REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Etiquette

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Etiquette

Postby anacrime » April 25th, 2009, 2:19 pm

etiquette, in all walks of life, isn't universal, y'all! different from country to country, state to state, river to river, person to person, and day to day. on some streams i'd consider passing another angler bad etiquette (think socal gorgey type streams) while on others it's entirely reasonable to be within 15ft, especially if you're fishing certain world famous pools. if in doubt, strike up a conversation and go from there 8-)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby 1mocast » April 25th, 2009, 3:08 pm

anacrime wrote:etiquette, in all walks of life, isn't universal, y'all! different from country to country, state to state, river to river, person to person, and day to day. on some streams i'd consider passing another angler bad etiquette (think socal gorgey type streams) while on others it's entirely reasonable to be within 15ft, especially if you're fishing certain world famous pools. if in doubt, strike up a conversation and go from there 8-)

Yep. Fishing etiquette is even different for days of week. Fishing a no-one-is-around-at-all weekday vs. hotter-than-hell-everyone-and-their-grandmother-out-picnicking-with-bait-chuckers-on-your-right-and-kids-throwing-rocks-in-the-hole-you-are-nymphing-to-on-your-left weekend. (taking a breath now) :mrgreen:
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Papasequoia » April 25th, 2009, 3:46 pm

DrCreek wrote:Can't do this anymore with you boys. I feel like we're going nowhere. Maybe someone else will step in and give it a shot. Tag - someone else is "it."

I hear Bishop Creek is nice.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby midger » April 25th, 2009, 4:00 pm

Papasequoia wrote: I hear Bishop Creek is nice.

Hotspotter!

This thread has taught me that etiquette is strictly in the eyes of the beholder and that I was wrong, so if I see any of you on our socal locals from now on, expect me to jump 100 feet ahead of you. That'll give you about 2 minutes to fish before you catch me (and I suspect :deadhorse: with me playing the part of the dead horse.)

I do agree that etiquette varies from river to river. Thank Gawd I don't have to fish the San Juan, the Red, the White, or Kenai. I can honestly say, I'd take up golf again. At least there folks give you about 300 yards--unless they want smacked with a golf ball. Come to think of it, when I palyed gold, folks weren't safe from my drives if they were anywhere within a 300 yard radius. Had a wicked slice that sometimes hooked.

Fish on folks, and rest assured, I'll still give you space, even if it means driving to another pullout or hiking that extra 1/4 mile.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Sasha » April 25th, 2009, 4:04 pm

midger wrote:

Hotspotter!

No way dude your OP was one giant hotspotting post :lol: :lol: ;) ;) ;)
Sasha

Postby Chris Kuhn » April 25th, 2009, 4:40 pm

midger wrote:

Hotspotter!

This thread has taught me that etiquette is strictly in the eyes of the beholder and that I was wrong, so if I see any of you on our socal locals from now on, expect me to jump 100 feet ahead of you. That'll give you about 2 minutes to fish before you catch me (and I suspect :deadhorse: with me playing the part of the dead horse.)

I do agree that etiquette varies from river to river. Thank Gawd I don't have to fish the San Juan, the Red, the White, or Kenai. I can honestly say, I'd take up golf again. At least there folks give you about 300 yards--unless they want smacked with a golf ball. Come to think of it, when I palyed gold, folks weren't safe from my drives if they were anywhere within a 300 yard radius. Had a wicked slice that sometimes hooked.

Fish on folks, and rest assured, I'll still give you space, even if it means driving to another pullout or hiking that extra 1/4 mile.

There are some other rivers to strike off your list, The Delaware, The Frying Pan, The Farmington, The Housatonic, The Beaverkill and any river in New Jersey.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby midger » April 25th, 2009, 8:01 pm

Chris Kuhn wrote:
midger wrote:

Hotspotter!

There are some other rivers to strike off your list, The Delaware, The Frying Pan, The Farmington, The Housatonic, The Beaverkill and any river in New Jersey.

Fortunately none of those are on my must fish list. Come to think of it, there are no rivers on the East Coast on that list. ;)
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Nav » April 26th, 2009, 8:17 am

Papasequoia wrote:
DrCreek wrote:Can't do this anymore with you boys. I feel like we're going nowhere. Maybe someone else will step in and give it a shot. Tag - someone else is "it."

I hear Bishop Creek is nice.

Jon, is this a reference to some kind of " A CLOCK WORK ORANGE " ala Kuberic , fly fishing style you have discovered ? :roll: :roll: :roll:

and Chris............like on the river, From the Stones, or this conversation, you can't always get what you want.
Nav

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing