REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

English Chalk Streams

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

English Chalk Streams

Postby dna » March 23rd, 2009, 4:26 pm

If you have ever heard tales of the hallowed Chalk Streams of England here is an article that will give you a glimpse into what some term one of the finest experiences to be had in this "noble sport."

While I am far from noble ;), I am simply condemned to mediocracy especially in my casts, I can tell you that fishing an English chalk stream is, indeed, a hallowed experience. The three chalk's that I had the opportunity to fish--two of which are featured in the article--really blew my mind away. I definitely felt as though I was in the presence of holiness. Not the kind of holy when you are deep in the backcountry and one with nature, but a kind of holy that comes as a result of a reverance of being at a place that is steeped in history--not to mention the opportunity to catch beautiful wild trout. I'd say a must do for any lifer in this sport.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes-life-magaz ... state.html
dna

Re: English Chalk Streams

Postby beachbum » March 23rd, 2009, 7:56 pm

Good article. Fishing the English chalk streams was a dream come true for me. There is still one river on my list to fish there, the Itchen. It's not that the fishing is that much better then here, because our spring creeks, and rivers like the Henry's Fork, match that easily. It's more the history of the sport, and lore from those rivers that intrigue me. I love to fish! 8-)
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Gary C. » March 23rd, 2009, 10:53 pm

Thanks' for the link. How bout your reports from when you were over there? It would be nice to see them posted again in the archives section here.
Gary C.
Gary C.

Postby Trootfisher » March 24th, 2009, 11:00 pm

This:

The fishing rights are privately owned, and the cost of gaining access to a stretch of river, which is called a beat, for a day or more varies greatly, but is often expensive.

and this:

Cast only to rising trout. Upstream, and only with dry flies."

kill any desire I have for fishing there.
Trootfisher

Postby anacrime » March 25th, 2009, 3:14 am

Trootfisher wrote:This:

The fishing rights are privately owned, and the cost of gaining access to a stretch of river, which is called a beat, for a day or more varies greatly, but is often expensive.

and this:

Cast only to rising trout. Upstream, and only with dry flies."

kill any desire I have for fishing there.

pansy 8-)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby rayfound » March 25th, 2009, 7:52 am

The history and the lore of it make it appealing to try sometime.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Sheriff Joe » March 25th, 2009, 11:53 am

Someday, when I win the freaking lottery...

Nice article, though.
Slap a cold trout on it!
Sheriff Joe

Postby beachbum » March 25th, 2009, 12:46 pm

These days you do not have to just fish dries, or upstream. That doesn't mean my guide didn't cringe when I cast across and down, to a nice brown rising on the far bank of the River Avon. Using a pheasant tail nymph, which Frank Sawyer developed on the Avon, was appropriate I thought. The fish took the nymph first presentation without hesitation. It was a truly satifying fly fishing moment for me.

I will post a few more pics later. I am still trying to learn how to imbed videos, and will post some too.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby anacrime » March 25th, 2009, 2:05 pm

i would totally roll a sink tip with a big flippin rubber leg bugger through that thing
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby rayfound » March 25th, 2009, 2:14 pm

anacrime wrote:i would totally roll a sink tip with a big flippin rubber leg bugger through that thing

Not much of a gentleman are you Shane.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby flybob » March 25th, 2009, 4:30 pm

Now that is just pretty water!

Oh yeah, nice fish too! :o
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Return to General Fly Fishing