REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Inflatable Raft/Kayak recos

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Inflatable Raft/Kayak recos

Postby rak777 » May 9th, 2019, 8:17 pm

So I've gotten onto this kick that I'd like to do some float trips. Nothing crazy. Maybe the Lower Owens, parts of the Kern in lower flows...I don't exactly know what other rivers would be good options locally (would love some pointers there too), need to do my research. Eventually, things like the Smith in Montana are on my list.

Most of these would be solo day trips, maybe overnighters, though I might occasionally talk my wife or a friend into joining, so I'm looking for something that can hold 2 people with min 500 lb capacity so we could fit in some gear. Other than that, things that are important to me:

- lightweight (hopefully under 50 lbs all in) and stowable, carryable
- ability to stand, or at least sit up high for fly casting
- think I'd prefer to be seated up high in general to stay a bit dryer
- can candle class II, maybe small class III rapids and typical river wear and tear
- price range: $300-700. Don't want cheap and unreliable, also don't want to break the bank

Leaning more towards rafts, but the right kayak would be fine too. These are my current frontrunners:
https://www.seaeagle.com/MotormountBoats/SE9
https://www.boatstogo.com/12-light-infl ... -rd365.asp
https://www.boatstogo.com/kayaks-sk396.asp

Would love any suggestions or advice. Thanks!
rak777

Re: Inflatable Raft/Kayak recos

Postby NorcalBob » May 9th, 2019, 9:22 pm

I have a bunch of experience in inflatables, having owned numerous rafts, and pontoons, and a ton of whitewater experience. Personally, I would not recommend any of the inflatables that you listed, if you're serious about a light whitewater capable inflatable for two people. For lakes/stillwater they're OK, but even in light white water (Class 2-3), no way in heck you'd get me in one of those. And I'd have to be seriously drunk for someone to get me into any of those for Class 3 and up. First requirement, you need a frame for two people plus a light load in fast moving water. You can't maneuver much without a frame with that kind of weight. Second requirement, you won't be looking at anything under 50 pounds in weight. I have a Scadden McKenzie Drifter for two people plus gear and it's about 75 pounds. And that's ultralight for the job, about as light as humanly possible. But it does work safely in light whitewater. My son rows a Moravia with frame in his day job and it's well over 150 pounds (and that's a more typical weight). Third requirement, no way you're buying a light whitewater capable inflatable in your price range of $300-700 new. Used, you might be able to find one around $1000, if you're lucky. A warning, anything under $2K is likely to be pretty well abused. And lastly, if you're serious about moving water, you need an inflatable with rocker on both ends or else you're gonna be swamping on rocks.
NorcalBob

Postby lucfish » May 10th, 2019, 7:13 am

NorcalBob wrote:I have a bunch of experience in inflatables, having owned numerous rafts, and pontoons, and a ton of whitewater experience. Personally, I would not recommend any of the inflatables that you listed, if you're serious about a light whitewater capable inflatable for two people. For lakes/stillwater they're OK, but even in light white water (Class 2-3), no way in heck you'd get me in one of those. And I'd have to be seriously drunk for someone to get me into any of those for Class 3 and up. First requirement, you need a frame for two people plus a light load in fast moving water. You can't maneuver much without a frame with that kind of weight. Second requirement, you won't be looking at anything under 50 pounds in weight. I have a Scadden McKenzie Drifter for two people plus gear and it's about 75 pounds. And that's ultralight for the job, about as light as humanly possible. But it does work safely in light whitewater. My son rows a Moravia with frame in his day job and it's well over 150 pounds (and that's a more typical weight). Third requirement, no way you're buying a light whitewater capable inflatable in your price range of $300-700 new. Used, you might be able to find one around $1000, if you're lucky. A warning, anything under $2K is likely to be pretty well abused. And lastly, if you're serious about moving water, you need an inflatable with rocker on both ends or else you're gonna be swamping on rocks.

Wow, pretty informative Bob. Thanks, I think I'll just keep hiring a guide when I want to go boating on a river. :)
lucfish

Postby NorcalBob » May 10th, 2019, 7:23 am

I'm lucky, I'm a former NPS Ranger trained in SAR and river rescue, and Chris is a biologist that floats rivers for a living and has a whitewater certification, technical river rescue training, and is a certified Wilderness First Responder. So we have plenty of experience on flowing waters. But if we didn't, I'd be hiring a guide for anything that has whitewater experience! The inflatable you use in only the first choice (of many) that you need to make in order to float whitewater safely!
NorcalBob

Postby Ants » May 10th, 2019, 7:18 pm

As for my perspective on the Kern and Lower Owens, here goes. The upper and lower kern are serious whitewater that requires a hard kayak, a soft kayak, or a raft. The household fleet includes a very nice wooden drift boat that would suffer from the rocks in any section. The drift boat is a great platform on the lake or above dams.

The Lower Owens is a difficult float when you are close to the catch and release section. The current runs a drift boat or kayak under overhang brush. No fun and certainly not a fishing event.

It seems NorcalBob's comment on price / weight / quality are spot on.

Lake fishing is a different story. My background is in canoes and row boats, so an inflatable is usually a slower alternative to move from place to place. The slowness could be a concern if a good wind is blowing you away from your launch location.

My lightest lake craft is a strip planked 11-foot wee lassie canoe at about 35 pounds. I was happy to purchase it at about $2k, so it requires a different budget. However, it is great for fishing and easy to throw on a roof rack.

There are 8-10 foot prams that are highly useful in places like the Lower Sac. One friend motors upstream with 3-4 hp, and drifts and fishes back to the launch site.

Floating is nice, but there a logistics and weight and prices to consider. I am a boat junkie so my options are greater than some folks.

Ants
Ants

Postby rak777 » May 11th, 2019, 11:44 am

Wow. Not the responses I wanted, but maybe the responses I needed to hear.

Let me amend my question slightly...

Since it sounds like the Kern (and anything above class II) will always be a bit much for rafts in this price range, and the LO will probably just poke me with branches and leave me frustrated, if I were to buy one of these (probably this one https://www.boatstogo.com/12-light-infl ... -rd365.asp since NorCalBob reco'd rocker design for any moving waters) what rivers would you recommend in southern or central CA as more of a leisurely float and fish?

Class II and below. Definitely more interested in just being out there, finding some less pressured fish than I am tackling any whitewater—especially with a bunch of expensive gear I stand to lose. Are there any good rivers, or stretches of rivers that would be a good fit for a craft like that, at least in certain seasons? If not, maybe I'll just scrap the idea.

Thanks again for your detailed responses and harsh realities. I def don't want to be out there under-gunned.
rak777

Postby Wildman » May 11th, 2019, 4:06 pm

Say rak777...just curious. What brought you back here after a two year hiatus from posting? We're doing a survey on what draws folks to post here after long layoffs. Trying to figure out why you never felt the urge to stay active since you joined in 2016 and what we could have done to make you feel more welcome.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby NorcalBob » May 12th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Rak, it sounds like you're where I was 25 years ago in regards to things I wanted to do fishing/floating wise, and your ideas are on the right track. Here is a slide show video I did a few years ago showing one of my inflatables and what we're doing with them.
https://animoto.com/play/dZ3qqmoNIcXVYJYHJl0LEw
The Saturn boat you're looking at is what is known as a "rubber ducky boat". A "ducky" boat is basically a "play" boat for people to get into the moving water side of floating for a low cost. They are narrower and quite tippy, they are constructed of lightweight and cheap materials, and they ride very "wet" (meaning you and the contents will not stay reasonably dry). They aren't very good at carrying cargo, or anything of value, because they flip pretty easily and dump everything overboard. They might meet your needs in moving water, or they might not. I'm not a fan of "ducky" boats, because for a few more $, you can get something that is built better for the rigors of light whitewater. For about $1,000 you can get a used setup, like the Scadden McKenzie Drifter that's shown in the video (or a ton of other rigs). You mentioned that you want capacity for two persons plus some camping gear, but that requirement is driving you to a bigger, heavier, and more expensive rig. It may be better to get two one person rigs, as you can pick up a decent used one person rig for about $500. I just bought a used Scadden Outlaw Renegade for $500 last year that is almost new. You'll have to winnow through a bunch of "abused" boats at that price point, but it can be done.
Lastly, if you're SoCal based, it's gonna be tough to find good easy waters to float, since most are not suitable for floating. Moving into the Central Valley Rivers, they are much easier to float. I've done all of them from the Lower Kings, all the way north to the Lower Sac. A ton of options there, but they might be too far of a drive for you.
NorcalBob

Postby rak777 » May 12th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Wildman: the whole photobucket debacle and inability to post pics initially had me less inclined to post. then, sadly but honestly, a busier work schedule over the last 2 years kept to from both fishing and posting as much as I would've liked. but work has relaxed, and I started an Imgur account, so you should hear/see more from me.

NorcalBob: really appreciate all your info and advice. I'm going to take a step back and reassess, especially considering the bigger price tag and lack of floatable nearby waters. just might not be a worthwhile investment while LA based. I'm always game to hike in to find my solitude and hungry trout.
rak777

Postby Gary C. » May 12th, 2019, 4:00 pm

[quote="e.

NorcalBob: really appreciate all your info and advice. I'm going to take a step back and reassess, especially considering the bigger price tag and lack of floatable nearby waters. just might not be a worthwhile investment while LA based. I'm always game to hike in to find my solitude and hungry trout.[/quote]

You might want to change direction just a little bit and think about a float tube for still waters. Definitely a different type of experience but still fun and lots of day trip options in So CAL.
Gary C.

Postby NorcalBob » May 12th, 2019, 6:40 pm

If I were LA based (EEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!), I'd think seriously about spending money on the float game. Not much moving water available down there. I grew up in LA so I feel your pain!
NorcalBob

Postby Ants » May 12th, 2019, 7:26 pm

For the Kern River, floating and fishing is a option for a limited season. For the Lower Owens, the river downstream from Laws is better for floating, but launch and takeout sites are limited. I have not floated in my driftboat since it is hard to tell if I am committed for 3 hours or 6 hours (as an example).

Going North, the drifting / fishing option become abundant in No Cal and OR and further.

My driftboat with oars (or small outboard) would do OK on Lakes such as Castaic or Piru or in area like O'Neill forebay.

When you think about fishing in the Delta or Sacramento River, then a higher powered skiff or bass boat starts to look attractive to cover distance.

Another consideration is the logistics of transport and storage. An inflatable takes less storage place, but do you want to inflate it at home or the fishing site. Do you have an option to carry the boat when inflated?

All the decisions have benefits and limitations. The choices are like fly rods and shoes, the more the merrier.

Ants
Ants

Postby John Harper » May 21st, 2019, 8:15 am

Lots of saltwater down in SoCal to access by float tubes or kayak's. Maybe a Hobie with Mirage drive?

John
John Harper

Return to General Fly Fishing