REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

One of our members has been robbed

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: One of our members has been robbed

Postby tree catcher » January 13th, 2020, 7:42 pm

Sent a pm, please give me info for zelle or whatever it's called

Sean
tree catcher

Postby Gary C. » January 14th, 2020, 10:55 am

Zelle is new to me also, can you PM the info please.
Gary C.

Postby Papasequoia » January 14th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Gary C. wrote:Zelle is new to me also, can you PM the info please.

Zelle is really the easiest way to send money from bank to bank. It is an instantaneous transfer (unlike, apparently, Venmo where you have to wait a few days). Most banks now have Zelle and all you need to do is sign up with your bank for it online. Then, to send money, all you need is an email address or a phone number and maybe a name. For me that would be Jon Heaton, spandoc@yahoo.com.
Thanks all! Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Sasha » January 14th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Holy crap, I know I’ve not been online much for a few years. I’m down to help out anyway I can. Just let me know via PM or if any of you other “old timers” still have my contact info just text me.
Sasha

Postby John Harper » January 15th, 2020, 6:38 am

If you download the "app" for your bank to your phone, they usually have a function to enable Zelle. All I needed was Jon's phone number and I sent money within seconds. It's not "black magic" after all.

For you "Boomers" that don't know what an "app" is, well, good luck.

John
John Harper

Postby lucfish » January 15th, 2020, 8:46 am

John Harper wrote:If you download the "app" for your bank to your phone, they usually have a function to enable Zelle. All I needed was Jon's phone number and I sent money within seconds. It's not "black magic" after all.

For you "Boomers" that don't know what an "app" is, well, good luck.

John

That's pretty much me. :doh:
lucfish

Postby Ants » January 15th, 2020, 1:34 pm

Sorry to hear the bad news, but glad we can participate in some good news.

Papa, I will send some money by way of PayPal. Yes, it is dated, but I am reluctant to set up a new way to transfer money for a single event.

Thanks for coordinating the friendship effort.

Ants
Ants

Postby Papasequoia » January 15th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Ants wrote:Papa, I will send some money by way of PayPal. Yes, it is dated, but I am reluctant to set up a new way to transfer money for a single event.
Thanks for coordinating the friendship effort. Ants

Understood. However, just for general info - Zelle is safer, faster and easier to use than PayPal. You just login to your own bank like you already do (presumably) to pay bills, check the balance, etc. You tell them that you want to be able to use Zelle. They already have your bank info since they are your bank. Then one just tells them to send money with Zelle, enter my email address (or phone number) and it is done.
The transfer is instant, there are no fees. You or anyone might want to give it a try. However, I did login to my PayPal account to see if it was still there. I had to create a new pw since I had forgotten the old one, but the account is still there: spandoc@yahoo.com.

Btw all, just got a check in the mail from Luc and we are now just over halfway to what we need. Thanks all! Jon

Edit: Of course after writing this I go back to my homepage and see that your PayPal contribution has been received, Ants. Gracias.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby fly addict » January 19th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Sorry to hear about Curtis problem with scumbags ripping him off. When we were looking for a place to move to we checked out Albuquerque, but the high crime issue convinced us to look elsewhere. Curtis’s repeated theft issue confirmed our research. When I get back home in March I’ll get a reel and flies for him.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Papasequoia » January 21st, 2020, 10:16 pm

Update: Thanks to Jim, Richard Cullip, Tom Sakai, Ryan, John Harper, Luc, Justin, Ants, Mike/Midger, Bernard and, well, me (toot toot) we are within $150 of what we need for a new net. Thanks to Greg also who is contributing by way of a discount. More good news. I met KP of the Drake board a few years ago and we have been in touch. As you may know he is organizing the gear donation drive on that forum. He has also received some donations in the form of cash. After checking with those donors if it would be acceptable he informed me when we talked last night that he can make up any shortfall we may encounter on our board which is, of course, much smaller.

Greg has committed to making the net and it is in his queue. I mentioned to Curtis, who agreed that it would be a great idea, that maybe he could take a trip out to get the net in person and maybe, you know, get it wet for the first time in an Eastern Sierra stream. Maybe another Volcano Party in the fall? Stay tuned.

If you had already planned on donating and haven't gotten to it yet, don't let that stop you. Any extra cash the Drake board gets will be given directly to Curtis to get any gear that he may still need. So, the less we need to get from that fund the better. Zelle or PayPal to me will still work, as will a paper check delivered by Pony Express. I know that some of you are doing other things like tying flies which is awesome. Great work all! Jon/Papa
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby lucfish » January 22nd, 2020, 8:30 am

That's great news Jon.
lucfish

Postby RichardCullip » January 22nd, 2020, 8:37 am

Thanks for the update, Jon
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby WanderingBlues » January 22nd, 2020, 9:43 am

I’m just humbled. In my mind, I figured I’d eventually replace the gear that was stolen, and maybe in a few years, have Greg create a new Miss Nona. What I didn’t figure on replacing was faith in humanity. Having been victimized that many times in such a short period of time had me pretty seriously *. I couldn’t walk by a transient or addict without wanting to give a beat down. And that’s not who I am at my core. Looking at it, it’s almost a form of PTSD.

Fortunately, you guys have illuminated a path away from that. I’ve always admired how the folks here at FFA have given to others, whether in the form of a Blu Homecoming, opening your home to guys, or even a simple “Hey, I think you need some stream time so I’ll pick you up tomorrow morning..” It’s an understanding that it’s the connection to others is what really matters.

Since I originally posted a rant about all this, we’ve not spent another night at our condo. We loaded up our trailer, went down to the Texas Gulf, and haven’t looked back. We put the condo, and a loft we have downtown, on the market and I’m happy to say both are under contract. If it all works out, we will find a home between Albuquerque and Santa Fe that’s not in the city. Our son is going to school locally now and we have made so many amazing friends. And, the fly tossing ain’t too shabby.....

So, again, my deepest thanks for your kindness. There’s no doubt a new Miss Nona would be inaugurated in the Eastern Sierra. And, once we find it, my door is always open for you guys.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby DrCreek » May 10th, 2020, 12:52 pm

And here it is. The thread of threads. Clearly I haven't been on here since our Mammoth run. Haven't really done any line-wetting at all thanks to the ridiculousness they call "Covid." I'd rather be fishing the bay considering the temps are accelerating UP, but I cant.. because even though our wonderful mayor opened up the bay and beaches for fishing, he was sneakily proactive in the 24hrs before.. he directed City Streets Division to set out a little over 1,000 temporary NO PARKING signs on ALL of the major streets surrounding the bay. Not just a few, ALL. So we were invited to dinner, but they kept the house locked. All bay and beach parking lots and side streets are closed. And because of this, I now know about a thousand guys here locally that are pizzed beyond words. We're all affected. So the only way to fish here is get dropped off by Uber, a girlfriend, wife or whoever and picked back up by the same. Insanity at its finest, right here in SD.

I was so bummed when you told me the 459 story yesterday. I've always prayed that never happened to me. So far I seem to have luckily escaped the non-pleasure of it all. I'll say this.. the way our boys appear to have stepped-up is beyond any real words. But I kinda figured they did even before our conversation went there. This is what happens when you're a proven "good guy." Well, not all that good maybe ;) , but a pretty decent person all-around in my opinion.. and I can attest to that. :funnyup:

So tomorrow I'm going to pull-out ALL of my shi.. err.. stream stuff out of the spare bedroom closet and send a little love your way in the form of a stick that holds some incredible memories - one is I've always fished it when you and I were together if that tells you anything. And maybe I'll throw in some other stuff you might not have - including some nice, tight hairy dries. I hope you fall in love with it all and use the daylights out of it.. perfect stuff for NM waters.. you know what I'm talkin' about - as I don't skimp one bit.

And this is what you get from me to you. I'm not there - I'm pretty far away, but never are you out of sight or mind. I think about you .. well, all of you all the time (you, Stanbery, Crosby, Papa, Jim, Bob, Mark - all of you) - and hope that one of these days we can all get together again like we used to.. just a bunch of trucks, SUV's and Jeeps pulling up all at once for a huge bombing run on some Sierra stream.. because you just never know anymore.. and I miss my flyfishing friends and all the fun we had.

I'll let you know when its all in the mail. I miss you a ton. Love to you and I'm sorry you got ripped off, Mike
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Papasequoia » May 24th, 2020, 2:36 pm

Well, I have not updated this thread since January, but I just received notice from Greg that he has begun work on the replacement net for Curtis. He sent me some pictures copied below and wrote this to me, "Great progress on the net today. I took the one plank i had left, ripped it on half, used half for strips and cut the handle out of the other side. It even had a few burl eyes in it!"

That is the good (great) news. The bad news is that the cost has gone up. Greg agreed to make this net for the same price that he made the original one with the friend's discount which came to $770. This group came up with $625 and the Drake group made up the difference by contributing $145 for the total of $770 and I thought we were set. However, when Greg started work he sent me the invoice and apparently tax was not included in the original bid so the actual total we owe is $825, which means we are $57 dollars short.

So, I know that there were a few of you who did not see the post and didn't get a chance to contribute and some others who said if more was needed they would send more, so here is your chance! ;) Please let me know if you can contribute even $5 or $10 bucks to help out. Thanks much and I will post more pics as I get them, or maybe Greg will post some.

IMG_1638.jpg
IMG_1638.jpg (163.08 KiB) Viewed 5781 times

IMG_1637.jpg
IMG_1637.jpg (154.43 KiB) Viewed 5781 times

IMG_1636.jpg
IMG_1636.jpg (106.03 KiB) Viewed 5781 times

IMG_1635.jpg
IMG_1635.jpg (194.12 KiB) Viewed 5781 times
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing