REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

You can be a good influence and not even know it.

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

You can be a good influence and not even know it.

Postby lucfish » July 18th, 2021, 7:37 am

So about a week ago I get a friend request from a former neighbor's son. Now the last time I saw him or his family was 30+ years ago. We messaged a little bit about some old neighbors and what we are currently doing, and particularly my son,who just had his 20 year anniversary in the Navy. He's like 43 now. Out of the blue he starts talking about fishing and when I took him fishing a few times. I can hardly remember these times, but he sure did. Here is a brief bit of the conversation.

Awesome, you should be so proud of patrick. I feel like I was much older than him than I am, guess when you’re kids a few years seems like more. You should know I credit you for my love of fishing. You took me a few times and I absolutely fell in love. Glad to get in contact with you again
One specific memory I have is I caught a giant carp (lol), you showed us how to cook it and I thought it was the best thing ever. Haha first and last carp I’ve eaten, but as I remember it was amazing
Several other memories of sneaking up on trout at the end of a river entering a lake. I don’t remember what lake it was but was in a mountain
Good catching up with you Luc. You come up in my conversation about fishing more than a little. Thank you

Now I've got to tell you I'm pretty happy I was able to be a good influence on him. The thing is, I had no idea. Makes you think about one's action can be an influence, good or bad. Food for thought.
lucfish

Re: You can be a good influence and not even know it.

Postby NorcalBob » July 18th, 2021, 8:42 am

Good job Luc!!!
I had a similar experience two years ago when I attended my nephews wedding. When he was about 6, I took him fishing in my boat and he had such a good time that he wouldn't leave the lake and we were two hours late. Which got me in trouble with my wife and her sister (mom of boy), because we messed up their schedule. When they were passing the mic around at the wedding for comments by family/friends, I made the comment that Chuckie got me in trouble with my wife and his mom while retelling the story. Chuckie then took the mic and said that was one of the first and fondest memories of his childhood that he remembered, fishing and driving Uncle Bob's boat around the lake. He actually remembered more about the event than I did! I had a happy tear in my eye!!!!
Take a child fishing!!! You never know the impact it will have on their lives!!!
NorcalBob

Return to General Fly Fishing