REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Neoprene booty bunching in stocking foot waders

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Neoprene booty bunching in stocking foot waders

Postby wiscoy » February 26th, 2021, 10:11 am

Just a quick question for the group. When put my wading boots on with my Simms waders, the booty tends to bunch at the back of the boot when putting my foot in which then sometimes has a tendency to bother my toes while walking/wadding. Anyone have a method for preventing this?

Wiscoy
wiscoy

Re: Neoprene booty bunching in stocking foot waders

Postby John Harper » February 26th, 2021, 10:29 am

Good luck. I gave up on waders because of the same issue. Or, it was custom order some for over $600 and hope they fit. I just use wading socks now, but mainly for creek/small river fishing. I found some real nice wading socks that come up pretty far on my lower leg. I can post up the name when I get home from work.

EDIT: I bought WETSOX brand wader socks. Very well made and work well for me.

John
John Harper

Postby DarkShadow » February 26th, 2021, 2:01 pm

What John Harper said.

"Good luck."

I don't have the coin to drop on custom made waders, cuz I get mine off the Clearance Rack. And since I'm built like a bowling ball, it's hard to find waders off the shelf that will accommodate a 44 inch chest, and have an inseam of 28 inches, and have a bootie to fit my size 8.5 feet. Yes, I played fullback in high school.

I don't think they make waders for someone built like Spongebob.

I just wet wade year around now. Fixes the problem. I buy the women's version of Simm's Neoprene Sock and i'm in heaven.

But, when I DO have to get into my waders, I suffer the same problem, and it takes several re-insertions of your foot to get into something 'more' comfortable. Regardless, after 5 miles, the neoprene bootie slips to the back and your toes end up scrunched up, while your heel is floating in extra neoprene. I take off my boot and re-adjust when necessary. I noticed this issue with Simms waders.

Luckily, the Patagonia Gallegos that I have now did a good job of having several sizes on the shelf, and found some really comfortable ones that were made for an Oompa Loompa. And the neoprene seems thicker, which doesn't move too much inside the wading boot.
DarkShadow

Postby lucfish » February 26th, 2021, 7:23 pm

Try adding an extra pair of socks before you put on the waders.
lucfish

Postby fshflys » February 27th, 2021, 9:04 am

I too had the same problem, Orvis waders had neoprene booties that would fit size 10, my feet are size 8, if that. When it became time to replace I bought Patagonia, I think they have may 3 feet size selections for each size of wader. I even got mine On Sale!
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby FIGHTONSC » February 27th, 2021, 10:15 am

lucfish wrote:Try adding an extra pair of socks before you put on the waders.

What Luc said....if you eliminate the loose space inside the booty, then they won’t slip and bunch up.

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby DarkShadow » March 1st, 2021, 11:41 am

fshflys wrote:I even got mine On Sale!

Looks like we had the same problem and found the answer in the same manufacturer! Got a pair of Gallegos for about 200 bucks 3 years ago and they have been bullet proof.

As much as I used to make fun of the people who rock Patagonia as people who don't even know where Patagonia IS and their idea of a hike is walking from their Range Rover to the local Erewhon, I do realize they make some fantastic gear.
DarkShadow

Postby rayfound » March 1st, 2021, 7:03 pm

Merino Wool Socks under waders.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby wiscoy » March 11th, 2021, 8:25 am

Ok, so after writing this post tried a few other ways to help with the bunching issue. I found that when put my foot into the wading boot and the neoprene bunches up that if you push the neoprene back under your foot into the shoe that the fit is much more comfortable - it does not put the pressure on front of my foot and toes. I have been using this method the last few times I have been out and have remained pain free. I also tried putting the booty into the shoe first, then putting my foot in and while this worked well it was a bit harder to do.
wiscoy

Return to General Fly Fishing