REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Internet Shops

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Internet Shops

Postby BirdDog » May 29th, 2009, 9:37 pm

Any of you guys order flies from internet sites.....if so which ones are reputable? Riverbums fly selection looked better in photos than many of the other discount sites. Do any of you know any shops that wold match some of the internet deals out there, because I would much rather give them my business.
FISH BIG BUSHY DRIES!!!!
BirdDog

Re: Internet Shops

Postby tomsakai » May 29th, 2009, 10:35 pm

I've ordered in the past from both Blue Fly Cafe (/www.blueflycafe.com) and Fly Shack (www.flyshack.com) and been very happy with the quick service from both. In fact, a small order from Blue Fly just came in. :D Tom.
tomsakai

Postby darrin terry » May 29th, 2009, 10:53 pm

I've ordered with both

http://www.flyshack.com

and

http://www.theflystop.com/

and have been happy with both. I prefer the 2nd one listed though. I also do not order often these days as I now tie the majority of my flies.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby SJDrifli » May 30th, 2009, 5:05 am

Blue Fly is out of Boise and they also have a brick and mortar building. The owner has done some amazing things with his shop and his internet business. I tie commercially and there some flies that I just hate to tie and I purchase all of those from them. They are a really high quality fly and he uses really high quality materials. Daiichi hooks and whiting hackles. You can't go wrong with the quality or the price.
SJDrifli

Postby midger » May 30th, 2009, 5:13 am

I second Blue Fly Cafe out of Garden City(Boise) Idaho. BTW, Mike's place is also a brick and mortar shop as well, and if you are ever in Boise you can stop by and hand pick your flies from his many bins, and he carries TFO rods if you have a hankering for a new, well-priced rod.

The flies are well tied, on Daichii hooks primarily, and with good materials.

Hill's Discount Flies were also good, but I haven't ordered anything from them in the past 6-7 years.

There are very few shops that can/will match the .65 to .75 a fly price you will find online. What you do get from local shops in the areas you'll be in is local fishing info and "hot" patterns for their particular waters. I tie my own flies, but feel obligated to buy something when I pump these local shops for info when fishing an area I'm not that familiar with, so I'll usually buy some flies--patterns I don't particularly like tying like size 18 royal wulff's, size 20 adams, or a time consuming hopper pattern.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » May 30th, 2009, 6:18 am

BirdDog wrote:Any of you guys order flies from internet sites.....if so which ones are reputable? Riverbums fly selection looked better in photos than many of the other discount sites. Do any of you know any shops that wold match some of the internet deals out there, because I would much rather give them my business.

Riverbum is one of the places I use. Their quality is very good, and their service is one of the best i've used. Their prices recently went up, but I still use them because of the quality of the ties.

briansII
briansII

Postby rayfound » May 30th, 2009, 6:52 am

On advice from Midger a while back, I gave blueflycafe a shot last summer and wasn't disappointed.

I actually have had a couple gift cards to there since christmas, and because I've been tying so much, I couldn't figure out what to use them for.

Like others said, I just used them to buy flies I don't like tying (stimis under size 12, 18 and smaller para adams, Some complicated hoppers...) Plus, I picked up a stream Thermometer, a spool of 5x, and magnetic net clip.

Quality of the flies seems good to me.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby fflutterffly » May 30th, 2009, 6:56 am

You should ask that question directly to the shop pal and see what they say. They may give you a small discount, which is all it might take to keep your business. Montana fly company is an excellent source.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby planettrout » May 30th, 2009, 8:35 am

Ck. out Harry Mason's deals...

http://www.troutflies.com/

PT/TB :rockon:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby Papasequoia » May 30th, 2009, 10:53 am

midger wrote: I tie my own flies, but feel obligated to buy something when I pump these local shops for info when fishing an area I'm not that familiar with, so I'll usually buy some flies--patterns I don't particularly like tying like size 18 royal wulff's, size 20 adams, or a time consuming hopper pattern.

What??!! You have patterns that you don't like to tie? Here I was yesterday sweating and cursing over tying up a dozen parachute adams, mostly in 18 with a box of size #20 hooks waiting. I pushed myself to keep tying this fly that is like a nemesis to me, and now I find that even you would prefer not to tie the smaller ones? I'm going to have to take some time to process this information. You've slipped off of the pedestal a bit with this information, Mike. :cry:

Oh, I can fourth or fifth vouch for blueflycafe.com as well. I've been using them for years and only had a couple of flies that fell apart easily (out of many, many dozens bought, if not hundreds), which I think you'll find anywhere. Now that I've invested all of these hundreds of dollars in fly tying materials in order to save money on flies :!: I've been tying more of the ones that I need so I haven't gotten anything from them in about a year. However, it looks like I will soon be placing an order for #20 adams. :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby flybob » June 1st, 2009, 9:44 am

BFC it is for me!

Even though I tie, I stay away from the tiny tynees and the big bushy honkers with the spun hair!

They are well made, inexpensive (quite frankly, too inexpensive) and delivery is fast!

Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby fly addict » June 1st, 2009, 10:09 am

Riverbum flies are great flies. Their service is good too. I had a package of flies arrive that looked like a truck had driven over it. Half the flies were gone. I emailed them with photos of the crushed package. They sent me a new order no questions asked. They have a lot of flies you can’t get any other place!
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Sasha » June 1st, 2009, 10:38 am

I just go into Blue fly Cafe as opposed to ordering ;) But like a few others have said Blue fly is great. Oh midger I don't know if you knew this but he expanded his shop and also carries Sage now.
Sasha

Postby Papasequoia » June 2nd, 2009, 6:16 am

Sasha wrote:Oh midger I don't know if you knew this but he expanded his shop and also carries Sage now.

Midger isn't reading this thread anymore. He is too embarrassed that he admitted that he can't tie "size 18 royal wulff's, size 20 adams, or a time consuming hopper pattern." Oh how the mighty have fallen. Image
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Sasha » June 2nd, 2009, 9:07 am

Papasequoia wrote:
Sasha wrote:Oh midger I don't know if you knew this but he expanded his shop and also carries Sage now.

Midger isn't reading this thread anymore. He is too embarrassed that he admitted that he can't tie "size 18 royal wulff's, size 20 adams, or a time consuming hopper pattern." Oh how the mighty have fallen. Image

opps my bad I forgot about that :lol: ;)
Sasha

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing