REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Drift Boats

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Drift Boats

Postby dna » May 28th, 2009, 1:40 pm

I am heading out on my first drift boat fly fishing experience next week. Anyone have any tips or advice? I have fly fished from a boat before, just not in moving water. Let's hear it...

Thanks.
dna

Re: Drift Boats

Postby thtsarumr » May 28th, 2009, 1:57 pm

Rule #1... STAY IN THE BOAT. :lol:
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby dna » May 28th, 2009, 3:42 pm

Craig- Thanks for the tips. I am going to be doing a guided-float down the Deerfield River in Massachusetts. Looking forward to it: if everythign is right, it should be dry-fly time--as in #6 Stones--for big browns and rainbows! Really looking forward to it :rockon:
dna

Postby Eric » May 28th, 2009, 3:45 pm

Good luck Antonio!!!!!!!
Eric
Eric

Postby hyde_guide » May 28th, 2009, 3:58 pm

Sounds like a great trip. Be mindful of your excess fly line in the vicinity of the anchor rope if you are seated in the aft section of the drift boat. There is a chance of the line getting tangled and sucked through the rollers of the transom anchor arm when the anchor is released, a good guide will let you know when he drops anchor. Also, be heads up in the aft of those two little rubber things with wingnuts located on the rear deck. Kicking those loose will gets the guides attention real quick, trust me...lol... Have a great trip looking forward to seeing the pics!
if it aint chrome its lame.
hyde_guide

Postby dna » May 28th, 2009, 4:25 pm

Hyde,
Difiniely sage advice. I was out on a bass boat for Stripers on the Delta, and there are so many different hazards on that kind of boat for fly line, etc. I ended getting my line in the motor-linkage area and had grease on my sink tip and all over my hands the rest of the day. Sucked!

Hopefully there will be good pics!

Thanks, Eric! Long time bud.
dna

Postby Benny » May 28th, 2009, 5:47 pm

Have fun!
Benny

Postby midger » May 28th, 2009, 7:11 pm

A dry bag is nice, but a waterproof bag like the old Montana bag with the roll shut/velcro enclosure is better as the whole top opens for access without digging down into the bag. If you've got a single or double rod case that enables you to have a second rod rigged and broken in half and safely stored, take it. I usually rig one for nymphs and one with streamers--YMMV, but listen to what the guide suggests.

Don't wear studded wading shoes--most guides will keel haul you, I'd just have you swim. :doh: Raises heck with the boat's floor.

Listen to the guide, especially if there is a front fisher and a rear fisher. They'll help you keep your lines on the water, where they need to be, rather than in the boat undoing horrendous bird's nests.

Don't hook the guide. :lol:

Have fun.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby stanbery » May 29th, 2009, 2:43 am

Have a great trip.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby BirdDog » May 29th, 2009, 8:24 am

Bring less gear.....carry more beer. I love fishing from a drift boat. One peiece of advice is to really utilize your reach cast to get maximum drift.
FISH BIG BUSHY DRIES!!!!
BirdDog

Postby WatchinTheWater » May 30th, 2009, 6:34 am

I second Birddog; practice that reach cast before you go. I mend more than I should because I have a terrible/no reach cast. Good mending helps but a good reach cast will get the longest drag free drifts. Unless it's a really warm day and you are anchored in calm water it is best not to fall out of the boat.
Remember to laugh loudly,
Dave
WatchinTheWater

Postby Eric » May 30th, 2009, 10:49 am

Fish Barbless!!!!!!! You don't want to wear those flys ;)
Eric
Eric

Return to General Fly Fishing