REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Costa Del Mar

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Costa Del Mar

Postby fish4poonz » May 7th, 2009, 8:24 am

FYI,

Just got off the phone with Larry Goates at Buz’s Fly Shop. He informed me that on Friday he would be adding Costa Del Mar Sunglasses as a normally stocked item in the store. Larry continues to offer what most believe as the finest products in the industry at each price point. Adding Costa Del Mar Sunglasses to what he offers in his shop really shows his commitment to this goal.

As many of you know, I believe Costa Del Mar’s are the finest polarized fishing glasses on the market. Whether you choose the Costa 400 or the Costa 580 (my glass of choice), you will find superior performance and quality. These lenses bring your fishing waters into high definition.

I started using Costa Del Mars quite a few years ago on the recommendation of my guide in Florida. I was having trouble picking up fish with my eyes far enough out to be properly prepared once they were in casting range. He loaned me an extra pair and I was suddenly able to pick out fish further out than I once thought possible. Each color of the fish stood out brighter with more definition. For that matter, just driving around I noticed that all the colors were brighter and more defined. I was hooked. Once I returned home I ordered a pair of 580 Copper Turbines.

My next trip was to Montana to fish the Bighorn River. We spent 5 days sight fishing for large brown and rainbow trout. Once again, it was like opening my eyes for the first time. I could pick up those subtle hints that a fish was there (white mouth, gold or green shapes, differentiating colors, or movement). The colors of the river just stood out. Wading was even easier since I could see the bottom so much better.

Since that first pair of Costa 580 Copper’s I have added the 580 Copper Green Mirror (even less glare), Costa 400 Sunrise yellow for very low light situations, and the new 580 Copper Silver Mirror (just because they were new). No need to worry about scratching these mirror lenses, they’re the toughest in the industry. I should know I am horrible with taking care of my glasses. Costa’s scratchproof encapsulated mirror, 8 layers of reflecting zircon, titanium and magnesium oxides, makes this lens extremely durable. I have since switched to a different frame style, The Harpoon.

Nobody’s perfect, I’ve tried the customer service and it was superb. I stepped on a pair in a wild Montana barroom fight (long story). The customer service reps at Costa Del Mar took in stride and replaced them for a nominal charge. All in all, it took about 10 days with no special shipping called for.

If you haven’t tried a pair Costa Del Mar, run down to Larry’s and put a few frames on. I think all of you will be as impressed as I am. How could so many Florida Guides be wrong?

Here’s Larry’s Shop Info.
Buz’s Fly Shop
1220 Oak St.
Bakersfield, CA 93304
http://www.buzsflyshop.com
buzsflyshop@yahoo.com
(661) 395-0032

If you give him a call, let him know I said it’s about time!

Brian
fish4poonz

Re: Costa Del Mar

Postby STMFlyGuide » May 7th, 2009, 9:40 am

I use Costa Del Mar sunglasses.. every pic you see me in I have them on .. They are the Swordfish series with the wave 580 lenses.. Green Mirror...$250 retail I think.. As good of glasses as one can get... David
Mammoth Lakes Fly Fishing Guide and Fly Shop in Bishop Ca

http://www.sierratroutmagnet.com
STMFlyGuide

Re: Costa Del Mar

Postby fish4poonz » May 7th, 2009, 9:43 am

David,

Agree, the 580 Glass lens is about as good as you can get. I prefer the green mirror, but the new silver mirror is very nice as well.
fish4poonz

Return to General Fly Fishing