REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Bringing Organic Fly Tying Material to the States?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Bringing Organic Fly Tying Material to the States?

Postby anacrime » May 24th, 2009, 7:29 pm

Does customs allow you to bring organic material into the states? I know NZ customs doesn't allow it, but not sure about US.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Re: Bringing Organic Fly Tying Material to the States?

Postby midger » May 24th, 2009, 7:46 pm

It depends on what it is and whether it is on any endangered lists. Don't try bringing jungle * in, for instance. I'd definitely check with US Customs before trying to bring any queationable items in.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby castaway » May 24th, 2009, 8:21 pm

when I was in Australia - I had some questionable items... I just mailed it to myself...wasnt cheap - but easy.

I dont know if I broke the law or not... but figured it would be less of a hassel.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby anacrime » May 24th, 2009, 8:31 pm

Did you declare your items accurately on the customs sheet?
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby castaway » May 24th, 2009, 8:40 pm

I dont remember... I think I did.

but pretty sure they are much more lax on items going through the mail... not enough time to check every single package.

talk with a local mail center - see what they recommend.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby NorcalBob » May 25th, 2009, 8:40 am

I can only relate one experience. I was bringing back some feathers in a zip lock bag (not endangered species), declared on the Customs Forms at the airport, and it was promptly confiscated. I was told by the agent, that any thing that is not "obviously commercially packaged" will be confiscated. If it's not illegal stuff, I'd mail it. If it's illegal stuff, I would not mail it.
NorcalBob

Postby rayfound » May 25th, 2009, 8:54 am

I've carried fly tying material across the Canadian border and back again several times without issue. I don't declare it though, as it is just a personal item like anything else I carry.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Return to General Fly Fishing