REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

I saw one of these swimming in one of our local parks.

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

I saw one of these swimming in one of our local parks.

Postby Chris Kuhn » April 27th, 2009, 2:28 pm

Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Re: I saw one of these swimming in one of our local parks.

Postby darrin terry » April 27th, 2009, 2:39 pm

What is it? It's got tarpon looking features, but is certainly not a tarpon. :o :shock:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby anacrime » April 27th, 2009, 2:41 pm

are you sure?

i forget what they're called. one of those illegal exotic fish that tools like to keep and feed mice and stuff.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Chris Kuhn » April 27th, 2009, 2:43 pm

anacrime wrote:are you sure?

i forget what they're called. one of those illegal exotic fish that tools like to keep and feed mice and stuff.

From what I can tell it is an Arrow Fish. Pretty sure it is an exotic species that was dumped into the lake by some idiot.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Sasha » April 27th, 2009, 2:54 pm

It is an Osteoglossum bicirrhosum and the last time I checked they were not illegal in CA. You sure that was the fish you saw. I only ask because they are found in the Amazon and the water in CA is a bit on the cold side for them.
Sasha

Postby Chris Kuhn » April 27th, 2009, 2:58 pm

Sasha wrote:It is an Osteoglossum bicirrhosum and the last time I checked they were not illegal in CA. You sure that was the fish you saw. I only ask because they are found in the Amazon and the water in CA is a bit on the cold side for them.

You know I am not sure but the tail may have been a little different. I think it came to a point like an eel. But it did have the two feelers in the front and had the exact same shaped head. It was also much smaller about 8 or 9 inches.

The lake in question is pretty shallow and I think the coldest it gets is in the 60's.
Chris Kuhn

Postby briansII » April 27th, 2009, 2:59 pm

If it's the same fish as in the picture, it's a arawana(sp?). I see these sold at pet stores. Like you said, some clueless idiot dumped the fish in there.

<edit> I had a buddy that had one of these. I watched him feed it. It's an extremely aggressive fish, and he said it would bite him if he wasn't careful.

briansII
briansII

Postby super dry fly » April 27th, 2009, 3:02 pm

I think they are sold as Arawanas at local aquarium stores.

If that is what you saw it would probably be a hoot to hook on a fly rod since they reported to jump up to six feet in the air.
"What you call a disease - I call a remedy. What you call the cause - I call the cure."

-the Bosstones
super dry fly

Postby Chris Kuhn » April 27th, 2009, 3:07 pm

Wow that would be cool. I wonder what my chances would be of seeing him again this evening?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck2JuR7JMNg
Chris Kuhn

Postby briansII » April 27th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Chris Kuhn wrote:Wow that would be cool. I wonder what my chances would be of seeing him again this evening?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck2JuR7JMNg

If you're able to catch it, it would probably be a good idea not to release it.

That video reminds me of my buddy's fish. He tossed in a goldfish, and before the fish swam 12", the arowana slashed at it and ate it. It threw water all over the carpet. I can see why he didn't want to stick his hand in the water.

briansII
briansII

Postby gabe » April 27th, 2009, 3:23 pm

heck if you catch it, go to the nearest Chinese restaurant and see if they'd like to buy it for their aquarium. My good friend has one about 2' long worth a lot of money in the aquarium world.
are you sure you didn't see an eel though? I have seen a few eels at ponds and lakes.
hopefully it wasn't a snakehead that you saw. that would be extremely bad...
gabe

Postby rayfound » April 27th, 2009, 3:35 pm

In the lovely body of water I'm sure you found it in.... its no doubt an aquarium release. I know I would try to catch it!

$10 says if its hooked and landed by someone fishing there, its taken home and eaten, even though he has no idea what it is.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Chris Kuhn » April 27th, 2009, 4:19 pm

briansII wrote:If you're able to catch it, it would probably be a good idea not to release it.

Yeah I am really hoping there are not 2 of them.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Chris Kuhn » April 27th, 2009, 4:21 pm

rayfound wrote:In the lovely body of water I'm sure you found it in.... its no doubt an aquarium release. I know I would try to catch it!

$10 says if its hooked and landed by someone fishing there, its taken home and eaten, even though he has no idea what it is.

People look at me like I am nuts when I release fish. Apparently they want the carp harvested.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Sasha » April 27th, 2009, 4:28 pm

This is old but here is some more info on the them for you guys.

http://www.ctsa.org/upload/publication/ ... 460333.pdf
Sasha

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing