REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Some Drone Footage For The Heck Of It

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Some Drone Footage For The Heck Of It

Postby Bernard » December 6th, 2020, 5:23 pm

After hiking and fishing all summer+fall it was hard to find the self-discipline to experiment with the drone versus fish. Don't we have too many gadgets as it is!? Anyway, a few days ago the fishing on one of my fave waters was horrible so it seemed like a perfect time to practice some Sierra Foothill flying. Enjoy! Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd8nLWItLsc&feature=youtu.be.
Bernard
Bernard

Re: Some Drone Footage For The Heck Of It

Postby Ants » December 8th, 2020, 7:41 pm

Nice drone's eye view.

I would enjoy more views from the tops of the canyon walls since I will never get there.

Any fish?

Ants
Ants

Postby Bernard » December 9th, 2020, 3:55 pm

Ants wrote:Nice drone's eye view.

I would enjoy more views from the tops of the canyon walls since I will never get there.

Any fish?

Ants

As a novice pilot, I get real nervous when the drone is out of my range of vision. It's mind-boggling how far these things will go. So, to answer your question, tops of canyon walls - not from this particular outing. They were too high up! But I hear you. I am often curious too. Will I find a snoozing mountain lion? What's up there? I'll do better in time. As for the fishing, this was a mid-elevation spot that was crazy warm this summer so there were no trout to be found and, well, nothing else on this excursion. Like most west slope mid-elevation rivers, it is above a lake so with proper timing during the right season, one can find fish.
- B
Bernard

Postby McFlyfi » December 11th, 2020, 9:30 am

Really cool footage.
What are you flying?
We've flown a couple of toy drones, crashed the heck out of them. I was nervous flying them 25 feet up.
I am considering a DJI Mini 2, but I have a hard time thinking about "letting go" of the thing and flying it anywhere near its capabilities. I would think you would have to be prepared to lose it every time you fly it. Does that feeling ever go away?
McFlyfi

Postby Bernard » December 11th, 2020, 12:47 pm

McFlyfi wrote:Really cool footage.
What are you flying?
We've flown a couple of toy drones, crashed the heck out of them. I was nervous flying them 25 feet up.
I am considering a DJI Mini 2, but I have a hard time thinking about "letting go" of the thing and flying it anywhere near its capabilities. I would think you would have to be prepared to lose it every time you fly it. Does that feeling ever go away?

I have the basic DJI Mini and love it. Unless you get a tad crazy, it's easy to fly and almost idiot proof. I was nervous too. I know you Matt. You'll be fine. The Mini 2 seems very cool.
B.
Bernard

Return to General Fly Fishing