REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Another Homemade Rod Vault

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Another Homemade Rod Vault

Postby WatchinTheWater » June 15th, 2018, 1:03 pm

When Jeff posted pictures of his home made rod vault I took a gander in the garage and dug up most of what I thought I would need to construct a rod vault of my own. Dad was a child of the depression so I learned never to throw anything out that might be useful in the future, I’m a pack rat verging on being a hoarder. A four and a half foot Orvis rod tube (rod stolen years ago) and four and half feet of an old dory oar glassed together made a nice nine foot tube.

Having a bunch of old fiberglass cloth and some fabricating skills left over from my dory days I made a styrofoam mold for for the reel case.

Unless you have surfboard foam that will tolerate resin coat the foam with wax paper or plastic wrap or painters tape so the styrofoam doesn’t start to melt and deform like mine did. The reel space came out a little small thanks to the Salvador Dali effect but it still works. Attach the reel case to the tubing and hollow out what’s left of the foam mold.

I bought parts to build a bracket that can easily be adjusted with wingnuts and a locking system for the wingnuts.

The local Ace only had enough parts to build one bracket so for now a short cam strap attaches the front of the tube.

Making the door and hinge, inserting the drawer lock and adding a plate for the lock to catch took the most time. Had my foam not started to melt I would have glassed over the back of the mold and then cut it off with a skill saw and used it as a door.

Lock $5.99
Metallic Paint $3.96
Black Paint $3.96
U-bolt x 2 $5.58
Wingnut x 2 $ .86
Pint of Resin $14.99
Disposable Brushes $4.70

Happy Fishin’
Dave
WTW
PS Tube hatch has begun on the Yampa and it is fishing great!
WatchinTheWater

Re: Another Homemade Rod Vault

Postby John Harper » June 15th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Great work, Dave! I wondered about the styrofoam melting just before I read your story. Interesting how surfboard foam can handle the resin, yet a very similar compound cannot. Nice finish work too, very sleek.

If you need to clean up resin, acetone is great.

John
John Harper

Postby Troutbum007 » June 15th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Great idea! Thanks!
Troutbum007

Postby WanderingBlues » June 15th, 2018, 6:48 pm

*’ awesome.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby FIGHTONSC » June 16th, 2018, 4:54 am

Cool build, Dave!

When Larry and I fished Silver Creek a couple of weeks ago, we saw several commercial models similar to yours on top of the suv's there. Yours certainly is just as nice and hundreds of dollars less!

Good job,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby WatchinTheWater » June 16th, 2018, 6:55 am

Thanks all and thanks Jeff for the inspiration. My security system is reliant on the appearance of being a purchased market product. A determined thief with a couple of tools could make short work of my locking systems. A little sanding and shaping and that metallic paint really gives the illusion of being professionally manufactured. Having a rigged rod ready that the big dog can’t accidentally destroy when he is in the car was the main reason for needing rooftop storage. Packing for camping/fishing trips is challenging when half the car space is reservered for 110lbs of camp guard dog.
WatchinTheWater

Postby FIGHTONSC » June 16th, 2018, 7:01 am

WatchinTheWater wrote:Thanks all and thanks Jeff for the inspiration. My security system is reliant on the appearance of being a purchased market product. A determined thief with a couple of tools could make short work of my locking systems. A little sanding and shaping and that metallic paint really gives the illusion of being professionally manufactured. Having a rigged rod ready that the big dog can’t accidentally destroy when he is in the car was the main reason for needing rooftop storage. Packing for camping/fishing trips is challenging when half the car space is reservered for 110lbs of camp guard dog.

Even the commercial models would only stop a determined thief for a minute or two with a hacksaw and or bolt cutters.

Like Larry (ldr) said...it keeps the average guy honest!

Well done,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby stanbery » June 17th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Dave

That looks very nice.
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery