REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Bernard Made Me Do It

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Bernard Made Me Do It

Postby McFlyfi » February 18th, 2021, 8:28 am

After toying with the idea for a few months, and after seeing Bernard's drone footage, I got one myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5erbumlwdw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RMqmUL16XE

It's a dji Mini 2, which is the current iteration of the drone he is flying. The camera and gimble on it are impressive. The gimble removes ALL of any kind of camera shake, and the smoothness while flying is impressive.

For me, it is nerve wracking to fly it high or far, but it is a very capable camera platform. The transmission range for the Occu Sync between camera and controller is 6.5 miles. Now, it wouldn't be legal to fly it that far away (you technically have to be able to see it), but it's good to know that the communication system is very robust.

I have about 3.5 hours on the controls, and I wouldn't yet say that I am a confident pilot, but I am getting there.
It is, as Bernard has said, ridiculously easy to fly, much easier than the "toy" drones I have had. If you let off of the controls, it holds it's position perfectly. So if you need to get re-oriented, it's very easy. I have "lost" it a couple of times (this thing is tiny), but hitting the return to home button brings it right back to its launch spot.

As the videos I shot show, I am really interested in low altitude flight. The perspective of movement from knee height is something you don't see very often.
McFlyfi

Re: Bernard Made Me Do It

Postby Gary C. » February 18th, 2021, 9:31 am

Looking forward to videos of some of your adventures.

PS: Water looks good.
Gary C.

Postby DarkShadow » February 18th, 2021, 10:20 am

That is cool!!
DarkShadow

Postby Bernard » February 18th, 2021, 6:05 pm

LOVE it ha ha ha! Low approaches are a blast. I practiced a few this morning on the beach over a long row of trash cans. Just trying to stay in practice. I may switch from the 1st Gen Mini to the Mini 2 myself. Thanks for sharing.
Bernard
Bernard

Postby McFlyfi » February 19th, 2021, 9:09 am

Before you upgrade, check out Litchi. It's a 3rd party app that would replace the djiGo/djiFly app to control your Mini. It really unlocks the potential of what you already have. It would give you "follow me" capability, and future plans have it being able to plot waypoints-you can plot a whole flight via gps/maps on your computer, load the flight onto your phone, and have the Mini fly the course all by itself. It's not available for the Mini 2 (yet), but if they end up supporting the Mini 2, I'll at least try it.

Oh, and B, if you want to try mine, let me know...
McFlyfi

Return to General Fly Fishing