REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Lightweight Rod Tubes

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Lightweight Rod Tubes

Postby rkfiske » May 7th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for some lightweight rod tubes to hike with. My TFO Pro doesn't have one and I lug around a Sched 40 PVC pipe with a * * for a top and cap on the other end. It's rather hefty to say the least. Does anyone have any good DIY suggestions for a lightweight tube that I can maybe custom cut? It's an 8' 3pc so it's a bit of an odd length.

- Ryan
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Re: Lightweight Rod Tubes

Postby darrin terry » May 7th, 2009, 1:43 pm

You could try the clear plastic flourescent light tubes you can find at places like Lowes and Home Depot. I know of a few guys that use them.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby briansII » May 7th, 2009, 2:09 pm

rkfiske wrote:Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for some lightweight rod tubes to hike with. My TFO Pro doesn't have one and I lug around a Sched 40 PVC pipe with a * * for a top and cap on the other end. It's rather hefty to say the least. Does anyone have any good DIY suggestions for a lightweight tube that I can maybe custom cut? It's an 8' 3pc so it's a bit of an odd length.

- Ryan

If i'm not mistaken, that clear plastic tube the TFO Pro comes in, would be the perfect backpacking tube. If you don't have that, then ditto what Darrin said.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=12206

briansII
briansII

Postby rkfiske » May 7th, 2009, 2:44 pm

briansII wrote:
rkfiske wrote:Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for some lightweight rod tubes to hike with. My TFO Pro doesn't have one and I lug around a Sched 40 PVC pipe with a * * for a top and cap on the other end. It's rather hefty to say the least. Does anyone have any good DIY suggestions for a lightweight tube that I can maybe custom cut? It's an 8' 3pc so it's a bit of an odd length.

- Ryan

If i'm not mistaken, that clear plastic tube the TFO Pro comes in, would be the perfect backpacking tube. If you don't have that, then ditto what Darrin said.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=12206

briansII

Unfortunately mine did not come with the plastic tube. Thanks for the link to BPL! I'll have to check out the fluorescent light tube stuff sounds like a cheap and light alternative.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby rkfiske » May 12th, 2009, 7:50 pm

Just an update:
I picked up a lamp guard from home depot and the weight savings versus my heavy PVC tube are remarkable. The lamp guard isn't very rigid at all, but for its purpose I think that it will be just fine. 2.86 for a 4ft tube and works great in case anyone wants to know. You might need to look for a larger diameter for a 4 piece rod but my 3pc fits in a lamp guard meant for a T12 bulb nice and tight!
rkfiske

Postby anacrime » May 12th, 2009, 7:55 pm

they'll fit 4pc rods as well. i've made like four of them. they're surprisingly durable too
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby dirtryder219 » May 20th, 2009, 6:35 pm

After reading this I deceided to pick up a couple of the tubes and I am quite surprised! They look like they will do the trick on backpacking trips and they are extremely light....I am gonna give them a run this weekend while I am chasing some gold. 8-)

KC
If you actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
dirtryder219

Return to General Fly Fishing