REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

New Rod and Line Questions...... TFO TiCrX

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

New Rod and Line Questions...... TFO TiCrX

Postby Danny McB » March 24th, 2009, 2:52 pm

Hey Gang,

I've got a few questions for you. I have been looking at the TFO TiCrX rods, Specifically the 6wt Saltwater edition.

Does anybody have one of these rods? I played with the 6wt and loved it.

My main purpose for this rod is for Halibut in the bay, Trout Streamers, Throwing big bass flies, and calmer surf conditions (already have a st croix 8 wt) , General toon fishing, and possibly carp if it will lay a fly softly enough. A lot of times I feel my 8 wt is just too much, and for halibut I want LONG casts which this seems to be made for. I also love TFO since they have been more than great with thier service to me.

I plan on pairing it with the Lamson Konic for now.

My main question is I will mostly use the floating line but will have instances where different sink tips will help. Can anyone reccommend a line?
I really dont want to get a bunch of spools yet so I have been looking at this versi tip design...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

I have used a similar system before on my 5 wt (when I still didnt know any better and found out the hard way a floating line was all i needed) and the only complaint I had were that it was just too much for small creeks and the loops were to big for the guides on small casts. Niether of these problems seem like they will present themselves since I intend to be making long casts and fishing bigger rivers/lakes/ocean with it. I also know that someday I will go to a full sinking individual line and spool if really needed but I like the versitility of different sink rates

Also should this rod be uplinned? I have read mixed reviews and am hesitant to do this.

Anybody have any input. I have officially gone mentally haywire looking into this toooooo much ..... but thats a good problem

Thanks

Danny
Danny McB

Re: New Rod and Line Questions...... TFO TiCrX

Postby Justin » March 24th, 2009, 3:52 pm

hey Danny,
I have a TFO pro 6wt (a little different thatn the rod you are looking at)
I like it a lot for the surf (that's all I use it for) I also like either the Rio Striper line or I like the SA Streamed Express line.
I have a 300 gr. For my 8 wt but I just use floating line with the 6wt.
That’s just my 2c I hope it helps.

Justin
Justin

Postby RichardCullip » March 25th, 2009, 2:54 pm

For a fast sink rate I love the Rio Custom-Cut Outbound lines. For a 6wt rod, cutting the T-8 Custom-Cut Outbound back to a head length of 30ft will give you the 240 grns that load up a 6wt rod. These T-8 lines have a sink rate of 7 inches per second. The goal here is a line that helps you deliver a long cast with a minimum amount of line outside the rod tip during the casting stroke.

For other sink rates, I've started using Rio's Outbound Short lines. They give a nice short (30ft) head that is is heavier than normal. The 6wt Outbound Short has a 30ft head that is 235 grns (again a great weight for loading up a 6wt rod). They have a floating line (sink rate of 0 inches/sec) and a Intermediate Tip line (sink rate of 1.5-2 inches/sec). Both give you the advantage of long casts with minimal amount of line (just 30ft) outside the rod tip during the cast.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby briansII » March 25th, 2009, 4:41 pm

Ditto what Richard said. If your looking to throw long, you'll need something that will load the TiCr-X properly, and have a very good running line. Having used the lines Richard recommends, I can say, they do cast long for me.....and i'm an average caster on my best day. I'm not a big fan of the multi tip lines, but Rio may have a winner there. At that price point, you could just go out and buy a good running line, and buy the individual heads. The longest casting running line I have tried, is a mono fishing line, called Suffix Elite. It's very thin, slick and has very little memory. It's also cheap. It takes getting used to because it's so thin and slick. It's tough to hang on to.......especially when something on the other ends is trying to rip your arms off. :? I've used Rio and Scientific Angler intermediate running lines, with good, to ok results. Both Rio and SA have shooting heads. I tend to be a Rio guy, and like their Rio Max heads, or their "T" heads. To do all the things you want to do with the rod, I think the the minimum you'll need is a spool with a floating line, and a spool with a shooting head setup.

briansII
briansII

Postby unskunkable » March 25th, 2009, 6:56 pm

The TICRX is a great rod I have a 7wt version. That being said your life can be made much simpler by just getting 2 lines. 1. an integrated sinking shooting head in the 200 grain range. 2. a WF6F.Switch between the two depending on your fishing. The sinking shooter for Halibut and Surf or if you want those streamers getting deep and the floater the other times. It is simple enough to use a loop to loop connection on the back end. That being said tossing big bass bugs on a 6wt is mostly a pipe dream you will suffer seriously with distance and accuracy both of which can make a huge difference fishing bucketmouths. I personally use the Scientific Anglers Integrated lines for the most part but Rio makes some really good ones as well.
unskunkable

Postby Danny McB » March 31st, 2009, 8:57 am

Thanks for all f your help guys ... hopefully I can make up my mind soon enough

Danny
Danny McB

Postby Chris Kuhn » March 31st, 2009, 9:19 am

Justin wrote:hey Danny,
I have a TFO pro 6wt (a little different thatn the rod you are looking at)
I like it a lot for the surf (that's all I use it for) I also like either the Rio Striper line or I like the SA Streamed Express line.
I have a 300 gr. For my 8 wt but I just use floating line with the 6wt.
That’s just my 2c I hope it helps.

Justin

Using the floating line in the surf does not effect your presentations?
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Return to General Fly Fishing