REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Just a nice Quote...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Just a nice Quote...

Postby Artin » December 23rd, 2018, 6:52 pm

So I receive a bamboo rod building newsletter called the planing form. There was an article in the May/June issue which quoted a guy from Michigan who at the time was the a shop owner and executive secretary of TU.
His name was Art Newmann.

”Flyfishermen shouldn’t be... and are not snobs. It takes skill to be a spin fisherman... and a bait fisherman, however, when a man discards all other types of equipment to take up a fly rod, his evolution as a fisherman is complete. I look at the evolution this way. When a man or boy first takes up fishing, he wants to catch the most fish. That’s step number one. The second step in his evolution is to catch the biggest fish. Now, the third and final step is to catch the smartest fish, and to me this means trout. I’ve passed all three stages and each stage was fun. However, the second stage was more fun than the first, and the third stage always more fun than the second. As a fisherman passes through the three steps of evolution so does his personality. From a fish killer, he becomes a conservationist and a gentleman. Fishing is a great sport, and you can be certain that any youngster with a fishing rod in his hand will never appear before a judge as a juvenile delinquent.”

This hit home. Thought I’d share.

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Re: Just a nice Quote...

Postby Wildman » December 24th, 2018, 9:01 am

Great sentiment. It took me almost sixty years to get to the fly fishing stage (and fly tying a bonus). Very few things in my life now are so challenging and so enjoyable. Thanks for finding that.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby WanderingBlues » December 24th, 2018, 5:29 pm

When I get out anymore, it’s not even about the fish. It’s about living in the moment, appreciating the sights, sounds, and smells of a mountain stream. It’s about watching the water, the hatch, the breeze. And placing a fly into a perfect drift. When I’ve released all the baggage I bring to a session of fly tossing, there’s usually a fish to let me know “you did it right,” and many, many others to let me know I still need to be better in my passion.

You can’t do that with a gob of powerbait.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Artin » January 2nd, 2019, 7:40 pm

I agree and confess to being guilty of using power bait and salmon eggs and crickets as a young fisherman. I did skip over the lure/spinner fishing mostly though as I graduated into the fly fishing university. Glad I did. It has been a godsend for sure. Love every second of it. I do revert back to the bait when I take the kids though. They are too young to fly cast right now and the look on their faces when catching some stockers is something I will always cherish.They get so excited. But time is coming when they will be given a fly rod.

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Return to General Fly Fishing