REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fall Colors - Planning Ahead

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fall Colors - Planning Ahead

Postby Bernard » March 8th, 2022, 2:54 pm

Hello fellow Addicts!

I am hoping to host my in-laws for their first visit to the Sierra Nevada this fall. My mother in law wants very much to see quality fall colors while my father in law is a western film fanatic so the idea is to go over Tioga Pass (we will be first in the Yosemite area) and ideally catch fall colors as we descend towards Lee Vining and along the 395 corridor. Then, we will cap it off with treating my father in law to the film fest in Lone Pine. It's a lot of road but we will build in stops etc. etc. We are talking Oct. 5-9 - roughly.

I know that this is way ahead of schedule but they are coming from out of state and we wish to plan carefully.

Ok, all that said, I welcome any insights or votes of confidence that our time frame will in fact offer these fall colors. Years and years of travel in this region have indicated that this should be good but I am always focused on fishing and admittedly, look at the aspens and other trees as an incidental side note. Slap me!

Please chime in and thank you,
Bernard
Bernard

Re: Fall Colors - Planning Ahead

Postby rayfound » March 8th, 2022, 6:22 pm

Should be decent timing in Bridgeport/Twin Lakes for all the colorful aspens and you can go check out the Kokanee run in Robinson Creek. It is neat for the fisherman and the sightseer alike.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby McFlyfi » March 9th, 2022, 9:42 am

I've been in the Bridgeport area during the first week of October for the last 4 years, I agree with @rayfound. Bridgeport to Virginia Lakes had good color in all of the last 4 years. Of course that's not "along the way".
I don't know about the Mammoth/June area, but a cruise through the June Lakes Loop and the Mammoth Scenic Loop couldn't hurt on the way to Lone Pine.
McFlyfi

Postby John Harper » March 9th, 2022, 9:46 am

Lundy Canyon is just north of Lee Vining, always a good location for fall colors. Very cool cabins and you can hike back into more color.

John
John Harper

Postby Gary C. » March 9th, 2022, 9:53 am

I would do a little internet surfing and map out the western film sites along your route. There are several along Hot Creek and the Owens dry lake.
Gary C.

Postby Gary C. » March 9th, 2022, 9:54 am

I know that I have seen pictures of people at the Nevada Smith scene where Steve McQueen was hold up under boulders next to the creek while being shot at.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?loca ... ornia,+USA
Gary C.

Postby planettrout » March 9th, 2022, 10:34 am

Mono Lake...Clint Eastwood's "High Plains Drifter":

https://www.republicworld.com/entertain ... -film.html

This one my Mom was in with Tyrone Power in Lone Pine:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043959/

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby John Harper » March 10th, 2022, 6:46 am

I went to the site of High Plains Drifter! I found the big rock at the entrance to the town in the opening scene. Even found a small triangular piece of cut off wood that I presume came from the set.

John
John Harper

Postby DarkShadow » March 10th, 2022, 12:16 pm

"There's an app for that."

If you're familiar with how to use Google Maps, there is a person/organization that updates the Fall colors in the Eastern Sierra quite frequently during that time of year. I'll have the map available on my phone whenever I'm up there.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 937497&z=6

So, you can use that when you're there, and you'll be able to see where to go to see the best colors. Some areas come in earlier than others, so the map lets you see live where the best colors will be.

I was a bit early last year, but that map found me the few spots that had already started turning. No driving around hoping! Saved me a ton of time and a ton of gas.
DarkShadow

Postby Bernard » March 10th, 2022, 9:59 pm

You are killing me with this beautiful volley of fantastic wisdom. I owe you all. This is helping a LOT! The rest is simple, so to speak, GO!
- Bernard
Bernard

Postby John Harper » March 11th, 2022, 6:42 am

A trip to some of the petroglyphs outside Bishop is well worth it. Drive north on 6 cross west on Chidago Canyon Road, to the Red Canyon petroglyphs, then take Fish Slough Road south back to Bishop. You pass the Chidago Canyon petroglyphs directly east of the road and when you get to Fish Slough there is another set on the west side. All are fascinating, especially the last two I mentioned.

John
John Harper

Postby DarkShadow » March 17th, 2022, 10:59 am

John Harper wrote:A trip to some of the petroglyphs outside Bishop is well worth it. Drive north on 6 cross west on Chidago Canyon Road, to the Red Canyon petroglyphs, then take Fish Slough Road south back to Bishop. You pass the Chidago Canyon petroglyphs directly east of the road and when you get to Fish Slough there is another set on the west side. All are fascinating, especially the last two I mentioned.

John

Or you can try to locate Sky Rock and 13 Moons! That's always an adventure in and of itself, plus it always warrants a side trip to fish the LO!

:bananadance:
DarkShadow

Return to General Fly Fishing