REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Trip Meals

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Trip Meals

Postby gabe » April 26th, 2009, 2:54 pm

So what are all your fishing trip meals?
car-camping, on the road, stream side, etc...
gabe

Re: Trip Meals

Postby gabe » April 26th, 2009, 3:00 pm

I actually like the Mountain House meals, especially the Chili Mac and the Beef Stroganoff.
I also try to freeze some steaks for a trip, nothing like a nice T-Bone and a Beer after a day out on the water.
A favorite of Me and my girlfriend is Salami Spaghetti. Fry up some Salami for a bit, add Marinara and your choice of pasta, oh what a treat.
Bush Chili and Dogs, and pork beans. oh your significant other sure won't appreciate it later in the tent. ha!
Always easy fast and simple, canned ravioli.
Deserts we usually have something simple, canned fruits, roasted marshmallows, etc.

I'll try to recall more and add it later.
gabe

Postby Chris Kuhn » April 26th, 2009, 3:38 pm

My best fishing buddy uses fishing trips as an excuse to eat all the crap his wife will not let him eat the rest of the year. So we have scrapple, red meat (usually a steak so huge The Pinnacle Peak would be embarrassed to serve it.), hot dogs and one salad. Oh and a giant tub of Cheetos.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby anacrime » April 26th, 2009, 3:56 pm

when on the road i eat pb/j 2-3 times a day. occasionally i'll splurge and grab a bottle of wine and some brie and crackers. the ultimate fishing/hiking snack:

i'm bringing a few boxes back with me. perfect food!
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby meb » April 26th, 2009, 4:10 pm

I can survive most fishing trips with cereal in the morning plus coffee, protein bars during the day, and beer and chips or beer and crackers with peanut butter in the evening. I'll eat at a restaurant sometimes, but usually I'm tired and would rather just snack.

MB
meb

Postby midger » April 26th, 2009, 5:17 pm

If talking streamside where I drive to, I like to set up the table, and make up sandwiches using sour dough bread or bagels, sliced turkey, ham or roast beef, swiss cheese, spicy honey mustard, mayo, sprouts, etc. Good beer--preferably PapaS's home brew but if not something like Black Hart or Black Toad. If I don't have that, then a granola bar and fresh filtered water will also do. :lol:

Backpacking, I usually make up a fetticine mix that I add smoked salmon to, chased with glenfidditch scotch. I'll eat the freeze dried stuff, but I prefer to make my own concoctions. I also like beer if somebody else has packed it in. ;)
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Autodave » April 26th, 2009, 6:32 pm

That Mountain House Chili-Mac is good!...and lots of beef *.
Autodave

Postby castaway » April 26th, 2009, 6:37 pm

pre packaged/mixed Tuna (the little pouches) on a tortilla... a pole of salami, the single serve packages of crystal light, and beef *.

sometimes when I am really going for the elite feel, I will toss in a freeze dried stew, or beef stroganoff.

if out on a day hike -- water, granola bar, and salami... maybe a cold cheeseburger from Mcd's.. that I picked up on the way.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby Wildman » April 26th, 2009, 8:16 pm

Fried potatoes...sauage and gravy...cowboy boiled coffee in the morning. Fried meatloaf, fried potatoes, beans, corn and biscuits in the evening.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby RSetina » April 26th, 2009, 9:20 pm

Mountain House is our favorite. They make great desserts too. Granola bars, *, and the packets of instant drink mix. Instant oatmeal for breakfast. Lunch is usually a snack, hard boiled eggs, crackers, power bars. Anything as long as you don't have to refrigerate it.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby Papasequoia » April 26th, 2009, 9:47 pm

I like Mike's scotch after I finish my own. :D

Car-camping with a Coleman stove I will usually eat food that is bad for my health, but tasty.

Breakfast:
Coffee made with a french press
Entemann's danish (preferably raspberry)

Lunch:
If it's just me, I'm fine with a snack bar, if I'm with the family, we usually make sandwiches, either PB&J or salami and cheese. If I'm with Mike, see above!

Dinner:
1) Mac and cheese in one pot, canned corned beef hash in another, fried nice and crispy with lots of ketchup
2) Beans and hot dogs or hamburgers
3) A steak on the grill and some kind of pasta, those instant ones with flavor, or some penne with sauce
4) Anything Dave/WatchingTheWater cooks in his dutch oven :rockon:

Backpacking I believe in KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Breakfast:
Coffee in a french press mug
Oatmeal

Lunch:
Salami and cheese on a bagel
Energy bars

Dinner:
Freeze-dried whatever
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby rayfound » April 26th, 2009, 10:26 pm

Wildman wrote:Fried potatoes...sausage and gravy...cowboy boiled coffee in the morning. Fried meatloaf, fried potatoes, beans, corn and biscuits in the evening.

Please consult your physician before eating with Jim.

*, who am I kidding, it sounds like my diet.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby stanbery » April 27th, 2009, 12:57 am

rayfound wrote:
Wildman wrote:Fried potatoes...sausage and gravy...cowboy boiled coffee in the morning. Fried meatloaf, fried potatoes, beans, corn and biscuits in the evening.

Please consult your physician before eating with Jim.

*, who am I kidding, it sounds like my diet.

Ray

Jim cooks a awesome fried meatloaf.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby rayfound » April 27th, 2009, 8:01 am

stanbery wrote:Ray

Jim cooks a awesome fried meatloaf.

Jon

I'll have to plan on experiencing first hand some time. I'm sure its delicious.

As for me and my Trail food, when I am in the backcountry:

Breakfasts: Oatmeal, Cereal Bars, or Trail Mix.

Lunch: Trail Mix, Beef *, Salami, Snickers bars.

Dinner:

In the past I have carried all manner of the "just add water" grocery store products, instant rice, noodle side dishes, Mountain House Meals, etc... but this year I am planning a little different.

I received a Jet-Boil as a gift, and I'm excited to use it to lower weight/pack space and save time at dinner, so I'll go to all Mountain-House meals. I've been slowly accumulating them, and have 3 in the cupboard (2 chilli mac!).
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby briansII » April 27th, 2009, 9:21 am

I'm a fan of Mountain House too. I'll eat it even on car camping trips. One of the rice and chicken meals are usually what I choose. Instant oatmeal, * and cigars(yes it's a meal)are a staple. I take anything that is low effort, and high in calories. Beer for car camping. Irish whiskey or bourbon for pack trips........yes they're meals too. ;)

briansII
briansII

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing