REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Handling Thoughts II

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Handling Thoughts II

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » April 9th, 2009, 11:52 pm

I like your approach on this Dr., I can't think of any recent pix that have irked me, (I've been really busy so I don't remember) but it's always good to remind us, plus it keeps us from getting too fussy with each other ;)

I need to hit the water, 3 months no fishing, 2 hours one afternoon doesn't count, is just not right for me.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby hyde_guide » April 10th, 2009, 9:14 am

Dr. Creek, You mention feeling akward having to remind folks on proper catch and release techniques. I appreciate the fact that you have spoken up to remind all of us. Way to go, and thank you! It is a little frustrating to see pics of fish laying on rocks with a fly rod next to them for scale. A fish being raised two feet out of water and a death grip on the fish so as not to squirm away just as the photo is being snapped.

As a guide I have added responsibility of getting the photo of a client with the fish of a lifetime and yet preserve the fishery that puts food on the table and makes my car payment. I have to explain missed photo ops to the client that the fish fought a tough fight and needed a post haste release. I practice recovery of the fish, lift the fish half out of water and snap a quick one with a polarized lens. The client is more than understanding that sometimes they just cant be in the shot.

A true fly angler understands its our skilled actions or just dumb luck that we were able to fool something so wild to take such a crude offering. Fish should never be punished for acting on instinct. Once again good job Creek!
if it aint chrome its lame.
hyde_guide

Postby NorcalBob » April 10th, 2009, 10:12 am

Excellent article and very valid points that we all should take notice of. However, I do take umbrage with one of your key points: don't grasp a fish with a towel. A DRY towel can be very damaging to a fish and is about one of the worst methods to safely handle a fish. However a WET towel is how most fish biologists are trained to handle fish. Just make sure it's sopping wet and you're fine, and this is a preferred method for handling larger fish, grasping them firmly by the tail. For those of you that want a pic of your fish lying on the ground next to your prized fly rod, stuff a towel in your vest and dump in the stream to get wet, then place the fish on the sopping wet towel with your rod next to it. Much better than laying the fish down on rocks, grass, sand, etc. Of course it's best to not remove the fish from water for pics, but I doubt that that reality will ever happen! IMNSHO, it's better to illustrate ways to take pics somewhat safely, than to preach not take pics at all.
NorcalBob

Postby flybob » April 11th, 2009, 12:06 pm

Hey Mike, nothing wrong with a little annual "Refresher Training"!

On my last trip up north, I was actually approached by a Ranger, to check to see if my fly was DE-Barbed!
IT WAS! But for one micro-second, I panicked........
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby anacrime » April 11th, 2009, 6:59 pm

NorcalBob wrote:Excellent article and very valid points that we all should take notice of. However, I do take umbrage with one of your key points: don't grasp a fish with a towel. A DRY towel can be very damaging to a fish and is about one of the worst methods to safely handle a fish. However a WET towel is how most fish biologists are trained to handle fish. Just make sure it's sopping wet and you're fine, and this is a preferred method for handling larger fish, grasping them firmly by the tail. For those of you that want a pic of your fish lying on the ground next to your prized fly rod, stuff a towel in your vest and dump in the stream to get wet, then place the fish on the sopping wet towel with your rod next to it. Much better than laying the fish down on rocks, grass, sand, etc. Of course it's best to not remove the fish from water for pics, but I doubt that that reality will ever happen! IMNSHO, it's better to illustrate ways to take pics somewhat safely, than to preach not take pics at all.

fish biologist or not, the wet towel is going to rub off more slime than a wet hand. it's a matter of friction. also, fly fishers typically aren't acting fish biologists. we aren't collecting scientific data that will (hopefully) be used to gather fisheries data. imo using a wet towel just for the purpose of hook removal or photo is a bit irresponsible and unnecessary.

i've sorta gotten into it with a few guys down here. all the shops sell large holed rope nets that tear the fins of the fish. even in the "how to properly catch and release" booklet they have available at all sporting goods shops they show a pic of a netted trout, lying on the rail of a boat, with its caudal fin being split by the net. it's quite ridiculous. i had to search a half dozen shops before i found a small holed net. and none of them sell the rubber holed nets, which are the best hands down.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby NorcalBob » April 11th, 2009, 7:58 pm

Shane, You missed the most important words which were "this is a preferred method for handling larger fish, grasping them firmly by the tail". A large fish trying to be held with only wet hands will likely thrash wildly and suffer internal damage when you drop it or it whacks it head on a rock. And for the lying the fish on the ground shots (which I don't advocate, but you're not going to stop people from doing it, after all look how many posts we see on the forums doing this) I'd much rather see the fish lying on a soaking wet towel than bare ground, rock, or sand. As usual, YMMV.
NorcalBob

Postby castaway » April 11th, 2009, 8:31 pm

In order to get a picture of "the big one"

there is really only one "ok" method.

get in the river - while your giving the fish the necessary CPR (push and pulling him back and forth) -- stop for a second... with wet hands lift the fish out of the water for a few seonds (the lower the better I would imagine).. while your buddy snaps a picture....(make sure he gets in postion and gets the camera ready while your reviving the fish) then go back to CPR... you could probably continue this process a few times to get 2 or 3 pictures (but 1 is best)...

revive... lift....revive...lift...

The idea of using a rubber net makes sense... slick and will nto rub off slime and scales.

Someone needs to invent "slime in a bottle" just spray on the net and the fish is ensured to have a coating of slime on him when your (including me) done molesting him..

when I am alone I usually net the fish - and place the net in a few inches of water, or reach around and grap him by the outside of the net... snap the picture and release.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby strohble » April 12th, 2009, 10:10 am

Good thinkin' Doc, everyone should brush up on the bascis from time to time.
There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. –Steven Wright

Read more: http://www.gofishn.com/gofishn/7005-gre ... z2I9yew2Iw
Follow us: GoFISHn on Facebook
strohble

Postby tobysmom » April 12th, 2009, 10:29 am

That is a really good article ... Thanks for the reminder Dr.
tobysmom

Postby super dry fly » April 13th, 2009, 8:02 am

Good article Mike - thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention.

And Shane, you couldn't be more right about those large-holed, knotted nets - they are absolute fish killers, a split fin is an infection (and likely mortality) waiting to happen.
"What you call a disease - I call a remedy. What you call the cause - I call the cure."

-the Bosstones
super dry fly

Postby Sasha » June 30th, 2009, 5:31 pm

Time to bump this thread.
Sasha

Postby Wildman » June 30th, 2009, 6:22 pm

Not sure which is more irritating....the obvious dry hand shot of some pretty ordinary fish or the shot with the fish flopped on the dry grass bank with leaves and dirt next to the rod. Do folks do that to reassure us that they use fly rods?

The ones I like the best are the ones with the fish still in the rubber net submerged in water or better still taken underwater just before releasing at the hook. Some of our folks are masters at using the waterproof cameras for dramatic and effective water shots.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Sasha » June 30th, 2009, 7:20 pm

I know from time to time we have all been guilty of less than perfect handling methods. The original intent of this thread was just a friendly reminder to all of us.

Oh and snow is also not the best thing to put a fish on either. Unless you are keeping it cold for dinner ;)
Sasha

Postby briansII » June 30th, 2009, 8:36 pm

Thanks for the bump. I hope members read this again......I wonder how many don't bother to read this at all? We could all use the reminder. Recently, I too have seen some pictures that were.....we'll, I thought the fish could've been handled better. To show i'm not above it all, here's one that could've been handled better.

I thought I had wet my hands well, but not all of my hand was wet. :oops: And not to be a C&R nanny, or harp on it too much, but some pictures just stand out. Tough to ignore those.

How to handle this subject. Friendly PM? Blast them! Try your best to let it slide. Continue to remind folks by posting subjects on handling. Drink your concerns away. :rockon: ;) But really, what, if anything, would reach folks.

briansII
briansII

Postby midger » June 30th, 2009, 10:47 pm

briansII wrote:
How to handle this subject. Friendly PM? Blast them! Try your best to let it slide. Continue to remind folks by posting subjects on handling. Drink your concerns away. :rockon: ;) But really, what, if anything, would reach folks.

briansII

Uh, I'd say we either draw and quarter them or give them an enema with a fire hydrant. Both have been known to successfully rehab fish maulers, fish mud draggers, and fish squeezers. ;) :lol:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing