REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

What is this Message Board Worth?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

What is this Message Board Worth?

Postby Bernard » January 20th, 2023, 10:03 am

I know it comes up and there's that whole thread - Is this board worth anything ... anymore?

Thought it'd be good to express the following: Well, like other message boards; some that are now defunct like the Kern board(s), I feel that they have a great value as a repository of potentially useful data. This came up recently when discussing a parasite with two biologists from different agencies. This critter stresses California Trout (including those in So Cal). You see, years ago, on this very board, a post was made illustrating these parasites from a Ventura County stream. You know, the one that starts with an M.

Here's more about the parasite:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/metacercariae

Here's an assessment/paper focused on the Eel in Nor Cal:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10641-017-0599-9

This "data" albeit informal. Is valuable.
So, in the end, sharing reports isn't half bad - I never thought I'd say that!

B.
Bernard

Re: What is this Message Board Worth?

Postby WanderingBlues » January 20th, 2023, 11:37 am

The board is worth what the members are willing to provide to it. For me, it’s been priceless just on the friendships alone.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Bernard » January 20th, 2023, 11:59 am

WanderingBlues wrote:The board is worth what the members are willing to provide to it. For me, it’s been priceless just on the friendships alone.

That too!
Bernard

Postby RichardCullip » January 21st, 2023, 10:03 am

For me, the real value is in the fly fishing friends I made over the years
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby FIGHTONSC » January 21st, 2023, 10:16 am

Like what Curtis and Richard both opined….it’s the friendships that have blossomed over time from being active on the fly fishing forums.

Tight lines to times ahead,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby 1mocast » January 22nd, 2023, 4:27 pm

All of the above and finding like minded fellow FF to enjoy our hobby together. I have been AWOL in my fishing the last couple of years due to drought, work and health issues.

These posts here have put a smile on my face! So there is value to the Addicts site.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby clee » January 22nd, 2023, 6:03 pm

I'd say it's worth quite a lot. I've become friends with many here on this board. Without it I'd never been able to return to fishing at Canyon Lake thanks to Luc. Without it I would have never had some spectacular duck hunts with Jeff at his club. Without it I would have been fishing blind in the Southwest (New Mexico, Lower Colorado specifically) without the Curtis input who also took me to one of his favorite small stream jaunts. That doesn't include those I've yet to meet personally but have interacted with via DM or through a post.

Personally I'd like to see the FFA facebook page shut down and have everyone interested just migrate back here but I wonder if that will ever happen.
clee

Postby lucfish » January 24th, 2023, 6:36 pm

I’ve always enjoyed this board. The friendships are irreplaceable.
lucfish

Postby Papasequoia » January 26th, 2023, 1:39 pm

We were all incredibly lucky to 'come of age' as it were when there were forums like this to really get to know one another - first through posts and often, later, through personal interaction. Many (most?) internet forums like this are dying out and it is a sad thing to witness. I've probably made more friends here (and a couple of others) than in my whole life. Well, those drug and alcohol fueled years of the 70's and 80's might have had more, but I don't really remember and they didn't last anyway. :-D
Thanks to Jim for keeping this going and I hope to never lose touch with all of you. I am happy to report that our new PNW home is near a volcano (Mt. Baker) and once things settle down a bit more I'm looking forward to hosting as many of you as can make it up here. Happy New Year! Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Wildman » January 31st, 2023, 11:04 am

I feel very guilty that I have not been more active. After the Kern board died suddenly and just disappeared without warning and thousands of posts and pictures were just gone, I reached out when this board was going to, perhaps, suffer the same fate. I used to enjoy creating posts with lots of pictures and words to share the amazing times I have had with so many here.

Like so many, I came to fly fishing late. For the first two years, I didn't catch a fish. I finally reached out to folks who were posting pictures with fish and asked if I could fish with them. Stanbery-Midger-Zee-Rockstar-Alan Bell-Mark Allen-Chiaki-Luc and many, many others mentored me patiently and I learned.

I have faced many challenges in my life but none were more life changing then the accident that took my wife, Chris, on that July evening in 2019. Fly fishing gave me some welcome respites of peace when on the water. Since then, I sold everything and moved with eight horses and two dogs to an amazing farming town in Idaho in the middle of Covid.

This is my third Winter. It's -12 outside. I've met some amazing people and hosted a few of you here at Grateful Heart Ranch. I have a ditch with trout in it on one property line and am 4 minutes from the Big Wood River. Silver Creek is 15 minutes away. I am finally caught up enough to start doing more fishing and do so trip reports.

Without Jon's technical support, I am at a loss when it comes time to do tech repairs. Craig Coston poked around this last time and we think we solved the problem with members being "banned".

Going forward, I hope that the forum doesn't die. It's strength was/is it's members. It still is. I will try and continue to create some posts from pictures I've taken since I've been here. I hope you do as well.

Also-I have 30 amp hook ups and water here at the house. I have two bedrooms with baths upstairs. You are always welcome to stay an hour or a week. Be happy to show you some water. We have everything from freestones to spring creeks and even still water within minutes.

Jim
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Return to General Fly Fishing