REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

My first time playing with a critter cam

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

My first time playing with a critter cam

Postby Bernard » June 10th, 2020, 9:34 am

Hello Fellow Addicts!

Thought y'all might enjoy this informal review of my first foray into the realm of critter cams. Footage was captured in the Los Padres. The partial Mt. Lion footage was from a location where we saw tracks on previous visits. Seeing critters are part of the fun when you fish right? I'm learning a lot and cannot wait for my next round of camera positions.

Basically, this is some of my very amateur footage using my newly purchased cams and has wound up becoming a review comparing two low cost cameras.

- The nightime footage is from a "Trail Camera"; brand is Funshion (I think). It worked well and the nightime deer and kangaroo rat footage is from this camera. https://bit.ly/funshioncam

- The other camera is an "Apeman" brand and has only one sensor that has proven buggy. You will see in this video footage of a chipmunk that triggered the camera without difficulty while (with the same camera in the same spot, within the same time frame, with what seemed to be proper settings and with fresh batteries) a mountain lion was barely captured and it was moving casually and slowly (final clip). I missed a great chance at footage of the trophy animal. This is a major drag and makes no sense. I will also add that the Apeman has some software quirks that are annoying. https://bit.ly/apemancam

Both cameras are offshore makes and curiously have certain similarities such as almost identical manuals. Something's fishy here lol!

I tested both cameras many times to ensure that they functioned and cannot explain how so much of the Mt. Lion was missed..... you get what you pay for right?

Video: https://bit.ly/crittercammay2020

Enjoy. B.
Bernard

Re: My first time playing with a critter cam

Postby Jason » June 10th, 2020, 11:15 am

Interesting stuff, at least you got the lions tail! I've thought about getting one of these to see what sort of critter I can hear rooting around in my compost pile at night. It has to be a possum or raccoon, but I'd like to get some footage.
Jason

Postby Ants » June 10th, 2020, 1:17 pm

That looks like fun!

There are probably lots of surprises near and far from when we are not watching.

Is there underwater version to document fish behavior?

Ants
Ants

Postby huntingtheriverking » June 10th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Cool reviews. Weighing in here from my experience with reviewing multiple action cameras.
Many of them are manufactured in similar factories, and often have very similar software built in. Sometimes they are re-branded -- i.e. one camera will be sold by multiple companies under different names. This is especially true of cheaper car dash cameras (all using nearly identical software). US resellers will take one, rebrand it, and resell it.

Some were absolutely great, excellent lower cost alternatives to GoPro. Others were pretty obviously much lower in quality.

If you would like some local intel on reliable trail cameras, get in touch with this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/user/humpermonkey
He is locally famous for great footage of the area wildlife in the San Gabriels.
Check out his recent footage from the West Fork -- bear! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi6Cnwc6vFg
huntingtheriverking

Postby Bernard » June 10th, 2020, 8:39 pm

Jason - go for it!

Ants - as far as UW - I am not sure. One of challenges I have found with these cameras is that they also will pick up all sorts of movements that you didn't even think of so, for example, should a tree sway due to a strong breeze, it could trigger the camera. Placing the camera and setting its sensitivity settings (if possible) is part of the art. I have no clue re UW. Might be very interesting to explore.

River King - Thanks for the info. and the links.

I am going somewhere on Friday where I may consider leaving a camera for a longer term; say a few months!

I am still bummed that I missed the Lion. This is in an area where I have seen a lot of tracks including bear as well. I had left the camera for about a week.

B.
Bernard

Postby clee » June 10th, 2020, 8:46 pm

You * trail cam guys now got me all paranoid on where to take a dump or leak.

Pretty sweet videos though.
clee

Postby Wildman » June 11th, 2020, 6:04 am

I've used the trail cams for human predators at times here in our valley but thankfully only caught wild and domestic visitors. I had a mixed bag of success with in focus captures but was always amazed at how many wild things visit our little place year round. Funniest was two Coyote drinking at our pond being run off by a bossy Bobcat with an attitude. There are some that have taken this to a new level but will use products with a "pro" price tag
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby RichardCullip » June 11th, 2020, 7:07 am

Critter cams are fun. Last Fall we have bobcat cruise our backyard a couple of times. That was a special visit as I usually just catch the rats having fun.

another visit

Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby FIGHTONSC » June 12th, 2020, 5:57 am

Bernard wrote:
One of challenges I have found with these cameras is that they also will pick up all sorts of movements that you didn't even think of so, for example, should a tree sway due to a strong breeze, it could trigger the camera.

Funny that you mentioned that the trail cameras pick up “all sorts of movements”.

I set mine up in our nature preserve behind the house. When I reviewed the pictures a week later I had hundreds of pictures of a irrigation sprinkler every time it would swing in front of the camera. Also saw turkeys, deer, red fox and mink, but mostly sprinklers.

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby McFlyfi » June 15th, 2020, 11:53 am

I've been using them at my cabin for at least 5-6 years. I have 3- 2 cheapos ($40.00) and an "expensive" Browning ($125.00)
The Browning is by far the best. I have one cheapo under the deck pointed to the forest, and 2 on a tree roughly perpendicular to the other cam- set's up a cross fire. For the two on the tree, one is set for pictures, and one for video.
We've captured deer, bear, coyote, foxes, bobcat, squirrels, birds, cats, dogs, people, horses, cows...but no mountain lion. I know there is at least one around, I've see it down lower crossing the road.

When we've left the cameras run for a couple of months, there are literally thousands of pics. Once there was an Edison crew removing a couple of trees from our lot, and we had hundreds of pic of the guys doing the work.

I just culled some video I had on my laptop:
https://youtu.be/w8uG66QQvrI
At about 0:27 on the video link above, you see the flash go off from the cheap camera as the bear walks by it.
McFlyfi

Postby Bernard » June 17th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Richard - LOVE the bobcat!

Jeff - YES you are so right. I have great footage of shadows of trees blown by the wind.

McFlyfi - Thanks for the insights

Bernard
Bernard

Postby rkfiske » June 19th, 2020, 6:36 pm

* I should have taken a look at the forum before I bought. Just literally bought a trail cam on a whim to try to see who just ate some of the bean seeds I planted. If I get to the bottom of it, I'll post it here!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby Bernard » June 21st, 2020, 7:30 am

rkfiske wrote:* I should have taken a look at the forum before I bought. Just literally bought a trail cam on a whim to try to see who just ate some of the bean seeds I planted. If I get to the bottom of it, I'll post it here!

We look forward to the report!
Bernard

Return to General Fly Fishing