REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Looking for fly rod advice

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Looking for fly rod advice

Postby Sasha » August 19th, 2008, 4:52 pm

Ok guys I am looking for a little input on an issue that I am having. I was all set on getting a TXL until I went out and cast a 4WT bamboo rod. I got talking with a bamboo rod builder and he informed me that he could build me a 1WT bamboo. Man I was thinking that it would be sweet to have that small of a bamboo rod. So my question is should I go for a TXL or the bamboo? I have cast the TXL but I have not cast anything lighter than a 4WT bamboo, so which one would you get and why? (Or should I get both :D )
Sasha

Re: Looking for fly rod advice

Postby Sasha » August 19th, 2008, 5:46 pm

Ok to answer your questions I was thinking of going with the 00 or 000. (I have cast both)
I got the chance to fish with a bamboo for a day and I liked the action on it a lot, so I figured that a 1wt would be even better. The rod maker is in CA and a and the 1wt is more of a specialty build so I don’t think I would be able to cast it before purchase. (But I have not asked about casting it first either)
Sasha

Postby flybob » August 19th, 2008, 6:26 pm

Ok, I am not anywherez near the authority on UL's that the Doc is, but I will say this, I have 12 rods from 6wt down to 0wt! Three 2wt's one 1wt and 1 0wt. I have a few 3 and 4wts and they all cast great! But on a recent trip, I took my new 0wt out for a dance, and dance it did! I have come to realize that I really enjoy the fight of the fish, mostly the dinks, and when you start fishing with the UL's it is really hard to go back to a 4wt, at least on small creeks anyway.

Especially when you hook into a 14 + incher! Man you wanna talk about some serious action! I have caught plenty this size on tiny creeks with a 4wt, I now find that the heavier rod (yes, 3 & 4's I now consider heavy) isolate a lot of the feel, comparatively speaking, and it's just a simple keep tension on the line and reel or strip it in. But my first 14 on this 0wt was a tremendously different experience, every movement and wiggle of the fish was transmitted up the fine line and into the almost doubled over rod and into my hands and arms! You almost feel like you are connected directly to the fish! Now you really have to work to bring the fish to the net, seemingly simple right, wrong! I lost a few biguns in the final second, only to watch that gaping mouth sink slowly off the frame of my net and back into the cool abyss sans the hook!

I could not believe how truly different the experience is! Now I know why Dr. Creek fishes with UL's exclusively! If you know someone with an ultralight who will let you try it out, you really gotta go for it!

So think about the fun factor, if you are fortunate enough to aquire both, go for it.

Hope I did not rant too much, and I hope this helps with your choice,
JMHO
fb
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Sasha » August 19th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Thanks for the quick answers guys :)

Right now 98% of my fishing is done with my 7' 9" Full Flex 1WT. Actually in all of the reports I have posted here all of the fish except about three of them have been landed on my 1WT. I wanted something with a bit more action than the 1 that is why I was set on the TXL what threw me for a loop though was fishing with the bamboo rod. I honestly wish I could fish both the 1WT bamboo and the TXL side by side on my little "Redband" creek and see which one I liked better, but I realize that it is not possible to do so.
Sasha

Postby Eric » August 20th, 2008, 7:33 am

Sasha think of the cost. for the price of the boo u could get both a OO wt. and the OOOwt. just a thought :idea:
Eric
Eric

Postby darrin terry » August 20th, 2008, 8:55 am

Sasha, I think I would talk to Mike (Riverphish) about this. I know he makes down to a 2 wt boo stick. Unless there is a bamboo rod builder here, Mike would definitely be the most knowledgeable person I could point you to. Concerning the boo anyway. As for the TXL, well come on, you already know you won't go wrong there. You know of at least a dozen flyfishers that fish them in 1 wt or lighter. I don't know if you've talked to him or not, but Riverphish is a real nice guy. Lots of info can be had talking with him. And it's hard for me to imagine getting better info than you would get by talking to someone who builds them for a living.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Sasha » August 20th, 2008, 12:04 pm

Well either way I did get an OB-1 today for a great deal only $125 new in box, my local fly shop was having a sale :D
Sasha

Postby fly addict » August 20th, 2008, 9:55 pm

Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Sasha » August 21st, 2008, 7:55 am

fly addict wrote:Sasha
Check this forum out http://www.clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/directory

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the URL I will check it out. I think I have decided just to get both though, I will get the TXL 1st then get the boo.
Sasha

Return to General Fly Fishing