REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Update to Forest Closure Orders

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Update to Forest Closure Orders

Postby McFlyfi » September 15th, 2020, 9:46 am

It took me a while, but I finally found an updated forest closure link:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/r5/alert-notices#orders

The bad news- as I predicted, the closure order has been extended another week- Sept 15-21.
There are actually three separate orders- two that close specific forests (together encompassing all of them), and one prohibiting any kind of fire (including stoves) and smoking.

Gotta wonder if we'll ever be let back in, but that's probably me just being fatalistic. I've got a trip planned to the Stanislaus for Oct 2-10, and I am okay with one more extension.
Technically, that includes Lake Isabella, Kern river and its tribs. Technically, that includes my cabin. I suppose it includes Ants' residence as well.
McFlyfi

Re: Update to Forest Closure Orders

Postby lucfish » September 15th, 2020, 10:14 am

I've got a trip up north Mid October and I plan on going but if they had it extended till then and we have the current amount of smoke and fires, well I wouldn't go.... That smoke inhibits my breathing too much, already have lung and heart issues, don't need to make them worse than they already are. Lot of staying indoor for this guy. On the bright side, looks like a little weather up north, might slow some of this down. Thanks for the link.
lucfish

Re: Update to Forest Closure Orders

Postby Ants » September 15th, 2020, 12:40 pm

The house is located on unincorporated county land, so forest closure has no impact.

There seems to be a diligent efforts to keep folks off the forest service land with the hot springs as well as the lake shoreline. A trip upriver was made in smoky conditions until the road closure at JD bridge and Sherman Pass road. The campers have gone. There were probably a half dozen cars parked along the river that were fishing.

I asked the Tulare deputy if there was any problems with my driving up the river. Answer was No. Fishing gear was left home to avoid any temptation as well confirming a non-fishing drive in case anyone stopped me.

The air quality is moderately unhealthy as a norm. In comparison, Mammoth Lakes seem to report hazardous conditions on a daily basis.

The private campgrounds are open in Kernville and river access outside the forest is available around Kernville. Check your maps to be sure and don't aggravate locals with private property.

September and October have been noted for large wildfires. My guess is that significantly cooler conditions and significant fire containment would be needed before a major reopening.

If someone is absolutely bored, I am painting the house and have extra brushes and rollers. The hourly tuition cost to learn new techniques have been lowered due to pandemic.

Cheers. Hoping your local air quality is good and fire threats are low.

Ants
Ants

Return to General Fly Fishing