REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Sport Chalet Question

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Sport Chalet Question

Postby fshflys » March 25th, 2009, 7:20 am

My son works for Sport Chalet (read family discount) & the one in Mission Viejo, CA has some fly fishing/tying. My question is has anybody seen a Sport Chalet with a really good supply. Looking for a higher end reel, Orvis CFO or Galvan. Local one has Orvis Battenkill, already have 3 of those.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Re: Sport Chalet Question

Postby RiverRat » March 25th, 2009, 7:29 am

Our local SC has the Loomis Venture series which are good reels but not high end.

shane
RiverRat

Postby rayfound » March 25th, 2009, 9:08 am

Ours in Riverside has 3 reels. I didn't even look at what they were.

They do have a decent tying selection. but the one weird thing: They have no Dubbing. Its bizarre.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby tycaster » March 25th, 2009, 10:35 am

I've been getting all my hooks, leader, and tippit from there for a few years, as well as random materials and equipment. They're a little cheaper than any flyshop I've seen and they have a decent selection of Tiemco hooks. The reel selection hasn't changed much over the years, and I wouldn't expect it to. I brought up the dubbing thing to a manager one time, told him it was used in just about every pattern and that it was a little ridiculous that they carried all this other stuff but only black superfine dubbing. But haven't seen a change. I'm glad they have what they have, though, 'cause the closest flyshop is an hour away.
tycaster

Postby briansII » March 25th, 2009, 2:14 pm

rayfound wrote:They do have a decent tying selection. but the one weird thing: They have no Dubbing. Its bizarre.

The * you say......then where is it going?!?!

FWIW, our local SC has low end gear(Cortland and Okuma reels), but an ok selection of tying supplies. We have plenty of dubbing, but that might be a reflection of our vermin population. ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby Eric » March 25th, 2009, 3:15 pm

Checkout this location. Best fly fishing dept. in the company
920 Foothill Blvd.,La Canada,CA,91011
Eric
Eric

Postby Trootfisher » March 25th, 2009, 8:57 pm

I second the nomination for the La Canada Flintridge store.

I've been in quite a few SCs and this one is known for having more inventory and
some better quality brands.
Trootfisher

Postby rkfiske » March 25th, 2009, 9:14 pm

A third for La Canada! Tom over there in the fishing section is a pretty helpful guy. Though they're not all inclusive, you can get a whole lot of good supplies there, especially hooks. I feel they had a better selection prior to their move to the new location, but I'm hoping if enough people can convince them, maybe they'll expand the fly fishing section again. Also, they have some sage rods and some sage reels there along with some other more upper end things at that store. Checked out the sage 3100 reel there the other day. I sure like it.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby DSFlyman » March 25th, 2009, 11:02 pm

I understand the SC by me in west LA has the largest fishing selection in CA. They carry maybe 3 to 5 different reels in different sizes, all already mentioned. They do have dubbing. It's real close to me so I stop by in a pinch for the basics. I forgot what I purchased, but the girl at the counter had this horrified look of horror when she saw what I was buying,,, I don't think she believed that they even sold that. "Yarr, I found this Hare's mask right next to the volcom crap!"
DSFlyman

Postby Flyjunkie » March 26th, 2009, 8:33 am

When I worked for SC back in the 90's , they had Great selection of Materials and Gear (for a Chain Store).. but since they went Corporate back in 1995(?) they've have steadily cutback in the Flyfishing area....
I understand from the Gents I know at the La Canada Shop that following the Move across the Street, they cut back on the wonderful inventory.. (it upsets all 3 of them..No Doubt)

If You folks are going to Write the Company, address the letters to the Corporate Offices in La Canada.. do not just leave the Letter at Your Local Store... If the Execs get enough letters, maybe they'll change their Policies... (but I do not recommend holding Your Collective breath on it changing.... :x )

It's Sad, as they had a good thing going and have basically thrown it all away... :?
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Return to General Fly Fishing