REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Idaho - Boise area - any tips?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Idaho - Boise area - any tips?

Postby huntingtheriverking » August 10th, 2018, 4:12 pm

Hi all,

I'll be in Boise for a couple of days in early October.
Interested in checking out a few local streams. Looks like a fishing paradise compared to SoCal's freshwater offerings :)

The Greenbelt area looks great with the Boise River. However, I am interested particularly in some of the smaller streams to the NE - anyone care to chime in on these?

I will have a simple 2 wheeldrive rental, so no crazy offroad trips, or extensive hikes please.

Thanks in advance!
huntingtheriverking

Re: Idaho - Boise area - any tips?

Postby FIGHTONSC » August 10th, 2018, 6:50 pm

huntingtheriverking wrote:
However, I am interested particularly in some of the smaller streams to the NE - anyone care to chime in on these?

What smaller streams to the northeast are you referring to? Silver Creek, Big Wood, Valley Creek, Marsh Creek, South Fork or Middle Fork of the Boise or others?

Those listed above, us local resident Kansans can probably help you out and maybe even join you on the stream.

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby huntingtheriverking » August 10th, 2018, 7:19 pm

FIGHTONSC wrote:
huntingtheriverking wrote:
However, I am interested particularly in some of the smaller streams to the NE - anyone care to chime in on these?

What smaller streams to the northeast are you referring to? Silver Creek, Big Wood, Valley Creek, Marsh Creek, South Fork or Middle Fork of the Boise or others?

Those listed above, us local resident Kansans can probably help you out and maybe even join you on the stream.

Regards,

Jeff

Thanks!
I was looking at Grimes and More Creek, worth checking out?
I'll have an infant on my back + wife (loves to fish), not planning on a long hike. Excited to try out some new water though!
huntingtheriverking

Postby FIGHTONSC » August 10th, 2018, 8:26 pm

"I was looking at Grimes and More Creek, worth checking out? "

We've really never had much luck fishing either one of those creeks and they will probably be barely running by early October.

In October and early November we have had really good fishing on the Boise River in the Barber Park section. Nice area for your wife and the little one also! There are both native fish and stocked holdovers in that stretch and they are very susceptible to almost any kind of buggy looking nymph you throw at them. Sometimes we catch 20-30 fish in a couple of hours there, then we have lunch at the Sockeye Brewery and toss back a couple of IPA's on the way back home.

The other rivers and creeks that I previously mentioned are all about two hours away except for the middle fork of the Boise River. You can be fishing it in a little over an hour and it is two-wheel drive accessible on a decent dirt road.

I still think the fishing at Barber Park is hard to beat for being so close to town.

You can pm me if you need more fishable locations along the green belt sections along the Boise.

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Postby huntingtheriverking » August 12th, 2018, 10:18 am

Thank you for the tips! I will definitely check out Barber Park - you are the second person to recommend it, sounds like a solid location and will be staying close by. Look for a report here in the future!
huntingtheriverking

Postby FIGHTONSC » August 12th, 2018, 11:54 am

huntingtheriverking wrote:Thank you for the tips! I will definitely check out Barber Park - you are the second person to recommend it, sounds like a solid location and will be staying close by. Look for a report here in the future!

You're welcome!

Pm me if you have any other questions. I'll probably be at Silver Creek that week, but if not, maybe we can fling some flies together.

Best regards,

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Postby huntingtheriverking » October 12th, 2018, 10:06 pm

FIGHTONSC wrote:
huntingtheriverking wrote:Thank you for the tips! I will definitely check out Barber Park - you are the second person to recommend it, sounds like a solid location and will be staying close by. Look for a report here in the future!

You're welcome!

Pm me if you have any other questions. I'll probably be at Silver Creek that week, but if not, maybe we can fling some flies together.

Best regards,

Jeff

Thanks again for the tips.

Fished Barber Park, Grimes, Payette, and Moores.

Barber definitely is a great location - I just need waders! Watched an angler, jealously, wade out and immediately catch a nice fish on the fly.

Landed a few fish from Grimes. Low but fishable. Little rainbows.

Solid trip, you have beautiful water up there!
huntingtheriverking

Postby FIGHTONSC » October 13th, 2018, 5:32 am

huntingtheriverking,

So glad that you were able to test drive some of our local waters. Too bad the weather changed the week you visited and really cooled down...you definitely need waders from now on out.

I just returned from Silver Creek/Big Wood River yesterday afternoon. The fishing was good despite the winter-like weather!

I'll try and get a TR together shortly.

Best regards from Kansas,

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Postby stanbery » October 14th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Looks like a very nice time on the water to me. From your pics the area looks great as well.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Return to General Fly Fishing