REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

June Fish/Pic of the Month

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: June Fish/Pic of the Month

Postby Papasequoia » July 4th, 2009, 1:22 pm

May I suggest an alternative? One of the downsides to being a judge is that you can't enter your own pictures. So, I would suggest a rotating judgeship. First, get a list of volunteers to be a judge. Depending on how many you get, that depends on how long before you serve again. If you get six people, they serve once every six months, etc. Perhaps most importantly, one new rule for judges would be that if they take a picture in a month they are serving that they would really like to enter they may enter it in the following month. That way, serving or not, they always have a chance to enter one of their pictures. Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Sasha » July 4th, 2009, 3:59 pm

I like that Idea Papa. That way different people can take turns and are less likely to get burned out.
Sasha

Postby rayfound » July 5th, 2009, 9:04 am

wildfly wrote:Excellent choice.

Great, its decided.

Craig, this is your month. You will serve again in 6 months. Congrats. ;)

Thanks for volunteering.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby aaron otto » July 5th, 2009, 12:12 pm

wildfly wrote:Aaron,

Thanks for the submissions! I always enjoy your work. I LOVE the definition of the lateral line on that little bass, usually they aren't that defined yet at that size. If you ever need a home for an article, I would be more than willing to do the formatting and throw it up here on the main site. I just don't have any money to offer in return, as the site purposefully was made to keep the monetary infuences of advertising and such from influencing what we can talk about here.

As far as the technical stuff you talked about, I have a few Q's:

1. Is the F 1.8 50mm fixed Canon lens that's <$100 a good lens? I am thinking of getting this one as a solid fixed lens for most of my run and gun shooting, as my Sigma "kit" lens leaves much to be desired.

2. You mentioned off camera flash... how do you go about this while out in the field without having extra help? Do you have it on a bracket or some sort of holder?

1. I assume it is, but ask Corey. I shoot Nikon. I shoot the 1.4 prime 50 -it is my go to lens for a lot of things.
2. I use a pocket wizard, a strobe, and a bogen stand, handheld, or monopod.

Hope that helps!
aaron otto

Postby Barrie Mann » July 6th, 2009, 7:13 am

wildfly wrote:I forgot that we don't have a judge for this month... he took off on a summer road trip!

Yes I'm on the road and some in a wilderness area that has a small stream and willing fish so I'm staying for a while. I now know I will not be back in California until after January 2010 as we have just learned that our first grandchild will be born in Orlando in January. Doesn't matter whether its a boy or girl I'll have a fly rod ready bu the third birthday. :) :) :)
BTW if anyone wants my new e-mail address then please PM me.
Later..... the fish are calling me.
Barrie Mann
Barrie Mann

Postby coreyk » July 6th, 2009, 9:52 am

aaron otto wrote:
wildfly wrote:1. Is the F 1.8 50mm fixed Canon lens that's <$100 a good lens? I am thinking of getting this one as a solid fixed lens for most of my run and gun shooting, as my Sigma "kit" lens leaves much to be desired.

1. I assume it is, but ask Corey. I shoot Nikon. I shoot the 1.4 prime 50 -it is my go to lens for a lot of things.

I have the 1.8 .. It is a fantastic value for the $$$. Get it!
coreyk

Postby aaron otto » July 6th, 2009, 2:37 pm

Thanks for piping in CK. Something about the 50 Prime, I don't know, it calls to me.

Some of my favorite shot's of all time have been taken with it. Seems to push a beautiful creamy backdrop, even at really high shutter speeds. I'm a big fan of opening mine wide up even in bad light and popping the shutter to 1200 or higher. Below I will add a couple shots with tack sharp fish, but slightly out of focus anglers. I love this shot. Sincerely, the focus of your grin and grip shouldn't be the angler. It should be the beautiful fish you just caught. So the concept of taking the angler slightly out of the shot by opening up a stop or two traditional past the range you would get both the fish and the angler sharp is something I try and do with almost every grip and grin. The 50p is my go-to for that, with the 1.4 hole.

So at the risk of sounding completely alien, I think most of photography is figuring out where to stand. I know that sounds ironic, but I've been thinking a lot about that lately. Why some shoots I just don't get what I see before the shot. The 50 seems to be my go to when I'm with-in say fifteen feet and don't want to get a macro shot. If I step out to say 20 to 25 I will pull out my 85mm and for close ups t that distance and a bit further I tend to use a 105 2.8. I hope that helps give folks a sense of what the lens is about and why, at least someone like me would use it.

The lens has a romantic throwback quality for me. Feels like I think shots used to, private almost intimate. Gives me the viewer a sense of being there.
aaron otto

Postby gabe » July 6th, 2009, 2:55 pm

lil tangent here, but AO or CK...
you guys should consider doing an article for the site.
Fishing Photography, back country photography, etc... something of the sort.
maybe even tools of the trade.

anyhow, sweet pics once again.
gabe

Postby Benny » July 6th, 2009, 3:19 pm

Nice work with the prime lenses :oo: (sp) Are you using the flash for most of your shots Aaron?
Benny

Postby darrin terry » July 6th, 2009, 3:25 pm

aaron otto wrote:Image

Can you say BOKEH? Nice examples there, A. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby theokieangler » July 7th, 2009, 7:23 pm

I haven't been around long enough to know the rules for the fish pic of the month, so if this one is past the deadline no worries! Just thought I'd share :)

theokieangler

Postby flybob » July 7th, 2009, 7:26 pm

Dude, that is just CREEPY! :shock:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby theokieangler » July 8th, 2009, 8:32 am

if by creepy you mean COOOOOL ;)
theokieangler

Postby flybob » July 8th, 2009, 2:59 pm

theokieangler wrote:if by creepy you mean COOOOOL ;)

NO, I MEAN nightmare kind of CREEPY! :shock:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby stanbery » July 9th, 2009, 12:56 am

theokieangler wrote:if by creepy you mean COOOOOL ;)

You should have seen Bob the first time he went fishing for carp in a hazmat suit.
:funnyup: :funnyup:
jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing