REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The wife is really on to me now.

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

The wife is really on to me now.

Postby Gary C. » June 1st, 2018, 8:35 pm

I don't know about the rest of you but the less my wife has known about my, lets just say general investment in fly fishing the better. Don't get me wrong she is not clueless and knows that all those rods, float tubes, fins, waders, nets, vests, packs, were not free. I also get the occasional email at work when she gets the Amazon notice about another shipment on the way to our house.

Anyhow, today I'm getting ready to make a run up the 14 in the morning and a buddy who is going with me and has me teaching him to fly fish is over. We had just come back from WalMart so that my buddy john could p/u some items for tomorrows trip. BTW: My local WalMart recently put in a decent little fly section for the middle of the desert. So john is showing my wife what he bought and he shows her a few of the boxes of flies that he purchased and snivels about having to pay $5.25 for each box of 5 flys.

Forward ahead about an hour and my wife walks out into the garage and see 7-8 full fly boxes opened up for John to see. Now being as how my wife is an accountant it didn't take her very long at all to figure out that just one side of one of the boxes had over 100 flies and..... Well you can guess how happy she was to know that I had just bought another box of 5 midges for myself while we were there. I tried to explane about how cheap I buy them from STP but that I have to buy a dozen at a time to get the good prices or how much cheaper it is to buy on-line. All I have to say is that I'm really looking forward to finding some water tomorrow and maybe even breaking the cherry on my new 1wt.
;)
Thank goodness she has no clue how much the flys that were bought from the local flyshops cost. :|
Gary C.

Re: The wife is really on to me now.

Postby teejay » June 1st, 2018, 9:21 pm

My wife is just glad that I don't keep live bait in the fridg anymore :)
teejay

Postby BrownBear » June 2nd, 2018, 4:03 am

You make me glad I married so well. My wife grew up behind the counter of her family's sporting good store. She thinks all this stuff is normal and a great investment! :P

Down side is that most things from fly rods to shotguns to muzzleloaders have a very short life span in my hands. If she tries it an likes it, it's hers! "Looks like you need to buy another for yourself" is her favorite line. :bananadance:
BrownBear

Postby WanderingBlues » June 2nd, 2018, 10:09 am

“My biggest fear is one day my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it...”
~Anonymous
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby lucfish » June 2nd, 2018, 10:24 am

BUSTED. It's only a matter of time. I had a friend take a part time job to feed his habit, self defeating, then he didn't have time to go fishing.
lucfish

Postby 1mocast » June 2nd, 2018, 1:46 pm

LOL.

How much is the price of your sanity worth? ;)
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Gary C. » June 2nd, 2018, 9:40 pm

It's nice to know that at least you guys understand my situation. But then I knew that you would.
Gary C.

Postby Gary C. » June 2nd, 2018, 10:38 pm

Someone asked me about flies from Sierra Trading Post. I check their email prices often to get the good deals and when something I "need" come up cheap I order.

Right now at STP. Montana Fly Co., Adams dry fly, $9.99 a dozen.
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/monta ... es~d~94%2F

https://www.sierratradingpost.com
Gary C.

Postby John Harper » June 3rd, 2018, 5:31 am

BrownBear wrote:shotguns to muzzleloaders have a very short life span in my hands. If she tries it an likes it, it's hers! "Looks like you need to buy another for yourself" is her favorite line. :bananadance:

And there's not much you can do when she's holding one of those.

John
John Harper

Postby k9mark » June 3rd, 2018, 7:09 am

Check these guys out: http://www.flydealflies.com/
"...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have Heroes..." .....Best partner I ever had ------------->
k9mark

Postby Gary C. » June 3rd, 2018, 10:13 am

k9mark wrote:Check these guys out: http://www.flydealflies.com/

Thanks, great prices for sure. I May need more boxes. :roll:
Gary C.

Postby stanbery » June 10th, 2018, 9:39 pm

Gary

That is funny.

Hope you had a good trip to the Kern.

Jon