REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Brookie Eradication

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Brookie Eradication

Postby 1mocast » February 27th, 2022, 11:51 am

Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Re: Brookie Eradication

Postby Gary C. » February 28th, 2022, 10:01 am

I have often cursed little stunted Brookies for overpopulating waters and crowding out other species. But its getting to the point that I'm just glad that they are there to catch in some water. Between current stocking policies (or lack of) and so many practicing catch and keep. It's nice to know that some waters can always be counted on for some Brookie action.
Gary C.

Postby John Harper » February 28th, 2022, 12:38 pm

The brookies seem to have overrun one of the Colorado Cutthroat creeks I fished in Wyoming. Caught about a dozen before I found a cutthroat. It would be nice to see them removed from some native waters. Isolated Sierra lakes, not so much an issue.

John
John Harper

Postby FIGHTONSC » March 3rd, 2022, 3:39 pm

John Harper wrote:The brookies seem to have overrun one of the Colorado Cutthroat creeks I fished in Wyoming. Caught about a dozen before I found a cutthroat. It would be nice to see them removed from some native waters. Isolated Sierra lakes, not so much an issue.

John

John,

Didn’t you have mountain lion problems at Hayspur Hatchery several years ago?

Hopefully the “Trojan” Brookies being raised by the Idaho DFG will allow for their eradication. They are a nuisance in many of Idaho’s waters with either no limit or 25 a day.

Fight On!
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby John Harper » March 4th, 2022, 9:37 am

FIGHTONSC wrote:
John Harper wrote:The brookies seem to have overrun one of the Colorado Cutthroat creeks I fished in Wyoming. Caught about a dozen before I found a cutthroat. It would be nice to see them removed from some native waters. Isolated Sierra lakes, not so much an issue.

John

John,

Didn’t you have mountain lion problems at Hayspur Hatchery several years ago?

Hopefully the “Trojan” Brookies being raised by the Idaho DFG will allow for their eradication. They are a nuisance in many of Idaho’s waters with either no limit or 25 a day.

Fight On!

No, I had a mountain lion visit my campsite outside Sun Valley about three years ago.

John
John Harper

Return to General Fly Fishing