REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Info on CA Steelhead fishing?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Info on CA Steelhead fishing?

Postby anacrime » May 10th, 2009, 6:11 pm

Yeah, I feel the urge to pierce the lip of Mother's finest and most glorious salmonid.

Won't have too much time this winter (I feel like going to school), but I'd love to pull some suicide one and two day trips.

So books, websites, reports, GPS coordinates, and your honey holes. Stat 8-)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Re: Info on CA Steelhead fishing?

Postby midger » May 10th, 2009, 6:40 pm

Good luck in your quest, but you are a bit unreasonable to think you can do it in a one day trip and even a two day trip is suicide, as the better steelhead streams are in Northern California. I do it every September, and used to go September through December when I lived in Sacramento.

Best bet--fly into Sacramento and rent a car to drive to the Trinity or Klamath. Trinity is 4 hours drive, and Klamath is 6 hours. I fly out of Ontario and go for 4 days when I head North. My next trip will be September the 15-19th. It is doable if you drive, but you'll burn a day each way.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby anacrime » May 10th, 2009, 6:57 pm

I thought there were closer rivers?
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby midger » May 10th, 2009, 7:25 pm

The actual closest fishable river for steelhead is probably the Russian, and there are some in the Yuba, Feather, and a few that use the American, but all of the fishables will be up North, to the best of my knowledge. Maybe a died in the wool steelhead junkie can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've not fished anything South of the Russian that contains a legally fishable run.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby NorcalBob » May 10th, 2009, 8:15 pm

All of the Central Valley Rivers (that eventually reach the Pacific) have steelhead runs. Some are better than others. :o
However, for consistent steelie runs think American River northward. The American, Feather, and Sacramento Rivers all have hatcheries producing large amount of steelies. :gun: :rockon:
NorcalBob

Postby castaway » May 10th, 2009, 8:24 pm

I am Biased... but the Trinity and the Russian are a lot of fun... Although, I have not been able to stick a actual steelhead (Unless you count the 1/2 pounders that are on their way to the ocean from the hatchery).

The Russian is located in the heart of wine country - so you can make is a multiple event trip.

Check with Palo at the Santa Rosa western outdoor shop on Santa Rosa Ave. he is well known in the area as being the expert.

Expect to use a 7/8wt with a shooting head set up .. quartering the river pulling a fly known as the Comet back to you.

Lots of public access from Dry creek to the ocean..

Although the Trinity has the largest and most consistant returns of fish...I havent been up there is probably 12 years - but did stick a 47 pound Salmon back in my youth from that river.

I dont know anything about the central cali rivers... but they do produce - I think access can be limited.

Its all about timing.... The Russian gets blown out easy - but must have just enough rain to open the mouth without blowing it out... and I mean blowing it out... like flood all the towns around it.

On the Russian - never spend more than an hou in any one spot... if you dont see a large fish rolling or small fish jumping... its time to move.

Great place to drift... Start at Wohler bridge - down to burks... or all the way to Guerneville. (johnsons beach).
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby Flyjunkie » May 11th, 2009, 8:44 am

My personal favorite river is the Yuba.. not because one is always sticking Big Steelhead, but because it is a comfortable size and when the Steelhead are in, the river is a joy to be on (& in)... I have done a number of January trips there over the years and it is a Sweet River to be at that time of the year... Most anglers fish from the Highway 20/Parks Bar Bridge upstream.. but if You are willing to Hoof it downstream from the bridge You'll find tasty Stretches and next to nothing in the way of other Anglers... Good thing about the Yuba is that a short 30 minute drive (at the Most) north will put you on the Feather below Oroville.. and the Feather can be fishing good at the same time the Yuba is.... (plus there's a shot at Bigger Steelhead in the Feather)

I agree a One day run is not a Good idea.. you do need afew days to get Steelhead.... ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby NorcalBob » May 11th, 2009, 11:29 am

The Yuba's nickname up here is Zoo-ba!!!!!! Especially on weekends!!!!! :gun: :gun: :twisted:
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » May 11th, 2009, 12:30 pm

NorcalBob wrote:The Yuba's nickname up here is Zoo-ba!!!!!! Especially on weekends!!!!! :gun: :gun: :twisted:

You meant to say East Fork Putah, didn't you? ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby NorcalBob » May 11th, 2009, 6:43 pm

You're a bad boy!!!! :gun: :gun: :gun: :twisted: :rockon:
NorcalBob

Postby anacrime » May 11th, 2009, 8:16 pm

thanks for all the info guys 8-)

the general census seems to be at least 3 days, which i might be able to swing on occasion. definitely excited and definitely going to give it a go!

now how about flies and technique? cheers 8-)
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Flyjunkie » May 13th, 2009, 6:48 am

NorcalBob wrote:The Yuba's nickname up here is Zoo-ba!!!!!! Especially on weekends!!!!! :gun: :gun: :twisted:

Yeah, that's the Truth.. I always plan my trips to be on the Yuba during the Week.. Less crowds...
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby Bernard » May 13th, 2009, 9:55 am

Stay in New Zealand. You left California for a reason and judging from your blog, it's paying off.
;)
Bernard

Return to General Fly Fishing