REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fly Fishing Basics

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fly Fishing Basics

Postby briansII » April 24th, 2009, 3:35 pm

Some basics on how to catch fish on a fly rod. Instead of trying to describe techniques, I think it's easier to show you a few clips.

and this..........

I think this shows we are not all elitist, dry fly fishermen, and that we don't mind using other techniques. :? The vids clearly show the range of flies and casting techniques used for fly fishing for salmon. Mr. Eh, and Mr. Whol looked to be veterans of the sport.

briansII
:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
PS Craig, feel free to move this if it doesn't fall into the family entertainment category
briansII

Re: Fly Fishing Basics

Postby midger » April 24th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Hey, I had an uncle that fished like that first guy. When a weighted treble didn't work, he used blasting caps in a weighted pill container to get it down before it went off. Very effective at decimating a hole--oh, and the fine and loss of license when he was ultimately caught was large--even by early 1960s standards.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby 209er » April 24th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Those videos are udderly disgusting and embarrassing to us 'normal' fly fishers. They should be shot! :gun: along with all the other squids! 209er
209er

Postby fflutterffly » April 25th, 2009, 5:04 am

I believe in ethical hunting in all sport. This reminds me of hunters who, with rifle, can stand at the edge of a valley, site down the barrel of a high powered rifle and shoot an animal 300 yards away. Where is the ethics in dragging a triple hook that is weighted through a pod of fish till you foul hook and call that skill? IMHO
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby fly addict » April 25th, 2009, 8:21 am

209er wrote:Those videos are udderly disgusting and embarrassing to us 'normal' fly fishers. They should be shot! :gun: along with all the other squids! 209er

Dittos! :gun:
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Rob909 » April 25th, 2009, 4:59 pm

fflutterffly wrote:I believe in ethical hunting in all sport. This reminds me of hunters who, with rifle, can stand at the edge of a valley, site down the barrel of a high powered rifle and shoot an animal 300 yards away.

I'm not sure I understand the analogy :? :? :? .

Would a 300 yard shot with a high powered rifle be unethical????

I would call that a skilled marksman.

Just my $.02.

Rob
Rob909

Postby anacrime » April 25th, 2009, 5:11 pm

skilled marksman perhaps, but not a hunter 8-)

i think that's what she's referring to. not much sport in either technique
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby midger » April 25th, 2009, 7:58 pm

anacrime wrote:skilled marksman perhaps, but not a hunter 8-)

i think that's what she's referring to. not much sport in either technique

No less sporting than fishing over redds or where stocking trucks dump their loads, both of which I have witnessed in the past. A 300 yard shot is not that common and therefore, takes a lot of skill to make a clean kill.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » April 25th, 2009, 9:00 pm

fflutterffly wrote:I believe in ethical hunting in all sport. This reminds me of hunters who, with rifle, can stand at the edge of a valley, site down the barrel of a high powered rifle and shoot an animal 300 yards away. Where is the ethics in dragging a triple hook that is weighted through a pod of fish till you foul hook and call that skill? IMHO

I think unless you are using a long bow, wooden arrows, and feather fletching, archery is not sportsman like. I personally run down game, jump on their back and bite the jugular till their dead. :rockon: :rockon:

briansII ;) ;) ;)
briansII

Postby DSFlyman » April 25th, 2009, 10:31 pm

I must be daft. You're telling me both those guys were just trying to strip quickly in the hopes of foul hooking something. I thought they were just typical of people who spent all their money on gear and never took the time to hire a guide or learn how to cast./fish.

Uhh, I just watched it again - I see - I don't get it. I really don't get it. * is the point?
DSFlyman

Return to General Fly Fishing