REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Small Stream Leader

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Small Stream Leader

Postby Bernard » April 5th, 2020, 10:10 am

I am way overdue to seriously start reconsidering leader length when fishing small waters especially when dapping, bow and arrow casting and super short casts are 95% of one's needs. The math seems obvious and I am wondering why the idea does not pop up more often in fly fishing conversation. Example, you are crouching 15 feet from a fish in a spot beyond a mid-stream gravel bar. Your rod is already compensating for at least half of this distance. The fish would be oblivious to a sloppy cast landing on your side of the gravel bar. The water is flowing such that you only will need 2 feet of drift at most to cover this fish. You get where this is going right? I mean, a willow branch and 3 feet of straight 5x would suit you fine. Soooo I am already planning on working on some short leaders for my local trips. Anyone already doing this? I'm not sure we need to get deep into the formulas.

Oh and before I go any further, on a somewhat related note, I am considering downsizing on reel size and line capacity. The fixed line approach seems attractive but I have been on enough local treks to suddenly go around the corner and want to make a 30 foot cast so .... dot dot dot ... a rod with a reel still appeals to me. BUT an unexpected larger fish deciding to head to Catalina may only be able to go 20 feet up or downstream due to terrain or obstacles. Why pack a 90 foot fly line with backing?

Thoughts?
Bernard
Bernard

Re: Small Stream Leader

Postby rayfound » April 5th, 2020, 11:09 am

I mean, I have long been a fan of about a 4-5' furled leader + tippet on small streams - Usually about 12" of 4x and 18" of 5 or 6x.

I am not actually a fan of the stortest rods - i find my 7'10" rod a lot easier to use on small streams than my 6'6" rod, because the length helps with line control.

I have a small diameter reel, and I think the biggest advantage of the furled leader is it doesn't take the memory of the reel much. Like most light-line folks, I buy DT lines, so while I could use less line on the reel, there isn't much better place to store the other half than on the reel anyway.

That said, I got out of the habit of making my own and have just been using a regular tapered. It is fine too.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 5th, 2020, 5:21 pm

Bernard,

I just buy a 7.5’ 5X or 6X tapered leader, cut off three and a half feet and put a tippet ring on. Then I put a foot of 4X on then a foot or two of either 5X or 6X. The tippet ring allows for unlimited adjustments to match the conditions encountered.

KISS Principal....

Regards,

Jeff

P.S. Your double taper cut in half thought in your pm with 25 or 30’ of backing would have worked on any small stream that I have ever fished....great idea!
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby Bernard » April 5th, 2020, 7:18 pm

Thank you gentlemen. I love these suggestions and have already been planning on chopping a DT5 in half and overlining a four weight with the half 5. The furled leader is something I all but forgot about. Good call. Thanks again.
Bernard

Postby DubL HauL » April 6th, 2020, 8:07 am

I'm using a 6'6" and 7'6" 2wt rod for small streaming. Noticed some of the 2wt lines are sold shorter nowadays. Most of the fishing is with a rod's length or two of flyline out past the rod tip but there are times in places when a 40ft cast is an option which I do often. Learned to like the longer 7'6" rod in most cases but there are some brushy creeks the 6'6" is fun to have. Would not limit flyline length though for the type of fishing I do but that is just me.

Interested to learn more about short leaders, small stream streamer fishing, leader to flyline connections, etc. Never been happy with leader to line connection.
DubL HauL

Postby Bernard » April 6th, 2020, 8:49 am

DubL HauL wrote:... Never been happy with leader to line connection.

Now THAT is a good topic! Shall we digress? Seems relevant!
- B
Bernard

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 6th, 2020, 9:04 am

Bernard wrote:
DubL HauL wrote:... Never been happy with leader to line connection.

Now THAT is a good topic! Shall we digress? Seems relevant!
- B

Still my favorite after 50 plus years.

76030EA0-F05C-4994-A640-D6CD4C58C968.png
Leader link
76030EA0-F05C-4994-A640-D6CD4C58C968.png (128.15 KiB) Viewed 4918 times

669991C7-3703-423C-9B1D-F6E7708772D3.jpeg
Wright and McGill/Eagle Claw Leader Links
669991C7-3703-423C-9B1D-F6E7708772D3.jpeg (248.47 KiB) Viewed 4872 times
FIGHTONSC

Postby rayfound » April 6th, 2020, 9:26 am

It wasn't at all clear to me how those dohickeys would work... but this video helped and *, it does look slick.

Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 6th, 2020, 9:40 am

rayfound wrote:It wasn't at all clear to me how those dohickeys would work... but this video helped and *, it does look slick.

They work great....simple, but brilliant idea!

Regards,

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Postby Ants » April 7th, 2020, 9:00 am

The leader links seem to offer many advantages of tied options with uv coating. The loop to loop connections have never been satisfying with lighter / smaller lines.

I use a furled leader often, but got reminded about two limitations. When casting in the wind, the furled leader get blown much more. In addition, it sinks more and makes mending less effective.

My preference is for the Sylk DT lines since they have smaller diameters.

It is always a little challenge since different wind and water conditions affect how the whole setup works. When it is right, everything cast smoothly. At other times, things change (tapered leader got cut too short or wrong tippet / length) and it is a pain in the butt.

In my creek fishing, I usually have 30-40 foot casts for cast 3/4 of the time.

I used my Tenkara rod and enjoyed the option to drop onto a small target, but hated it all the other time.

Ants
Ants

Postby DubL HauL » April 7th, 2020, 9:16 am

FIGHTONSC wrote:
I just buy a 7’ 5X or 6X tapered leader, cut off three and a half feet and put a tippet ring on. Then I put a foot of 4X on then a foot or two of either 5X or 6X.

KISS Principal....

For my small stream set up that is exactly what I was planning to do although was thinking of getting a 7' 3x tapered leader and tie the ring on the 3x. From there just the tippet of choice. Then using a micrometer find where the taper ends on the butt section and adjust the length from the ring to the butt section. Pro's and con's of this?
DubL HauL

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 7th, 2020, 9:24 am

DubL HauL wrote:
FIGHTONSC wrote:
I just buy a 7’ 5X or 6X tapered leader, cut off three and a half feet and put a tippet ring on. Then I put a foot of 4X on then a foot or two of either 5X or 6X.

KISS Principal....

For my small stream set up that is exactly what I was planning to do although was thinking of getting a 7' 3x tapered leader and tie the ring on the 3x. From there just the tippet of choice. Then using a micrometer find where the taper ends on the butt section and adjust the length from the ring to the butt section. Pro's and con's of this?

Dubl,

You might have a problem using a 3X, because you will have to almost go all the way down to the end of the leader due to taper thickness in order to fit it through/tie it to the tippet ring if using a 2 or 3 mm ring.

Regards,

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Postby Bernard » April 7th, 2020, 10:06 am

Loving this thread. Man oh man, I forgot all about those "leader links". I remember many of my mentors as a young fly angler frowning hard on those things but, *, makes sense. I will revisit! Why the * not? THANKS! I do recall often nail-knotting butt-section to fly line with a needle such that the butt section actually goes through about 1/4 of an inch of the fly line. In other words, it is 100% aligned with the fly line and joins the fly line dead center. Then, as the tradition went, we'd gently crimp the whole knot with pliers to slightly flatten the whole bundle. Then we'd put a coat of pliobond to seal out the water and maybe add a tiny bit of strength to the whole thing. Man, I am tired just thinking about the process ...
B.
Bernard

Postby lucfish » April 7th, 2020, 10:22 am

The old Flyfishing Addicts site is still useful, isn't it?
lucfish

Postby Bernard » April 7th, 2020, 4:36 pm

lucfish wrote:The old Flyfishing Addicts site is still useful, isn't it?

Agreed :)
Bernard

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing