REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Never Say Never (aka: Stanbery is Psychic)

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Never Say Never (aka: Stanbery is Psychic)

Postby briansII » June 3rd, 2009, 9:02 am

Papasequoia wrote:Thanks for the replies, guys, all helpful and should cut down on the learning curve. I bought a pump and tried blowing them up. The unlabeled one has a skirt with the name on it: Stillwater Talon. Unfortunately although it had everything, the bladder appears to have a slow leak. Are there any rubbing alcohol type tricks for that, or is it just filling the bathtub and squeezing?

The Caddis (still can't find a model name) is the most seaworthy, but it needs the top bladder in the headrest area. I could use it though, but I'll look for a replacement, I assume they are a standard size?

The one that will need the most fixing up is the Stealthrider. The top headrest bladder is there, but the larger one below it is missing. Since the company is out of business, any ideas on how to find a replacement? The bottom/large bladder is actually two bladders on this model. And they are two different valves, so I assume one of them is a replacement. Unfortunately, the valve on one of them is a strange type that is missing a cap. Here is what it looks like:

Any ideas on what to do about that? Can you buy a cap, or can you loosen that hose clamp and buy a new valve to insert, or can you buy a whole new stem assembly? What's the best way to go about fixing this one up?

Thanks again for advice!

To find leaks in the bladder, i've always use soapy(dish soap)water spread on the bladder. The bubbles should be very noticeable.

I do not think you'll have much luck finding a Wood River bladder. Possible, but i think they are getting very scarce......I saw a old Wood River on Ebay a few years back. I would look at companies like Caddis, or OTC....or whoever makes the Trout Unlimited models for a bladder. It may not be a perfect fit, but it should work. As for that valve on the Wood River, the knurled part turns and opens/closes the valve to fill the tube. Mine looks the same, and there is no cap. It's a crummy, hard to use valve. I think a replacement bladder will come with it's own valves.

briansII
briansII

Postby briansII » June 3rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

I did a little checking. I think a replacement bladder for a Caddis, Pro 2000 float tube might work for the Wood River tube. They are around $40. The fit might not be perfect, but as long as it fits inside the outer shell, reasonably well, I don't see why it wouldn't work. The biggest concern, is if the fill valve is located correctly to fit the outer shell. If not, you may have to jerry rig something. I assume the backrest bladders are available too.

http://www.shopoutdoors.com/floattubes.html

briansII
briansII

Postby Papasequoia » June 3rd, 2009, 2:52 pm

Thanks much for that advice! I had a go at that knurled knob with a pair of pliers and it wouldn't budge. Maybe there is another one that screws down on top of that one? In any case, there is no kind of membrane in it anyway to keep air from coming out, so my guess is that the whole thing is shot. I will check the store you mentioned and the one Mike mentioned and see if I can find something comparable. As you say, a new bladder that is a decent fit is better than dealing with that one. Thanks again to everyone who had hints and advice. I'll be looking on ebay for those fins everyone seems to like and getting a pair of those. Should be on the water in a week or two! Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby stanbery » June 4th, 2009, 3:24 am

Jon

Glad to see that you got a new toy.

Would you like to try them out on Monday? I can give you some one on one lessons for your first time in a tube.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby flybob » June 4th, 2009, 7:26 am

Hey Jon, welcome to the family of toobers!

Yeah, one by one, all my, "I'm never going to do that(s)" are falling as well :lol:

They are a lot of fun! And you can get into fish, that is just not possible from shore, or places where you cannot launch a boat.

Here is a shot of what woke Mark up from one of his little naps!

That 11" beauty put a bendo in 6wt and fought for a couple of minutes!

I did the molded cheapo fins and busted them while trying to adjust them to my boot right out of the box, sent them back and got a pair of adjustable Force Fins, I used a lot of my points and a coupon to defer some of the costs. I love them, I have already experienced some windy conditions and they worked great.

A Rod leash is good, and a zinger or a leash for anything else you do not want on the bottom of the lake/pond for that matter!

I just bought this PFD from Bass Pro shops, and it fits great, just like my old ski vest! I thought it was a steal for the price, the mesh and pockets were a nice feature too.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... itemDetail

Well Sir, good luck in your new ventures, and I am sure the boys are going to get a KICK out of it too! (pun intended), can't wait for the first post!
bob

One more, I have learned to not drink a lot of coffee on my way to the ponds! :lol:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby BradW » June 4th, 2009, 5:46 pm

Jon,
Glad to see the float tubes. That last picture of the valve, looks like a standard Schrader (sp?) valve like a bike. If you get your tubes in shape, you need to hit Isabella for crappie. PM me if you need directions to our secret spot :roll: . You and the kids would have a blast.
Brad
BradW

Postby Jim T » June 15th, 2009, 6:06 pm

Jon,

Welcome to the tuber fraternity!

I joined late last year and have already enjoyed over 15 different lakes. Looking forward to floating Hot Creek and the Upper O next :)

In addition to what others have offered, here are a few more thoughts:

Personal Fluid Management (PFM) is critical. When the first thought crosses your mind, start heading to shore.

A rod holder (or two or three) is great, especially if you end up taking multiple rods out rigged with different lines (i.e., floating, intermediate, sinking). I take 3 rods out but that's only because I don't have enough reels to take more.

Depending on where you'll be fishing, consider an intermediate sink rate line. It sinks very slowly keeping you in the zone longer if the fish are anywhere near the surface (top 6-8 feet). Can also be used on the surface as it sinks slightly below the surface and is less affected by the wind.

Booties are a big plus. They protect your wader foot when launching or getting out for PFM (see above). You can get the scuba type or just wear a cheap pair of aqua sox type.

Sandals make the walk back to the car from the other side of the lake much more comfortable.

I second the Force Fins. Be careful with the sizing unless you get the adjustable version. I wanted the fixed type but could not find a size to fit my foot (high arch)/bootie combo. I've been happy with the adjustable version even though it adds a little complexity to your routine. Keep an eye on Craig's List. Occasionally someone is selling a tube plus fins and they don't say it but you can see in the picture that they are Force Fins and the package is very cheap.

Consider using or making a lanyard instead of a vest. All the essentials are readily available and you don't have to dry it out when you're done.

Practice casting sitting on your lawn. It's a whole new ballgame to keep your backcast off the water.

There are several good books and DVD's on stillwater fishing from people like Denny Richards, Brian Chan/Skip Morris, Randall Kaufman, Dave Hughes, etc. I especially liked "Lake Fishing Manifesto" by Mike Croft. If we can generate enough interest in the club, maybe one or two of these can be added to our club library. Also check your local library. I've checked out several from mine and saved $'s.

Consider fishing for other species when you can't get to the trout. There are several good books on bluegill and bass fishing available.

I can't make it to the Twin Lakes club outing this weekend but let me know if you're down this way (LA) or heading up to the Mammoth area and we can do a float some time.

Jim T
Jim T

Postby briansII » June 16th, 2009, 10:41 am

wildfly wrote:
1mocast wrote:Now if I can figure out how to easily pee... :D

Duct tape and a wide mouth Mountain Dew bottle :bananadance:

Only dogs can hear the screams?

There is a....I guess you'd call it a device, to use while float tubing. It....uh, attaches and you can....well, you know. I'd post graphic pictures, but after that carp pic, i'm going to lay low.

briansII
briansII

Postby 1mocast » June 16th, 2009, 12:28 pm

:o Hey, If the apollo astronauts can do it, so can I! Or make a mess trying!!! :oo:
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Papasequoia » June 16th, 2009, 2:43 pm

wildfly wrote:
1mocast wrote:Now if I can figure out how to easily pee... :D

Duct tape and a wide mouth Mountain Dew bottle :bananadance:

Does that come in a super-wide mouth for us well-endowed fellas?
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing