REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

First Fish Of A Lifetime

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

First Fish Of A Lifetime

Postby Wildman » April 17th, 2009, 4:27 pm

Yesterday I went fishing with my 15 1/2 year old grandson, Conner. We went up the road to our neighbors pond and tried for Bluegill and Bass. Nothing out of the ordinary here....we've been fishing many times before. The difference yesterday was that Conner was fly fishing for the first time on the 7'9" fly rod I made him and made his first fly casts.

Conner took to fly fishing and soon caught 5 willing Bluegills. He soon got the hang of casting...roll casting and even caught his first fly on a backcast. He learned to strip a streamer and caught a few more on a big foam ant that had seen better days but was still very attractive to the eager little fish.

His first Bluegill came as quite a surprise to him when he felt the tug. He learned good C&R techniques....wet hands and also learned about the dorsal spines on the feisty little fish.
Pretty soon he had five to hand and a lot more missed strikes.

The fish weren't very big. The pond is just around the corner from our place. We both had an incredible time and he told me that he really liked fly fishing. "You have to think about things...it's not like throwing lures out". I couldn't have been prouder if he had just pulled a 20 inch Brown from the E. Walker.

A trip to the Bishop area is on tap and we will outfit him with the basics in addition to his rod. Looking forward to many more wonderful days with my new fishing partner.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Re: First Fish Of A Lifetime

Postby Benny » April 17th, 2009, 4:41 pm

Cool the start of another FLYFISHINGADDICT :rockon:
Benny

Postby Wildman » April 17th, 2009, 8:33 pm

Thanks, Benny. The thing that means the most to me is that Conner really appreciated the work and effort that went into his custom rod and handle, reel and rod bag that Flybob made for the setup. Nice to see someone his age taking a solid interest in something that has grown to mean so much to me.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Eric » April 17th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Congrats on getting a new fly fishing partner Jim.
Eric
Eric

Postby rayfound » April 17th, 2009, 9:23 pm

nice. that rod is like the free sample the drug dealer gives the schoolkids. way to go.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby rkfiske » April 17th, 2009, 9:29 pm

Must be a great feeling luring another family member down this dark and evil road :lol:
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby Sasha » April 17th, 2009, 10:17 pm

That is just awesome, nice going getting somebody else "hooked" :lol:
Sasha

Postby midger » April 18th, 2009, 8:13 am

Very nice, Jim. You'll have to bring the young lad with you when we hit a local.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby duckdog » April 18th, 2009, 8:30 am

that's a beautyfull thing, another penguin slips off the ice and into healthy addiction. now get him to tye a few simple flies and set the hook deep.
duckdog

Postby Wildman » April 18th, 2009, 8:32 am

Thanks everyone! Mike....I would be thrilled to have him learn from your expertise and teaching on the water. Will take you up on that.
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Chris Kuhn » April 18th, 2009, 12:11 pm

Looks like a great day and the tradition gets passed on.

Now can you get him to pull his pants up? :lol:
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby gabe » April 18th, 2009, 3:07 pm

this is what i like to see.
very nice.
I could actually C&R pans all day long and have a blast.
just love it.
gabe

Postby Wildman » April 19th, 2009, 9:14 am

We'll be trying out the pond again today....weather is warming up down here. Yeah....I still don't understand the pants thing. Drives me nuts. Nice thing is that I am sure he will grow out of it.
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby flybob » April 19th, 2009, 12:02 pm

Jim, my hat is off to you!
That young man will never forget this experience, and one day in the distant future, he will be teaching his son/sons and hopefully, Grandsons the same.

That is what I really enjoy about this sport and the people who practice it, there is so much to share and give to others......

That is a nice little pond, I am drooling here.
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Wildman » April 19th, 2009, 1:02 pm

Cool, isn't it? My son, my grandson and now my wife wants her own rod for our trip to Alaska.

I have often thought of all those folks who were virtual strangers who have helped and taught (and still do) me along the way. My wife jokes that her husband meets strange men on the internet and goes fishing with them but it's basically true. I have made some lifelong friends among the folks here in Cyberspace and continue to learn about the sport that has so many facets and ways to enjoy.

Conner was very appreciative of the lesson (with the bonus of catching fish), his new 4wt that his Grandpa made him and color coordinated fly rod bag that he sports with his rod. The bag really helps set off the whole package!

Life is good. :D
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing