REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Go East old man Go East

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Go East old man Go East

Postby Barrie Mann » May 28th, 2009, 12:44 pm

One month from now I will retire. This will be my second attempt at retirement but this time I believe I am much more prepared mentally than my previous “retirement” This time I am committed to doing something that my wife and I have been talking about doing for the last couple of years, but have always found a reason for not doing so.
This time it’s different. We, my wife and I, plus our two small dogs will climb into the cab of my pick up truck with our 5th wheel travel trailer attached and we will hit the road for an extended road trip. By extended I mean we don’t plan on returning to California until some time in the spring of 2010.
I will fish my way across the country and back, plus of course do some of the tourist things that my wife wants to do. The good thing is that we have destinations and activities that we will do but no fixed schedule.
I will fish for trout, carp, bluegill, wherever I can. I will fish some of my favourite rivers. We will visit Jackson WY. And I’ll fish the Snake, head up to Yellowstone and fish the park. Eventually making my way down to Arkansas to fish the White River, then heading to Branson MO. I’ll fish Taneycomo for large rainbows and Bull Shoals for Bass. Heading up into PA I’ll be intime to fish for the lake run large Browns and Steelheads that run in the tribs of Lake Erie. I’ll also fish central PA for brooks and browns meeting up with old fishing buddies to do so. From there heading into the Smokies for some of the best Brookie action you can find finally landing up in Florida where I plan to fish for Snook and Tarpon as well as Bones on the Flats.
After that we’ll head home via the southern route fishing Alabama and Louisana for Reds and whatever else I might find then fishing my way through TX and New Mexico eventually get back in time to fish the Kern before the run off starts.
So that’s my retirement plan this time. Go East old man Go East.
:rockon: :rockon:
Barrie Mann

Re: Go East old man Go East

Postby darrin terry » May 28th, 2009, 12:54 pm

OK, I am officially envious of you. :mrgreen:

Good for you, Barrie. That sounds like a wonderful trip. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Gary C. » May 28th, 2009, 1:02 pm

Now that is a retirement plan :rockon: Good for you and enjoy it all.
Gary C.
Gary C.

Postby dna » May 28th, 2009, 1:27 pm

Best of luck!!!!
dna

Postby anacrime » May 28th, 2009, 3:37 pm

if that's your definition of retirement, i've been retired for 6 months 8-)

trip looks amazing and i'm totally envious. can't wait for the reports. also perhaps you can grace us envious noobs with your knowledge of great lakes run trout. i'd love to tag one of those beasts one day!

since you're after the best of the midwest, north, east, and southeast, i think it's only * you chase some gila's and apache's in the southwest. but then again, it's not my retirement. yet 8-)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Eric » May 28th, 2009, 3:44 pm

Barrie,that sounds like a great way to restart your retirement. Looking forward to your reports and pics.
Eric
Eric

Postby fly addict » May 28th, 2009, 4:44 pm

Barrie, Sounds like a great way to start your retirement. Have fun.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Benny » May 28th, 2009, 5:50 pm

Definitely sounds like an awesome plan. Have an excellent adventure.
Benny

Postby RichardCullip » May 28th, 2009, 6:34 pm

Congrats on the pending retirement. Sounds like you have an awesome plan. Do you need a co-pilot/navigator? ;) ;) ;) ;)
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby midger » May 28th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Good luck and have a safe trip. I won't tell you to have fun, as that goes without saying.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Sheriff Joe » May 28th, 2009, 7:48 pm

Go west, young (ish) man. And east and north and south. Can't wait to see your reports. You must post up your "favourite" pics....
Slap a cold trout on it!
Sheriff Joe

Postby 1mocast » May 29th, 2009, 2:03 am

Barrie,
Have a Great Retirement! And please post some of your wanderings...Congrats!
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby stanbery » May 29th, 2009, 2:46 am

Barrie

Have a grat time on your retirement plan, It sounds like a great time.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby fflutterffly » May 29th, 2009, 6:21 am

I hope this adventure includes your laptop and stories, plus photo's of as many places you visit. I'm surprised Alaska isn't part of this plan, since, as I've heard, they now have paved roads. When will you be leaving? Best to you and all the family.
Ariel & karen
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby Papasequoia » May 29th, 2009, 8:14 am

Yeah, you didn't tell us if you were bringing a laptop so you could file reports for us to drool over. It sounds like you'll be putting Dave (WtW) to shame with this retirement plan. Congrats! Oh yeah, what can you catch in Branson? Enquiring minds want to know!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing