REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Equipment poll/Questions

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Equipment poll/Questions

Postby fflutterffly » April 27th, 2009, 2:54 pm

I have a 764 Sage ZXL with a ClickIII reel, using Rio Grand 4wt line. Now my question is this: What do you think is the best roll casting line and why?
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Re: Equipment poll/Questions

Postby briansII » April 27th, 2009, 4:00 pm

fflutterffly wrote:I have a 764 Sage ZXL with a ClickIII reel, using Rio Grand 4wt line. Now my question is this: What do you think is the best roll casting line and why?

I had a Rio Grand on my 5wt. I thought it roll cast really well. I now have a Rio Gold on it, and it roll casts very nicely too......but differently.

IMHO. Traditionally, double tapered lines were said to be best for roll casting. The thicker portion of the line makes roll casting much easier. Now, I think many of the long bellied, weight forward lines will roll cast just as nicely as the DT lines. WF nymph, steelhead, and distance tapers, just to name a few. Back to the Rio Grand. It's considered a standard WF taper, 1/2 heavier than the rating on the box. As long as you don't roll cast the entire length of the belly/taper, it should roll cast well. If you can roll cast more than that, the thin running line behind the belly is much harder to roll cast once it reaches the tip top guide.

I know you didn't ask this, but a 7 1/2 foot rod is not going to roll cast as well as a 9 footer.....well, for us normal folk anyway. :oops:

briansII
briansII

Postby castaway » April 27th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Spey line!

spey casting is roll casting... but not sure if you want your rod to only be able to roll cast (although, you will roll cast fartehr then you ever have before).

I own a ZXL as well - and I love it! its not as fast or stiff as some of the other Sage models. when you get a lot of line in the air, it really shines, and flexes deep with lots of power.

I cant really roll cast well with mine, but not sure if its me or the rod. I do roll cast better with my slow action fiberglass rod.
I have Rio gold on my ZXL ( I think - its the two colored rio line - yellow and green) and the Rio nymph line on my fiberglass both WF.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby RichardCullip » April 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm

The Wulff Triangular taper line has the reputation as being an awesome roll casting line. The triangular taper has a progression of thinner to thicker line along a large length. Theoretically that's the best design for roll casting - you always have heavier line lifting and pushing the lighter line in front of it. I say in theory since I've only read about the design parameters and have never cast a triangular tapered line.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby castaway » April 27th, 2009, 7:00 pm

I own the wulff triangle tapper lines for a 3wt and my 2wt...

yes, it is a long casting line, great roll casting (not that I do much with the 2wt - but some with the 3wt)... but, it does not float as well as Rio lines.. I guess its a trade off.

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby midger » April 27th, 2009, 7:24 pm

I really wouldn't think of a 7'6" ZXL (slt replacement) as a roll casting rod due to it's length and moderate action, but I'd use a Double taper line on it to get the most out of it if I were going to roll cast with it. I have a 8'9" slt that is a dream to dry fly fish with, but with its softer action, i rarely attempt roll casts with it. Like Brian II said, a longer rod will roll cast better, and I use a 9-10 footer when roll casting.

castaway: Does the rio gold have a loop built in and come in a two tone color always? I have a line loaded on a new ross evolution 0 that I picked up with a lot of other stuff through an estate buy and was trying to figure out what kind of line it was. Don't even know its weight rating so have to throw it on a scale tonight to find out. I do know its a floating line. ;)
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby castaway » April 27th, 2009, 7:58 pm

The Rio gold that I have is two tone - pretty sure all the Rio Gold lines are two tone, with the welded loop.

I really like it - more so then the triangle taper I have on my light wt. rods.

castaway

Postby midger » April 27th, 2009, 8:00 pm

Thanks. Just weighed the line on the ross--it weighs 105 grains for the first 30 feet making it a 3 weight. You can never have too many of that weight, so I'll give it a try next time I go fishing and see how I like it. I'll even try to roll cast with it.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Return to General Fly Fishing