REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Mammoth, Early Season ?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Mammoth, Early Season ?

Postby Gary C. » October 17th, 2019, 1:01 pm

I've got a group of friends wanting me to plan a fishing trip for next year. Some are fly fishers and some aren't with different levels of fishing experience. I'm thinking about just reserving a group site in Mammoth but not sure how early is too early. Was thinking early June. What do you guys think? Jon?
Gary C.

Re: Mammoth, Early Season ?

Postby stanbery » October 17th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Gary
Depending on the snow pack early June should be good.
BOOK NOW since all the ones by the lakes book up quick.
Mammoth Mountain RV park is a good second option.
OLD shady rest or browns town on the owens
Reserve America site
https://www.recreation.gov/
[url]https://www.visitmammoth.com/hotels-lodging?f[0]=field_categories%3A15&sort_by=random_seed[/url]

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby John Harper » October 22nd, 2019, 6:20 pm

Can you reserve more than 6 months in advance? I can't get a permit for Cottonwood Lakes opener (July 1) until January 1 at the earliest.

We got lucky and stayed at Lake Mary one time, really nice spots along the north shore.

John
John Harper

Postby Gary C. » October 22nd, 2019, 8:34 pm

It depends on where you are looking at. Some places like some NF group camps and national parks can go up to a year in advance. I was just trying to get an idea on the Mammoth Lakes for future planning and consideration.
Gary C.

Postby Papasequoia » October 25th, 2019, 10:13 am

Well, ya never know. With the great late season snow last year for example, the lakes basin was still closed well into June meaning any campsites reserved there had to be canceled. During the drought years early June was a good time to fish. Shady Rest in town (as you know) should be open and has a group site area. Or, depending on how many people and how much they want to spend you could always rent a condo or two? There will always be someplace to fish then no matter what. Well, I shouldn't say no matter what since the town does sit on a volcano, but you know what I mean. :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Return to General Fly Fishing