REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

WHAT IS IT ?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

WHAT IS IT ?

Postby tobysmom » May 3rd, 2009, 10:03 am

Hi All......... I have a quick question maybe someone could answer for me. I was fishing a creek near Bishop this weekendend and was turning over a few rocks and found a mayfly nymph . It was a very dark gray color. I have been looking in all my books and articles trying to find out what it was. So my question is was it a BWO or PMD and what is the difference ? Sorry I don't have pictures . Thanks
tobysmom

Re: WHAT IS IT ?

Postby 209er » May 3rd, 2009, 10:38 am

Hello tobysmom,
Both baetis and inermis are benign appearing nymphs with the latter being a shade lighter and both in sizes 14 to 20 and baetis in 22. Actually, it could be anything depending on which instar the nymph was at when found. Clear as mud, ay?
I fish a river in Montana just as the pmds are disappearing and are being replaced with a 22 clone and the beginning of the infamous trico hatch. I just throw 'em a spent caddis and the trout relish 'em. 209er
209er

Postby tobysmom » May 3rd, 2009, 11:44 am

Hi 209er. I found it in medium to fast flowing water . I could not find a picture that matches the color anywhere.
tobysmom

Postby 209er » May 3rd, 2009, 6:47 pm

You're not giving us any clues. Was he flat and fragile with a big head and was quick? Or did he appear like a dinosaur with spiney legs and was slow? Or did he look just like a pheasant tail nymph? I'm not good at this guessing game. How big? It's color is irrelevant, it may have just molted. Two or three tails? Gills on the abdomen? Help me. Most likely it's baetis. 209er
209er

Postby midger » May 3rd, 2009, 7:16 pm

I agree with 209. Not much to go on without a picture, and he's right--color isn't all that big a deal. I'd go onto this site and search for the one you think you saw, but without a picture to go by and compare it to..............well, good luck.

http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/4/Insect-Ephemeroptera-Mayflies

Here's another good site:

http://www.westfly.com/entomology/entomology.shtml
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby planettrout » May 4th, 2009, 8:48 am

Tobysmom,

This book is one of the BEST investments that can be made for Mayfly identification...

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/book ... eview.aspx

I go to it and Troutnut's site when I am in doubt...grey nymph on an internet search is fruitless...heh,heh

PT/TB :deadhorse:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby tobysmom » May 4th, 2009, 9:45 am

Hi All. Thanks for the input . I finally found my book (HATCH GUIDE FOR WESTERN STREAMS ) It was a clinger of some type, flat body ,big head . My question then is If color doesn't matter than how do you tell the difference between nymphs.
tobysmom

Postby 209er » May 4th, 2009, 10:19 am

Probably most id's are wrong anyway, they're just a guess on size, color, actions. SIZE. That's what I would focus on. COLOR. They're all more or less brown or black. I'm colorblind. If the label on my dubbing packs disappear, I'm screwed. ACTION. Whether it's a crawler, clinger, burrower, or swimmer. 209er
209er

Postby Papasequoia » May 4th, 2009, 6:22 pm

tobysmom wrote:My question then is If color doesn't matter than how do you tell the difference between nymphs.

You have to lift up those leg/fin type things veeeeeeeeeeeeery carefully and then look closely. :geek:

209er, glad to see I'm not the only one with colorblind problems. I just rearranged and cleaned up my flyboxes again. Left to right, copper copper johns, red copper johns, green copper johns, black copper johns, pink copper johns. Now repeat with kern emergers, tiger and zebra midges, etc. Tiresome, but effective if I can remember the order.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Rollincast » May 4th, 2009, 6:54 pm

209er wrote:Probably most id's are wrong anyway, they're just a guess on size, color, actions. SIZE. That's what I would focus on. COLOR. They're all more or less brown or black. I'm colorblind. If the label on my dubbing packs disappear, I'm screwed. ACTION. Whether it's a crawler, clinger, burrower, or swimmer. 209er

Color blind? Well, that explains the whole Bud Light thing. All the bottles in the ice chest look the same. :D :D :D :D :D I'm sooooo sorry. :roll: :roll:

Randy
Always looking for brownie points
Rollincast

Postby planettrout » May 4th, 2009, 7:13 pm

Tobysmom,

Go back to my link on Western Mayfly Hatches, click on it, click on the book on the Midcurrent page, go to table of contents on the Amazon page, look under clingers...ie, March Brown( Rithrogena), Pink Albert (Epeorus), etc...Then, go back to Troutnuts page and narrow it down. If you were at elevation on Bishop Creek, I got a feeling it may be a March Brown - especially if it sized out to #14...Epeorus are mostly found on the Western Slope of The Sierras and they are a real treat on the Madison up at $3.00 Bridge late July- August. Both of these May Flies are most important in their emergent stage, they are already out of their shuck as they swim to the surface...

Craig Matthews has done extensive research on the Epeorus see his emerger pattern here:

http://www.blueribbonflies.com/merchand ... gers.shtml

And here are some great photos that may aid you in your quest..

http://www.joshuabergan.com/images/phot ... index.html

PT/TB :roll:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby 209er » May 6th, 2009, 7:50 pm

Randy,
You sorry squid! I was trying to have a educational thread and you thrash me because I'm colorblind. That's cold. What's wrong with BudLite? :bananadance: Wait till all you can drink is Pacifico. Running around in deep soft Rancho Leonero sand chasing roosters. Right! :rockon: Whoa, only 5 wks. You sorry dog................ :geek: 209er
209er

Return to General Fly Fishing