REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Good read

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Good read

Postby castaway » April 14th, 2009, 5:09 am

2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Re: Good read

Postby fshflys » April 14th, 2009, 6:09 am

Very much so, I have switched from tying off the bend to tying 4 " tags & have greatly increased my success. Also started using the orvis knot he has a link to instead of double surgeon.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby castaway » April 14th, 2009, 6:38 am

I will have to try the tag end method...

Also, I use the tripple surgeon knot when using a multi nymph set up... I have lost a few from the knot failing.. and this might explain why. I am using the wrong tag.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby Benny » April 14th, 2009, 7:27 am

fshflys wrote:I have switched from tying off the bend to tying 4 " tags & have greatly increased my success.

Interesting.... I found that my success went down when I used the tag end method. My tag ends were longer than 4 inches though, about 8-12 inches. For the most part I just stick to tying my dropper off the hook shank.
Benny

Postby Danny McB » April 14th, 2009, 8:24 am

This is what I'm going to Tie/Try next: The Hoppicator

Article:
http://www.flyfishinglifemag.com/Vol01N ... Hatch.html

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkrnqcxNSMw

Sorry if this has been posted recently

Danny
Danny McB

Postby Benny » April 14th, 2009, 8:46 am

Danny McB wrote:This is what I'm going to Tie/Try next: The Hoppicator

Article:
http://www.flyfishinglifemag.com/Vol01N ... Hatch.html

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkrnqcxNSMw

Sorry if this has been posted recently

Danny

I haven't seen any of the links before, thanks for posting. Those two nymphs Mikey Weir is using look real nice.
Benny

Postby darrin terry » April 14th, 2009, 9:31 am

I've been playing with the Hoppicator for a while now. The issue for me creating a hopper style fly that is boyant enough. I'd not seen the one Mikey Weir uses in the video for sale anywhere. That article you linked is the first time I've seen it in detail in a photo. Thanks Danny.

I thought I'd posted about the Hoppicator a while back, but though I had linked to the video, it was the carmel caddis I mentioned in the posts. While I am thinking about it, that carmel caddis he uses is an easy pattern to tie, although mine looks a little different, and has worked very well for me locally and on the Owens.

Thanks again for the link, Danny. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Benny » April 14th, 2009, 9:53 am

Hey Darrin, yeah I'm a * :oops:
Benny

Postby darrin terry » April 14th, 2009, 10:11 am

Cool. When I get my tying desk back (it's a rod building desk right now), I will have to try tying it again. The ones I've tried so far worked, somewhat. Trouble is getting them to sit on the water properly.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby tobysmom » April 14th, 2009, 11:03 am

I too have been using 3 or 4 tag ends and have had better success The problem with that it takes me forever to tie but the more I do it it the faster I have become. I have also tyed a hoppinater and I just added a big white form post so I could see it better. The problem I found with that was I could'nt get it to float properly. I also have found that the knotts on the tag ins have failed alot using surgeon knotts, I'll try the Orvis knott and see if it holds out any better. That was a great article though thanks for the info.
tobysmom

Postby Benny » April 14th, 2009, 11:23 am

I maybe wrong but isn't there a 3 fly limit. So my question is why would anyone need 3-4 tags. All you need is 2 tags and your main leader which is tied to your anchor :? I may be wrong though.
Benny

Postby fshflys » April 14th, 2009, 11:36 am

One of things I've noticed is that I actually catch fish on all 3 flies where as before when I tied off the bend I rarely caught fish off the 1st fly. My typical setup is #14 scud w/10 wraps of lead on my 1st tag, #18 zebra & #20 WD40 on the very end. If I'm fishing deeper or faster water I'll use #12 on a Mustad 37160 w/20 wraps of lead on the hump, fly rides upside down so it gets fewer snags, tied vladi worm or pigsticker style, or Electric Caddis, http://www.riseformstudio.tv/fly_tying_ ... addis.html
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby rayfound » April 14th, 2009, 11:45 am

Bah... more nymphing rigs huh...

Simplicity is why I like dries. I almost wish the law required single barbless like it used to, so I could never get outfished just because someone was using multiple flies!

I will try the Tag-style for tandem nymph rigs I guess....
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Benny » April 14th, 2009, 11:52 am

Darrin Terry wrote:Cool. When I get my tying desk back (it's a rod building desk right now), I will have to try tying it again. The ones I've tried so far worked, somewhat. Trouble is getting them to sit on the water properly.

I was having the same problem just now after testing it in a bowl of water. I kind of figured it was top heavy so I trimmed the foam wings just a bit and it fixed the problem. I drop the hoppinator from about 2' and it's floating flat. I just need to test it under real fly fishing condition now ;)
Benny

Postby darrin terry » April 14th, 2009, 12:24 pm

Glad to hear that, Benny. I will have to try some trimming on the few I've tied. Mine were my own attempts though, based on his idea, not his fly.

As for the tag dropper, I've been using the triple surgeons knot and the top tag method. I do not believe I've had that fail due to knot failure. I've caught a couple big trout with this system too. Trout to 23 inches anyway, both by myself and by others on nymph leaders that I tied for them.

This 23 inch, 5.5 lb trout was caught on a rig that I tied for a buddy:
And this 19 incher, 20 incher & 15 incher:
YMMV. Make of it what you will.
darrin terry

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing