REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fishing tales

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fishing tales

Postby Papasequoia » April 13th, 2009, 9:34 am

I've been wondering a lot lately about fishing stories. I remember the stuff I used to read growing up (1960's and 70's) from magazines like Field and Stream; great articles that kept you turning the page, even if there was only one or two pictures. People seem to read less these days, and what they read needs to be in short 'sound bites.' Most (me included) would put the blame on cable and satellite TV, the internet, video games, etc. When it comes to fishing, I think that internet forums in general have made people less patient to sit down and read a good story and more inclined to want fish * with as little text as possible. "Smileys" like this one tell the whole tale:

Anyways, I'm just rambling/ranting I guess. Strange how things coincide sometimes, while I have been thinking about this lately, Midcurrent featured an article on this very topic. http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20090412/COLUMNISTS02/904120319 Just something to think about, I guess. For anyone that has read this far anyway. ;) :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: Fishing tales

Postby Gary C. » April 13th, 2009, 10:43 am

I always love the Comedy/Satire stories on the last page of out outdoor mags.
Gary C.

Postby Benny » April 13th, 2009, 11:01 am

You know the truth is for me anyhow, there are some writers who can't hold my attention, the stories turn boring or just lack a certain something. Then there are writers who grab and hold my attention with great stories, and sometimes it feels like I'm along for the adventures. Sure I enjoy viewing beautiful photos, but I also love to read about someone's great adventures as well.

Some people have the gift and are very imaginative or descriptive and they are able to put it down in words, they can grab you and keep you reading from start to finish, sorry but not everyone can hold the readers attention with great stories. There are some who can write and write for miles, but can't hold my attention for more than a few paragraphs :oops: I guess that's like people who talk and talk and don't know when to STFU

Then again I may have A.D.D..... or I'm full of crap :roll:
Benny

Postby briansII » April 13th, 2009, 11:20 am

wildfly wrote:
Benny wrote:Then again I may have A.D.D..... or I'm full of crap :roll:

I have both of those issues :bananadance:

.......can we start a support group. :grouphug:

briansII
briansII

Postby rayfound » April 13th, 2009, 11:31 am

i Love it all, the stories, the pictures, all of it. I am rapidly consuming everything trout and fly fishing related I see. The more the better!

One thing I do think we could ALL do a better job at, is describing more in detail the techniques used, what the conditions were for fishing, what worked, what didn't, and all of that type of information that can help us all become more talented fly fishers.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby planettrout » April 14th, 2009, 8:00 am

Good topic Papa!!!

I ended my evening by perusing Ray Bergman's "Trout" yesterday. He had a way with words that put the reader right next to him on the stream. I also love the plates of the old wet patterns that are included in that book...

PT/TB :funnyup:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby strohble » April 14th, 2009, 10:55 am

Just an idea here but maybe we should have a friendly writing competition. Like maybe a short story or narrative, fact or fiction, submitted by those who feel they've got the writng bug. Just a thought.
There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. –Steven Wright

Read more: http://www.gofishn.com/gofishn/7005-gre ... z2I9yew2Iw
Follow us: GoFISHn on Facebook
strohble

Postby planettrout » April 14th, 2009, 12:50 pm

Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby WatchinTheWater » April 16th, 2009, 10:07 am

You guys hammered that presentation like an October Caddis. Do you know you've just been duped into a writing contest with a language professor? Papa you've got to quit fishing behind the stock truck!

Actually I love most any way I can gain information or be entertained weather it be through true stories, fiction, photos, films or live presentations. Some of my favorite presentations have been around a camp fire.
WatchinTheWater

Postby Papasequoia » April 16th, 2009, 5:13 pm

WatchinTheWater wrote:Some of my favorite presentations have been around a camp fire.

And anyone who has been camping with you knows who would win that kind of a contest, my friend. ;) Speaking of which, opening season is right around the corner, isn't it about time for you to leave CO and head back here to CA? The fish are too big out there, they'll snap your 00 rod in a second! :lol: Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby 1mocast » April 16th, 2009, 10:32 pm

WatchinTheWater wrote:Do you know you've just been duped into a writing contest with a language professor?

Ay! :lol:
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Return to General Fly Fishing