REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The End of an Era?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: The End of an Era?

Postby Ants » August 30th, 2021, 3:04 pm

The PIO map for the French Fire shows containment lines on the South and North ends of Alta Sierra, including the end where your place is located.

That is a very good sign. I hope the fire maps are accurate and show your place in the safe zone.

At some point, the damaged homes maps are shown on a GIS based system. The sooner the better.

Hoping for the best!

Ants
Ants

Postby McFlyfi » August 30th, 2021, 4:27 pm

We have gotten some good news over the course of the last few days. It's been a rollercoaster for sure.
According to some insiders, none of the cabins in Alta Sierra proper have been damaged. That is basically the little island in the top of that map. If that map is accurate, the fire has been stopped about 50 yards from our cabin, and there has been no movement in several days.

The CHP had been allowing property owners into the area to check/retrieve property last week, but several of the property owners refused to leave, so they've cut off access. These "insiders" are now providing us intel that we can't get anywhere else. I am hoping that soon I will have a chance to get up there and have a look around

I feel pretty fortunate to (so far) have escaped the wrath of the fire, and in contrast to my last post, feel pretty good about the outcome. It's not over, but it is starting to look a lot better.
Thanks to you all for your concern!
McFlyfi

Postby rayfound » August 31st, 2021, 2:22 pm

Wonderful news. If there is any silver lining here, that surrounding area of forest should be fairly resistant to burning for quite some time now.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby McFlyfi » September 15th, 2021, 10:08 am

Update:
The fire crept within 150 yards of our place...and stopped. Or more correctly, was stopped. Evac orders were lifted, and we were able go up there. There is zero damage to our place, save for some smoke smell inside. There was very little damage to any of the community. I heard of an outbuilding getting scorched and some reports of outlying cabins sustaining some damage, but a tour by quad around the perimeter shows that all of Alta Sierra was saved.
There is extensive damage to the forest around, I'll try to get some pics posted this weekend.
Beyond grateful to all who pitched in to save our community.
McFlyfi

Postby Gary C. » September 16th, 2021, 6:44 am

So glad to hear it Matt. Our firefighters really are awesome.
Gary C.

Postby Dry Fly Rie » September 16th, 2021, 7:48 am

Great news! I'm glad your house and community were spared most of the damage.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby DarkShadow » September 16th, 2021, 11:00 am

Glad to hear everything turned out for the best.
DarkShadow

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing