REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

CLUELESS Anglers

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

CLUELESS Anglers

Postby Benny » August 18th, 2008, 12:45 pm

Just a little information for all the "CLUELESS" anglers who frequent the Forks of the Kern. This covers the waters from the point where U.S. Forest Service Trail 33E30 heads east to join the Rincon Trail upstream to the mouth of Tyndall Creek. Maximum size limit is 10 inches total length for rainbow trout, any trout larger than 10 inches must be released unharmed. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used. The Limit is 2 trout, but we all know most of us practice C&R.

The reason I am posting this information is while fishing the FOTK, I encounterd a guy spin fishing with CRICKETS. I'm quite sure the guy was CLUELESS!
The overall fishing was poor, with nothing but small juvinile fish being C&R over the weekend. This is from an area that used to produce very beautiful large trout. This sucks big time, I think that the fish are being POACHED by all the "CLUELESS" anglers.
Benny

Re: CLUELESS Anglers

Postby Benny » August 18th, 2008, 1:21 pm

Access to the trailhead is not to hard and clearly marked. The hike out will kill an out of shape guy. I don't think the fish are being taken home, the people down in the FOTK are mostly backpackers. More than likely the fish are being consumed for whatever reason. One would think that the further up river you go, the fishing would get better, but with all the camp sites strewn along the river the fishing was poor. Me and some of the guys were trying to figure out what the heck was going on and could not really say for sure what happen to the all the large fish that were in the river in previous years. This sucks big time for sure.
Benny

Postby anacrime » August 18th, 2008, 1:28 pm

Bummer dude. How were the flows?
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Benny » August 18th, 2008, 1:44 pm

Flows are low but very fishable. Very easy wading. Lots of people backpacking, can't wait for summer to be over.
Benny

Postby Benny » August 18th, 2008, 2:07 pm

I agree that nothing or very little if anything will be done. All I could do is tell everyone about the incident. Maybe the clueless guy or another will come across the post on this board or another and get a clue. I know this is wishful thinking on my part but a guy can hold on to that hope.
Benny

Postby midger » August 18th, 2008, 3:20 pm

Benny wrote:I agree that nothing or very little if anything will be done. All I could do is tell everyone about the incident. Maybe the clueless guy or another will come across the post on this board or another and get a clue. I know this is wishful thinking on my part but a guy can hold on to that hope.

I wish you were right, but doubt that clueless gives a ratsa$$ about what is right. I've not found that "clueless" folks really want to learn nor have I found many that were truly ignorant of the regs they are violating. They know, but figure their odds of being caught are virtually nonexistant (which is pretty near correct).

Sorry you didn't catch many large trout this time, but I'd bet they are still there, but just hunkered down. Temps are too hot now. What was the water temp there? Air temp? It's also a full moon--didn't you notice that? I plan on going down in late September or early October. I just "know" the biguns will respond. I gots my spinning rod and power bait packed. :roll:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby ocmike » August 18th, 2008, 5:26 pm

DrCreek wrote:
midger wrote:
What was the water temp there? Air temp? It's also a full moon--didn't you notice that? I gots my spinning rod and power bait packed. :roll:

Air temp was easily 70. Water temp was chilly to me, but Shane was wet wading with no ill effects. Punk kid. ;) I'm guessing the water was 52-54.

I was wet wading too, so if these old bones and blood could take it, it couldn't have been THAT cold, could it? :ugeek:
ocmike

Postby Papasequoia » August 18th, 2008, 5:39 pm

I'm usually a pessimist, but on this topic I feel a bit more optimistic.

I think that fly fishing boards like the Kern board and others (and in the future this board) have changed a lot of attitudes. Many people have stated on these boards that they took up fly fishing then the C&R ethic due to the influence of comments they have read and most especially the people they have met that have both preached and practiced the C&R method. Even many of those bait and lure fishing shows on TV are practicing C&R. This is a change in fishing culture, imho. It will take some time to take hold, sink in and filter down. But, I think that it will. Not to everyone. Not all the time. But eventually, and in the long run. At least I hope so. The glass is now 58.7% full. :lol: Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby mk4 » August 18th, 2008, 10:52 pm

Something else I wonder about is the permitting of the FOTK trail.

Is there a quota? Didn't seem like it because there was like 15 cars at the trailhead.
mk4

Postby Benny » August 19th, 2008, 11:26 am

wildfly wrote:That was so funny I think you just earned yourself a fish sandwich with a side of ImageHOG BALLSImageand pickled pig's feet :D

I love this site Image
Benny

Postby RubiKinda » August 19th, 2008, 12:16 pm

Doc, what stoe was that ?? Thats a dern good price! :lol:
RubiKinda

Postby RubiKinda » August 19th, 2008, 3:48 pm

Its how rednecks write "STORE"....typo
RubiKinda

Postby RubiKinda » August 19th, 2008, 4:41 pm