REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Pack Mules Anyone?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Pack Mules Anyone?

Postby DubL HauL » November 5th, 2008, 8:25 pm

me

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby Benny » November 5th, 2008, 8:47 pm

Andy, We need to set a date for next year and see if any of the other guys might show some intrest.
Benny

Postby RSetina » November 5th, 2008, 9:10 pm

castaway wrote:Anyone know the price per person for a drop off trip?

Is it 265 a day per person - does that mean fo ra dropoff/pickup

trip it would be renting them for 2 days regardless of how long I stayed?

I am not sure the site is clear - have been looking at that for awhile.

They may be busy next year :lol: .

When I looked into a pack trip I was told that the quoted cost was per day. In other words, if you take a trip and it takes two days to go in and two days out, you pay for four days. At this price it would cost $1060. That's if the cost includes the horse handler and the horse. The quote I was given had both a price for the horse and the handler. That way if you needed two horses the price went up. I don't remember if this link was to the same pack company. I can't remember the name.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby Benny » November 6th, 2008, 1:08 pm

It's 8 hours by horse to the Kern Lakes. I'm quite sure I would want off that horse after a few hours in the saddle :?
Benny

Postby Rob909 » November 6th, 2008, 2:54 pm

Ok guys, here’s the deal…..

Just for a wrangler to take you in and drop you off this is how it works…..

The cost of the wrangler (horse included) is $165 a day.
The cost of a horse for each individual is $95 a day.

So if I was going alone on a 4 day trip it would cost me $165 (x2) and $95 (x2). One fee in and one fee out.

Now here are the variables…..

If you want to live in luxury (which most of us do), you simply pay for an additional horse to haul in your ice chests of food and your beer. 150 lbs. max per horse.

The cutoff for a single day trip or a 2 day trip is Grasshopper Flats. So beyond Grasshopper it becomes a 2 day trip which means $165 (x4) and $95 (x4). 2 days in and 2 days out.

So basically you just have to decide how far you want to go which will determine how many days you pay for the wrangler and horses, and how many pack horses you will need.

It’s just a daily fee that depends on the distance you want to go, and how much stuff you want to take which will determine how many pack horses you need.

I called the guy there this morning to have it all explained to me :)

Rob
Rob909

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing