REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The best of times...the worst of times

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

The best of times...the worst of times

Postby Papasequoia » April 22nd, 2009, 8:10 pm

Gray's Sporting Journal has some excellent articles in this issue for those who like to read. I just finished this one which does a particularly good job of looking at the positives and the negatives in fly fishing, now and the way it used to be. Many items are things that we have all discussed at one time or another, but this article really does a great job of bringing them all together and looking at fly fishing today as the best and worst of times.

http://grayssportingjournal.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=786&Itemid=78

While you are there, don't miss the excellent lead article, "Long After the Sons Go Missing." Click on articles then features to find it. Some great hunting articles here as well. Gray's hasn't been around as long as some of the other magazines, but they sure preserve the style of writing of the old days. I'll never forget the first time I read one of Hemingway's Nick Adams stories in an issue of Field and Stream or Outdoor Life when I was a young boy and was floored by the writing. I was reminded of how good outdoors-oriented writing can be while reading this issue. Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Return to General Fly Fishing