REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The SGs [WFSG]

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

The SGs [WFSG]

Postby Bernard » March 18th, 2021, 8:38 am

I figure that several forum members might be interested in this image of the hills above the WFSG:
https://trouthugger.blogspot.com/2021/03/scorched-earth-policy.html.

I went early one weekend to get drone footage of the fire damage and launched from a safe (and legal) parking spot to see if I could get a few quick shots of the area. Shortly after launch my drone, perhaps due to terrain or other interference, decided to head off into the hills on its own and only after considerable scrambling was I able to regain signal only to find the drone had nicely "landed" in a bush or tree. Luckily the drone has a "locate" function and I was able to find its location; HIGH ON A * HILL! Exhausted and after a haul up an eroding hillside I found a cluster of bushes that survived the fire and heard the drone beeping. After a minute or two of some of the most brutal bushwhacking I have ever done, I found the silly thing. I snapped a shot and headed home dirty. The drone had 3 broken props and upon replacing all 4 sets of props, seemed to be fine. Whew!

But, aside from my silly adventures, I will add that the hills are torched. It was heartbreaking. The stream was running clear but it was easy to see that post-fire soot+silt had settled in everywhere. I am hopeful that a few years from now, the fish will bounce back and the fact that the region is closed might be good for Mother Nature. When I climbed the hill, I was blown away by the sheer volume of trash such as old bottles and cans that had clearly been there forever and only exposed because of the fire. It is/was as though all the people who trash the WF made it high up on the nearby hills. Really surprising.

I may post video footage soon of the mishap.

B.
Bernard

Re: The SGs [WFSG]

Postby John Harper » March 18th, 2021, 9:30 am

Good job in the recovery! Love to see a video

John
John Harper

Postby lucfish » March 18th, 2021, 11:23 am

If you say that it was the hardest bushwhacking you’ve ever done, it must have been rough. Glad it was you and not me!
lucfish

Postby Wildman » March 19th, 2021, 5:47 am

You bring up a good point...I was always amazed at the sheer volume of cigarette butts we would find when we fought wild fires in the Cajon Pass along the freeway. When the grass burned away, there would a zaillion butts exposed the distance a flick from a car might take them. This was always continuous.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Bernard » March 19th, 2021, 10:01 am

Wildman wrote:You bring up a good point...I was always amazed at the sheer volume of cigarette butts we would find when we fought wild fires in the Cajon Pass along the freeway. When the grass burned away, there would a zaillion butts exposed the distance a flick from a car might take them. This was always continuous.

Wow. Each one a hazard if thrown at the right time into the right little bundle of roadside kindling ...

Here's the drone footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=968rzfstrwY. The drone turns around automatically to "come home" after losing signal but is thwarted by bushes. One can adjust the return elevation. Mine was set, well, about 1 or 2 feet too low! *!

What made the bushwhacking crazy was the density and hardness of the brush (perhaps hardened by the heat of the fires?). After grabbing the drone I looked around wondering if I could even exit the way I entered without getting scratched up etc. Comical really.

B.
Bernard

Postby Gary C. » March 19th, 2021, 11:49 am

Not at all happy about the drone crash but since it did happen I can't deny I was looking forward to the video. Even before the crash it was still a cool video of the canyon.
Gary C.

Postby Bernard » March 19th, 2021, 5:04 pm

Gary C. wrote:Not at all happy about the drone crash but since it did happen I can't deny I was looking forward to the video. Even before the crash it was still a cool video of the canyon.

- Understood. That was part of the reason I did not give up hope when I lost it. It was stressful but then I kept saying "...the footage! the footage!"

B.
Bernard

Postby McFlyfi » March 21st, 2021, 8:52 pm

Wildman wrote:...You bring up a good point...I was always amazed at the sheer volume of cigarette butts we would find when we fought wild fires in the Cajon Pass along the freeway...

When my daughter was Girl Scout, they had a beach cleanup day. 90% of what we picked up was cigarette butts. Hundreds.

Bernard- Baja?
McFlyfi

Postby Fishfreak911 » March 28th, 2021, 10:46 am

Pretty harrowing scenario Bernard. Good on you to trudge a mile, up hill, through impossibly thick brush, to retrieve your "Trash" when others so blatantly toss theirs nonchalantly into the very wilderness they are seeking peace & refuge in. I will NEVER get that. The burn scar will heal in time and trout are incredibly resilient.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby Bernard » April 2nd, 2021, 7:40 am

Fishfreak911 wrote:Pretty harrowing scenario Bernard. Good on you to trudge a mile, up hill, through impossibly thick brush, to retrieve your "Trash" when others so blatantly toss theirs nonchalantly into the very wilderness they are seeking peace & refuge in. I will NEVER get that. The burn scar will heal in time and trout are incredibly resilient.

I agree. The trout will return. They will catch us all off guard! As for the "trash" you are so right.

Funny story about "trash" - Last summer I was fishing a reservoir and lost a massive streamer on a branch that was positioned just beyond reach. It is/was not legal to touch the water because its use for drinking water. It was a humorous quandary. My companions and I said * it and I waded in to get the streamer lest I litter. My ankles were no dirtier than the massive amount of bear * that flows into that same lake so I do not feel like a criminal ;) If your next iced tea has a slight hint of "fragrance de foot" you can blame me heh heh.

2020 had my wife and I ramp up our practice of bringing bags to haul trash out in as well as sometimes wearing larger than necessary backpacks to accommodate for the trash. I have come to the conclusion that it is going to be part of all of my treks moving forward (and should always have been).

B.
Bernard

Postby Ants » April 5th, 2021, 2:31 pm

Trash cleanup gives me mixed feelings. In isolated areas, I figure my trash pickup will last for years (maybe).

In heavily used areas, the trash returns the next weekend. Big thanks to groups like Keepers of the Kern who address the weekly efforts.

In early 2020 covid days, I headed out to a creek and was the only vehicle parked at the site. The 'trash' I found was an unopened pony keg of beer cooling in the creek. Before I could properly dispose of it, it was recovered. Most trash is not as entertaining.

Ants
Ants

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 6th, 2021, 6:48 am

Ants wrote:Trash cleanup gives me mixed feelings. In isolated areas, I figure my trash pickup will last for years (maybe).

In heavily used areas, the trash returns the next weekend. Big thanks to groups like Keepers of the Kern who address the weekly efforts.

In early 2020 covid days, I headed out to a creek and was the only vehicle parked at the site. The 'trash' I found was an unopened pony keg of beer cooling in the creek. Before I could properly dispose of it, it was recovered. Most trash is not as entertaining.

Ants

Was it a decent beer like KRB Sequoia Red, or just some commercial swill?

Good one, Ants!
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby huntingtheriverking » April 12th, 2021, 10:58 am

Great report.
Retrieving an errant drone near beehives and rattlesnakes in thick brush was one of my least-favorite drone experiences.
huntingtheriverking

Postby huntingtheriverking » April 12th, 2021, 11:04 am

Wow. Ok, mad props to you that you could recover that quad. You had some serious distance going with it when it lost connectivity and attempted RTH and those hills are no joke.

I think newer DJI models have an obstacle avoidance system that is on even during RTH operations, enabling it to avoid trees and whatnot.
I didn't realize you started flying near the first parking lot and you were well on your way to Bear Creek it appears when that loss happened. Amazing you got it back bro!
huntingtheriverking

Postby Bernard » April 13th, 2021, 12:24 am

huntingtheriverking wrote:Wow. Ok, mad props to you that you could recover that quad. You had some serious distance going with it when it lost connectivity and attempted RTH and those hills are no joke.

I think newer DJI models have an obstacle avoidance system that is on even during RTH operations, enabling it to avoid trees and whatnot.
I didn't realize you started flying near the first parking lot and you were well on your way to Bear Creek it appears when that loss happened. Amazing you got it back bro!

... A lot of huffing and puffing and self-judgement! What I mean is that I felt that just giving up would be negligent and there was a feeling in my gut that maybe I could somehow locate it even if a long shot. Good point re: newer drones and different models and brands that have an obstacle avoidance for the return to home function.
- B
Bernard

Return to General Fly Fishing