I ordered those Chotas for $38, we'll see what they look like. I already bought some wading socks, just wanted something that came up a bit further. Basically just found it on Ebay so I gave them a shot for $40. WTH. I doubt I
rarely even need insulation, but if you could wear thermals under, with shorts over I'd be good with that. That way I don't have to go to a vest and feel like a Orvis model all geared out. Still wanna keep my crap in my shorts pockets and rock it that way.

I was thinking the lower leg sections of a full wetsuit would work great, I could even glue them to my wading socks. There's a bunch of surf shops around here in Carlsbad, they must know someone that repairs wetsuits or even makes them. Duh. Basically, some upper calf covering wading socks. They may slide down possibly and I know neoprene is too hot out of the water, if you've ever worn a wetsuit, you know too.

John
John Harper

Postby DarkShadow » May 23rd, 2018, 11:20 am

John Harper wrote:
DarkShadow wrote:What size boots are you?

Size 8 shoe, 5'8" 160 lb, 33 waist", inseam 30" Those 8-10 size booties just suck, especially because I'm paying money for something that doesn't fit. I won't do that.

I'm in the same boat. Although my waders fit fine, I wish the bootie was smaller, since i'm a size 9, and the bootie for Patagonia says 9-11. So, there's a bit of room in the toes, which hasn't really been bad.

That's why i wet wade most of the time.
DarkShadow

Postby John Harper » May 23rd, 2018, 11:44 am

DarkShadow wrote:That's why i wet wade most of the time.

Yes, that looks like my best option. Just heard from Redington, no custom orders.

John
John Harper

Return to General Fly Fishing