REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Switch Rods

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Switch Rods

Postby BobK » November 28th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Does anyone here have much experience fishing with these shorter versions of the Spey rod. I have notice that a lot of people are starting to use them at Pyramid Lake (Nv) over the last few years to fish with, mostly using indicators. Now with the higher levels and the extended shallows at the Nets and beaches farther north, I've been thinking of getting one. Lots of choices money-wise, and I have been reading a lot, but I just don't know where to start. I think that I will start with something in the 10-11 1/2ft range and probably go with a 7wt. Any input??? Thanks.....BobK
BobK

Re: Switch Rods

Postby NorcalBob » November 28th, 2018, 2:05 pm

I have 11' switch rods in 5, 6, 7, & 8 WT (Orvis Helios). I've used them a lot, especially while wade fishing.
Advantages: long distance casting ability and can use 2 hands while casting overhead, can execute two handed switch/spey casts, great at indicator fishing with lots of mending for ultra long drifts,
Disadvantages: much heavier rods causes more fatigue/muscle strain when overhead casting, longer rod causes much more torque on your wrist when fighting fish, does not cast two handed switch/spey casts as easily as a regular spey rod, more expensive,
I fish mostly from a boat these days so I'm not using my switch rods from the boat much (due to the weight issue discussed above, plus you don't have to cast as far from a boat). But I do use them a lot while wading due to the superior casting and mending abilities. If your body can take the extra fatigue/muscle strain, they can cast impressive distances and I highly recommend them. I would probably go with an 11', 6 or 7 wt for Pyramid uses. Those would work equally well for indicator or wooly bugger uses. Note that you need to decide in advance if you plan on primarily using your switch rods for overhead versus double handed (spey) casting and put on the appropriate weight fly line for each purpose. For example on my 6 WT switch in double handed (spey) casting mode I use a 360 grain line (that's the equivalent of a 12 wt line), but use a 9 wt line for overhead casting.
NorcalBob

Postby BobK » November 28th, 2018, 3:31 pm

Bob: Thanks for the info. It is extremely helpful. The thought of SITTING on my ladder and roll casting the day away sounds pretty good to me, but I'll have plenty of back cast room for longer casts.. So yes, I'll have to think about that one....BobK
BobK

Postby BobK » November 28th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Would I use a standard WF 9 ft floating line for the overhead or do I need a special 9wt for that too.
BobK

Postby NorcalBob » November 28th, 2018, 4:40 pm

I only have the Orvis Helios switch rods I mentioned above so my comments only apply to them. As a general rule, switch rods are designed to carry much heavier lines than their line rating specifies. So a 6 wt switch rod really isn't the same rod as a standard 6 wt rod. For example, my 6 wt switch rod casts best single handed overhead when it's overlined by around 3 line sizes. So I run a 9 wt line when I'm only overhead casting it. The 9 WT flyline is a regular WF floating line. Using the same rod with double handed switch/spey casts, I can't get the rod to cast well until I go up to a 360 grain Scandi/Skagit head. That is about the equivalent to a 12 wt line. One thing about lake fishing, I really don't like using typical double handed spey casts because they make too much noise on the water. So when fishing lakes I strictly use single handed overhead casts.
NorcalBob

Postby BobK » November 28th, 2018, 7:29 pm

Thanks. I've got lots of 12-13wf lines, but I think that I should go with overhead until I know that I'll like it. BobK.
BobK

Postby NorcalBob » November 28th, 2018, 7:41 pm

That's a good plan. If you go the spey casting route, you'll have to buy some specialty lines (and that gets really complex!). Better to start with what you know and then work into it.
NorcalBob

Postby stanbery » December 2nd, 2018, 7:52 pm

Bob

Don't know if you will be at the P on 03/03 to 03/07 but one of the guys that is going has some switch rods if you wanted to try them.
If yes you want to try them I will see if he can bring them up.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby BobK » December 3rd, 2018, 5:30 pm

Thanks you. I should be there from Late Feb thru March, 4 or 5 days at a time. I ordered a TFO Deer CR. 11' 7wt on a closeout. I hope that I will be well practiced by then. He might want to bring one for his own use to reach some of the troughs. The water is still WAY higher than 2 yrs ago. I hope to fish P. on Weds afternoon after my Dr. appt. Depends on the storm. BobK
BobK

Postby stanbery » December 3rd, 2018, 7:20 pm

Ok
He will bring one I think.
Good at the docs and the P

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Return to General Fly Fishing